R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Police's "Synchronicity ( Dave Collins and Bob Ludwig)  (Read 14687 times)

K-dub

Re: The Police's "Synchronicity ( Dave Collins and Bob Ludwig)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 11:22:49 PM »

Quote:

I think I'm going to puke.

It's always okay to disagree, but can't such disagreements be framed in a more respectable tone? These are snarl words. They're unnecessary and do nothing to create an environment of civil discord.

Maybe the attempt could be made to phrase rebuttals more lightly without such stinging rebuke? Would not getting a point across w/o attempting to be insulting be, perhaps, a better alternative in order to foster free and open dialogue?

(Just a general reminder that words can unnecessarily hurt; please phrase w/ caution.)

Best,

Kev.

(Leaving now ... soapbox under arm ... exit stage left)
Full length song tracks from "Long Days Passing Fast", my recent release, can now be listened to at KevinWhiteMusic.com

turtletone

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 09:06:06 AM »

K-dub wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 23:22

Quote:

I think I'm going to puke.

It's always okay to disagree, but can't such disagreements be framed in a more respectable tone? These are snarl words. They're unnecessary and do nothing to create an environment of civil discord.

Maybe the attempt could be made to phrase rebuttals more lightly without such stinging rebuke? Would not getting a point across w/o attempting to be insulting be, perhaps, a better alternative in order to foster free and open dialogue?

(Just a general reminder that words can unnecessarily hurt; please phrase w/ caution.)

Best,

Kev.

(Leaving now ... soapbox under arm ... exit stage left)

Yes, that would be true if it were someone else.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

K-dub

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 09:21:08 AM »

I'm sorry, Michael. Those words were the catalyst of my comments, but I tried to use the recent example solely to make a global point. I truly meant nothing direct or personal by it. My apologies if it appeared that way...perhaps I should have used a different approach.

On a tangent...

I went to your site and viewed your studio. What an awesome setup you have! Who did the interior design? Very unique.

(Pardon to all for the off topic sidebar.)

Best-

Kev.  
Full length song tracks from "Long Days Passing Fast", my recent release, can now be listened to at KevinWhiteMusic.com

turtletone

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 09:37:39 AM »

I did all of the work in the room. I got sick of looking at studio grey and wanted as much color I could find.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
www.turtletonestudio.com

Tomás Mulcahy

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 10:26:20 AM »

RickyB wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 20:26

Master tape (without the compensation) would result in a 'Where's the bass' result. This seems to be the problem with the Beatles catalog, compared to Vinyl.

It's very hard to find info on the Beatles. I remember W Whittman posting a while back mentioning that he heard Beatles multis being played back on Mitsubishi- this appears to have been for remix for CD, done at AIR London. That would explain the poor sound of the CDs compared to vinyl. But I find it hard to believe that they would be so bold as to remix. Geoff Emerick started the Anthology with these Mitsubishi copies, but the sound was too brittle for him, so the transfers were redone to Studer A8xx instead. The Anthology stuff sounds much better than the vinyl or the CDs, and Let it Be Naked sounds even better again, although some of the balances were way off IMO. Yellow Sub remixes are excellent.

But in general, I find the Beatles CDs have more bass than a lot of modern stuff, particularly Pepper/ Magical Mystery Tour.

lucey

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 01:51:57 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 22:39

lucey wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 16:14

Allen Corneau wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 14:36

Any other ideas why we would remaster a project?

Better converters in 2005 than 1985.

Thin low end on the first master.

Sales. "Digitally remastered" "Box set" etc.

I think I'm going to puke. Where does a guy with 1 credit to his name get off telling someone how a record done before he was old enough to not pee on the seat should sound? do you not have any shame? respect?

[personal attack edited by moderatpor]

How's that for respect?

I've never heard of you pal ... I do know that your website is full of PR lies and cocky bullshit and I'll take you in a shootout anyday.

Fair enough?

I dont have the Police CDs here so it was a memory based comment ... yet for sure there are a LOT of older CDs that sound thin to my ear (Dire Straits first comes to mind)  ... and they were mastered by bigger names than his.  The biggest names in what field again?  Mastering.  Oh, ahh, grovel  ... (come on it's not like we're Bob Benedetto here) ... names who still do average to shitty work on occasion for $5000/record, and someone approves of it!

Are we clear yet?

(p.s. Your studio decor makes me "puke" ... how annoying and tasteless.  Mastering is about subtlety as you must know ... so I'd be loathe to work in such a LOUD and UNSUBTLE room ...  and I'd be distrutful of anyone with an aesthetic of such MAXIMUM ENERGY.

Visual and aural ... same brain, same aesthetics.)
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

jimmyjazz

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 13:51

I've never heard of you pal ... I do know that your website is full of PR lies and cocky bullshit and I'll take you in a shootout anyday.

Damn!

You may be just returning fire, but I think it might be prudent to back off at this point.  What exactly are your referring to when you say his "website is full of PR lies and cocky bullshit"?  Are you saying he's lying about his credits?  If you are, then that's a very serious accusation, indeed.  And if you aren't, then by a quick glance at his website, I'd say you'd best lay low, because he's got credits out the wazoo . . . and nice ones at that.

lucey

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 13:09

Damn!

