R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality Checking Master - Consumer player or PC?  (Read 7612 times)

zakco

Quality Checking Master - Consumer player or PC?
« on: September 08, 2005, 10:54:45 AM »

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a need to listen to a CD-R master on a standalone consumer style CD player or if listening on my office PC with windows media player is OK? Could a CD-R play fine on WMP but still be unsuitable as a production master?

Btw, I'm using TY silvers on a plextor premium at 8x and doing quality checking AFTER running a plextools C1/C2/CU error test, so I already know that the error rate is acceptably low. (I'm getting C1 rates of .4 avg per second which I understand to be good.)

Thanks,

Zak Cohen - The Woodshop Studio

bobkatz

Re: Quality Checking Master - Consumer player or PC?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:59:43 AM »

zakco wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 10:54

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a need to listen to a CD-R master on a standalone consumer style CD player or if listening on my office PC with windows media player is OK? Could a CD-R play fine on WMP but still be unsuitable as a production master?

Btw, I'm using TY silvers on a plextor premium at 8x and doing quality checking AFTER running a plextools C1/C2/CU error test, so I already know that the error rate is acceptably low. (I'm getting C1 rates of .4 avg per second which I understand to be good.)

Thanks,

Zak Cohen - The Woodshop Studio

That's an excellent question. We don't do it. I guess because we've never had a reject on our Taiyos (also tested for low error rate) yet from plants. There is another factor that the error rate does not test, the RF level from the disc, and I think this affects the discs' readability in marginal players and older players that came out before CDRs. The RF level from a CDR is different than from a pressing. The plant is obviously going to use a good reader so they have an advantage.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TotalSonic

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »

I just use a Denon "prosumer" player as it allows me to verify that any CD Text is correct at the same time also.  

I can't think of an issue where a disc properly burned correct to the book specs and verified to have low BLER and then listened through to confirm tha the audio was correct would have a problem in replication.  

If the master is good any issues that would make the replicated product unplayable in cheap players would most likely occur in plating of the glass or in the molding of the discs.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

zakco

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:56:13 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 08:59

That's an excellent question. We don't do it. I guess because we've never had a reject on our Taiyos (also tested for low error rate) yet from plants. There is another factor that the error rate does not test, the RF level from the disc, and I think this affects the discs' readability in marginal players and older players that came out before CDRs. The RF level from a CDR is different than from a pressing. The plant is obviously going to use a good reader so they have an advantage.

Hi Bob,

After you've had a ref disc approved, do you send masters directly to the pressing plant or do they always go to the artist/producer/label for a listen first?

I'm also selling replication packages to some of my clients and there's something unsettling to me about sending the disc straight to the plant without the client hearing the actual production master and signing off...that's why I'm uptight about giving it a real world listen first.

By the way, I recently purchased your book, and I'm looking forward to digging into it this weekend.  

-Zak

zakco

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 09:24

I just use a Denon "prosumer" player as it allows me to verify that any CD Text is correct at the same time also.

Good point.

Quote:

I can't think of an issue where a disc properly burned correct to the book specs and verified to have low BLER and then listened through to confirm tha the audio was correct would have a problem in replication.  

If the master is good any issues that would make the replicated product unplayable in cheap players would most likely occur in plating of the glass or in the molding of the discs.

That's what I thought, but still I get a little anal about these things sometimes....

-Zak

bobkatz

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:57:41 PM »

zakco wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 15:56

bobkatz wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 08:59

Hi Bob,

After you've had a ref disc approved, do you send masters directly to the pressing plant or do they always go to the artist/producer/label for a listen first?

The physical master is sealed in a plastic bag with a "do not open except at factory" sticker. A COPY of this master is what the artist/producer/label approve.

Quote:

I'm also selling replication packages to some of my clients and there's something unsettling to me about sending the disc straight to the plant without the client hearing the actual production master and signing off...that's why I'm uptight about giving it a real world listen first.

I go by the principle that if a copy of the master sounds good, then the master must be good! But if a client wants to listen to a master, I tell them that my guarantee against errors is void if there are any fingerprints on the CD but they can play it, handle it with care and put it back in the box if that's what they'd like.

Quote:

By the way, I recently purchased your book, and I'm looking forward to digging into it this weekend.  

Wow, thank you very much!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dcollins

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 02:15:01 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 14:57

The physical master is sealed in a plastic bag with a "do not open except at factory" sticker.

No briefcase with a handcuff, like 007?

Quote:

I go by the principle that if a copy of the master sounds good, then the master must be good!

Bzzzzzzzt!  

Someone, if not you, must listen to the master before it goes out!

Simple as that.

Quote:

But if a client wants to listen to a master, I tell them that my guarantee against errors is void if there are any fingerprints on the CD but they can play it, handle it with care and put it back in the box if that's what they'd like.

And I always thought the designers of CD made allowances for fingerprints.  

What a bunch of hacks!  

They laugh at your quarter-wave plate.

The customer will ultimately send a CD to the plant, and there is a pretty good chance it will work, even if the guy has to wipe it on his black t-shirt a couple times before putting it in the Plextor drive.........

DC

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »

If the master can't be loaded in due to abuse by the client. I'll send them another one. It's not like it's the end of the world. I used to send an open copy to client to dupe from and a sealed one directed for plant for the pressings, but I've come to the conclusion that the potential for abuse by the client mishandling is minimal, compared to the benefit of the client to audibly QC the same master that is going to the plant. It also eliminates the ME out of the equation, if the plant screws up.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------