R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: write, play, track, mix...yourself  (Read 10528 times)

Fabricoh35

write, play, track, mix...yourself
« on: January 17, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »

I know that most of you here are in bands and you end up doing all or some of the above.  Based on what I have heard you are very successful with it.

What are some of the things you learned about working on your own projects that allow you to be successful?  I feel like I stuggle at times because I'm too close to the whole thing.

Pingu

Re: write, play, track, mix...yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:04:12 AM »

Hi buddy.

Id recomend
track the instruments as best qs you can.

Spend as much time as you have to on the recording.

Then  when all the tracking has completed get away from that song for a month or 2 maybe even longer.

Then mix it

Try a quick master after the mix.

Then leave it alone if you can for 2 or 3 months then master it.

I wish i follwed this advice myself.
This is probably why im shit.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:45:20 AM »

with the secret club i have to let go of what i play and what my focus was on when i wrote the song.

you have to remove yourself from being in the band.

when you sit down to mix it you have to just approach it like it was another project that you had nothing to do with.

it's really hard to do..........

i typically don't track the secret club and i just want to be a band member and focusing on performing.  i do mix everything.

i have a clear vision of where i want the songs to go, and i attempt to take them there while keeping a close eye on clarity.  it's far to easy to get distracted listen to your own parts and what you screwed up or played well.  you have to make sure every one is present and accounted for and the song is being displayed properly (whatever that is)

that's a pretty abstract reply, but it's the best i can do.

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

I don't want to do it ever again.

Chances are I will.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

pg666

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »

Quote:

What are some of the things you learned about working on your own projects that allow you to be successful?

learning how to punch-in with your toes.

seriously.

NelsonL

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »

Tracking alone is the worst part for me, I can overdub fine, but getting the basics is always a struggle.

That and the temptation to start recording before the song is completely written.

The best advice I could give based on my own experience would to bring other people into the process.

Frob

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »

hte hardest part ive found is getting the rest of the band to step back as well. every one wants the finished product the next day and that sipmly should not be done.

chris haines

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:14:44 PM »

I think it's extremely difficult to keep perspective on the tunes if you've written, played on, tracked & produced them yourself...so, I always try to hire a mixer, especially if I'm the singer.  For some reason, if i'm not the singer, i'm way more comfortable mixing it...

Even if you don't have the dough, and the first few hundred records have to go towards paying back the person you hired to mix, I find that it's a worthwhile expense.

Some people can wear all the hats...Ken Andrews in particular...i love all his work and it keeps getting better...

It would be nice to have Chris Walla chime in, particularly 'cause his band is really hitting its stride both artistically and commercially and he kind of checked out early on the thread documenting the making of the new record, which turned out really well...
Rinkydink Audio, studio
The Vulcan Freedom Fighters, band

ex-weasel
ex-publisher
ex-pat

Fabricoh35

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 11:45

it's far to easy to get distracted listen to your own parts and what you screwed up or played well.  you have to make sure every one is present and accounted for and the song is being displayed properly (whatever that is)

That is a very difficult part of the process.  I question whether I really have accounted for everything properly or if I just hear the parts because I know they are there.  I guess though that that would be the same for any mix job because you tend to get real familiar with the material even if it is not your own.

One other thing that I'm working on right now is performance.  When you play multiple parts it can get tempting to skimp on the practicing of those parts.  If you are just one cog in the wheel of a band you practice those songs in preproduction until you can play the part in your sleep.  Well your supposed to anyway.  But all alone you may not tend to practice before you try and put it on tape.  

TheViking

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 04:24:13 PM »

Sometimes as a producer it's easy to lose perspective - even if it isn't your own band.   I have a hard time with it as I always get so caught up in the sounds, song and the vibe of the tracking sessions.   Sometimes it's nice to just let go of the tracks and send them to a mixer.   Every situation is different though.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

dikledoux

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 18 January 2006 11:45

i typically don't track the secret club and i just want to be a band member and focusing on performing.  i do mix everything.

I'd LOVE to not be the tracking guy on anything I have to perform on ever again.  I'd kill if I could just play my instrument with as much focus as my brain and heart could muster... period.

Also... I'd love to do more mixes that I wasn't involved in the tracking.  I say that but I'll probably whine like a little girl about how I coulda tracked it better <g>.

With respect to the OP, I think you just have to try to learn what lessons you can about all the jobs/roles that you're involved in and try to muster enough energy, enthusiasm and commitment about the project and whatever role(s) you've gotten yourself into.  Oh yeah - - try to be completely objective and don't take anything personal - - HA!

dik

[edit - you have to keep your fingers on the home keys or else you inadvertantly type in some kinda code]
"The gypsy woman placed a curse upon my head. Because I smelled it, she decreed I would forevermore be HE WHO DEALT IT!" - the Spleen

John Ivan

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 04:38:54 PM »

I'm doing some tunes,totally by myself right now. I decided to do pre-production in cubase. I'm writing at the piano for this, {rare for me} and the pre-time is helping me keep my distance from a playing stand point. I'm not printing keepers so I seem more relaxed and free to be creative.

The post about taking time away from the stuff is good. I came back to a tune the other day after one month and thought, " wow, is that MY idea?"

It just takes way more time but when I finally sit down to drum it for real I'll be playing parts that are already "done" and well thought out. The only thing I'm leaving open is solo's and Vocal phrasing.

This wont work for everyone but it works for me. This is what I think sequencers are for. All the instruments will be real in the end.

Just take your time and try to be a listener. Be honest with yourself. It's hard.

Ivan.....................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

pg666

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »

Quote:

One other thing that I'm working on right now is performance. When you play multiple parts it can get tempting to skimp on the practicing of those parts. If you are just one cog in the wheel of a band you practice those songs in preproduction until you can play the part in your sleep.

what i'm gonna say probably won't sound too encouraging, but i personally feel like if you're gonna go the 'play most of the instruments yourself' route you should approach each instrument like it IS your main gig.

i just know i've heard too many 'guitar player put down an accoustic guitar part and filled in the rest' songs to know how transparent it usually sounds. rhythm and dynamic-wise it just never quite locks together like a rehearsed band would.

basically, if you honestly think/know it'd sound better to get other people involved, go that route. it's more fun that way anyhow.

Fabricoh35

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

[quote title=pg666 wrote on Thu, 19 January 2006 19:01]
Quote:

basically, if you honestly think/know it'd sound better to get other people involved, go that route. it's more fun that way anyhow.

Not if you played with the guys I have to choose from.  I've got a great chops...no musicality (feel), pretty good feel...no talent (chops), and another 3 or 4 that are just irresponsible and unreliable.

I try not to ask a lot but I can't seem to get even a little and this takes all the fun out of it for me.  They usually tell me that they had a great time, but I come away completely drained.

chris haines

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »

pg666 wrote on Fri, 20 January 2006 01:01

i just know i've heard too many 'guitar player put down an accoustic guitar part and filled in the rest' songs to know how transparent it usually sounds. rhythm and dynamic-wise it just never quite locks together like a rehearsed band would.

Yes, but some great records have been made like this out of necessity (ie...can't find the right drummer/other musicians, need to record & put it out) and might have never seen the light of day if the creative people/person writing the songs hadn't just plowed ahead...

Magnified by Failure comes to mind...the bass player ended up programming the kik and playing the rest of the drums live...

I'd recommend looking around for the right people, but not waiting for them.

Rinkydink Audio, studio
The Vulcan Freedom Fighters, band

ex-weasel
ex-publisher
ex-pat
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 23 queries.