You may be just returning fire, but I think it might be prudent to back off at this point.  What exactly are your referring to when you say his "website is full of PR lies and cocky bullshit"?  Are you saying he's lying about his credits?  If you are, then that's a very serious accusation, indeed.  And if you aren't, then by a quick glance at his website, I'd say you'd best lay low, because he's got credits out the wazoo . . . and nice ones at that.

Hey Jimmy,

Sure credits galore ... and if I lived in NYC and did nothing else for 20 years ... same thing.  Credits credits everywhere ...  I'm not impressed by credits, only character. This guys character is far more out to lunch than mine.  Dont let the credits blind you to that.

As for the PR hype/lies in the website I noted those earlier in the thread.  "Special techniques" and "not the usual suspects" .  Bullshit.  Weiss, B+W, etc ... no big deal.

This guy has come at me from left field, so I'm returning fire, as you say.

I have no fear of any MEs ability and no respect for self-appointed ambassadors to the profession with no tact themselves.

TurtleTone wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 08:06

Principles are not personal pal.  

Character 1

Turtle 0

What have I dont to piss you off besides be as confident as you without using the cynical and superior attitude you enjoy?  

Maybe a PM to save this board from more of your venom?  Feel free to PM me and we can hash it out there...
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

dcollins

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 11:25

Sure credits galore ... and if I lived in NYC and did nothing else for 20 years ... same thing.  

If only it were that easy....

Quote:

Credits credits everywhere ...  I'm not impressed by credits, only character.

I never know if there are potential clients on PSW, but if there are, I assume they read Lucey and think:

"Well, he does have the one credit, comes off as a first-class A-hole, disrespectful and dismissive of virtually anyone and everything.

I'm calling Magic Garden!  

They're all about the Character!"

DC

Ed Littman

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 09:37

I did all of the work in the room. I got sick of looking at studio grey and wanted as much color I could find.

Don't let mike fool you. his room is actually black & white .. he just colorized his website cause it cost less!....just kidding Laughing

It sounds freekin good 2
Ed

canada

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

Quote:

I never know if there are potential clients on PSW, but if there are, I assume they read Lucey and think:

"Well, he does have the one credit, comes off as a first-class A-hole, disrespectful and dismissive of virtually anyone and everything.

I'm calling Magic Garden! They're all about the Character!"

Ouch.
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

turtletone

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2005, 10:04:26 PM »

lucey wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 13:25

jimmyjazz wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 13:09

Damn!

Hey Jimmy,

Sure credits galore ... and if I lived in NYC and did nothing else for 20 years ... same thing.  Credits credits everywhere ...  I'm not impressed by credits, only character. This guys character is far more out to lunch than mine.  Dont let the credits blind you to that.

As for the PR hype/lies in the website I noted those earlier in the thread.  "Special techniques" and "not the usual suspects" .  Bullshit.  Weiss, B+W, etc ... no big deal.

This guy has come at me from left field, so I'm returning fire, as you say.

I have no fear of any MEs ability and no respect for self-appointed ambassadors to the profession with no tact themselves.

TurtleTone wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 08:06

Principles are not personal pal.  

Character 1

Turtle 0

What have I dont to piss you off besides be as confident as you without using the cynical and superior attitude you enjoy?  

Maybe a PM to save this board from more of your venom?  Feel free to PM me and we can hash it out there...

Lucey, If only you knew, but you don't, so bash on. It's easy for someone as of yourself to critisize, you've got nothing to stand on, so you've got nothing to lose. IF you were as good as you think you are, then you'd have something to show for it, but you don't. So now it's because you choose to live in Ohio that you have no credits, that's a convienent out. The difference between you and me is respect. given technology, tastes, trends, albums sound the way they do for a reason. I don't mind the board viewing the venom, as long as Brad thinks it AOK.

If you've never heard of me, that's ok by me. I'm not concerned with you, only my clients.
35 platinum and gold albums. 2 grammy records, 6 grammy nominated records. This is not because I live in NYC, in fact I've got more competition in five blocks than you have in 5 states. Jealousy is an ugly friend to have hanging around. If you spent less time hating and more time mastering, you too could have more clients, and therefore more credits.

I've sat back and have read your crap for far too long, As I think a few others have. You will not bully respect for yourself, you're not that good. You have to earn it. How does one earn respect you ask? first off, you give it. You acknowledge those that have come before you and paved the way. Allowing you to stand on their shoulders. Then you learn from them. How many great and respected engineers have you learned from? maybe none. I think your posts say that.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
www.turtletonestudio.com

mikepecchio

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 10:32:50 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 22:04

I've sat back and have read your crap for far too long, As I think a few others have.

Surely I can't be the only one who uses the "ignore all messages by this user" feature.  

Bob Boyd

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 11:55:52 PM »

Man, Al
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2005, 12:17:52 AM »

TurtleTone wrote on Mon, 25 July 2005 21:04

I've sat back and have read your crap for far too long.

Well that's the pot calling the kettle black.  

For the sake of the forum, both of you guys need to take yourselves and your discographies to PM.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 19 queries.