R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: L-2 Hardware Software comparisons  (Read 20113 times)

greg charles

L-2 Hardware Software comparisons
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:05:13 PM »

I have not used them in the same room at the same time. But I did use them on the same project. When I used the L-2 hardware for the first time I initially thought I couldn’t recognize any sonic differences.  I was really expecting the L-2 hardware to be "better" in some way but I couldn’t honestly tell myself that.

Yes using both in the same room at the same time would help.

The only possible difference I thought was maybe you could push the L-2 hardware a bit further before the nasty....

Anyone done any tests to find differences and similarities?

lagerfeldt

Re: L-2 Hardware Software comparisons
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:26:20 PM »

Basically the same in terms of sound to my ears.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »

Before I sold my hardware L2 years ago, I confirmed with Waves that the software version was the same algorithm.

I didn't notice a difference when I switched.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

The algorithm in both is exactly the same.  The hardware and TDM versions use 48bit fixed point math - the native one uses 32bit floating point.

The hardware one has the ability to be set for dual mono instead of linked stereo though - and many people report for some material this gives less artifacts.  It's extremely easy to set this same thing up in a DAW though by using two instances of the L2 (one processing left channel only - the other processing right channel only).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Ronny

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 01:46:26 PM »

Where did you hear the native ones use 32 float, Steve? Even the software L1 uses 48 bit double precision. The L1 and L2 on the Waves y56k and y96k cards also use 48 bit.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »

TotalSonic wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 12:41

The hardware one has the ability to be set for dual mono instead of linked stereo though - and many people report for some material this gives less artifacts.

We run our hardware L2s Un-Linked (dual mono), thought it sounded mo' better.

Also run our Manley Vari Mus Un-Linked... more open sounding.

We also have the software versions L1, 2 & 3... but I like knobs better.

peace
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:58:36 PM »

Ronny wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 18:46

Where did you hear the native ones use 32 float, Steve? Even the software L1 uses 48 bit double precision. The L1 and L2 on the Waves y56k and y96k cards also use 48 bit.

Just looked at the manual and looks like you're right Ronny.
Some hosts will change the 24bit integer returned figure to 32bit floating point math though before passing it on to the next process in the chain.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

bobkatz

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »

Ronny wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 13:46

Where did you hear the native ones use 32 float, Steve? Even the software L1 uses 48 bit double precision.

This is incorrect, Ronny. You can't compute fixed point in a floating point processor. All native plugins use floating point at this point in time.

Quote:

The L1 and L2 on the Waves y56k and y96k cards also use 48 bit.

Now this may be true, and the reason is those cards use the Motorola chips.

But every other software plugin in the Waves line that is Native (and not TDM) uses floating point internally. Waves' literature sometimes gets this mixed up as you will find a manual sometimes that refers to double precision, but this needs to be clarified as it mixes up the "facts" with the "fiction."

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 12:17:23 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 22:26

Ronny wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 13:46

Where did you hear the native ones use 32 float, Steve? Even the software L1 uses 48 bit double precision.

This is incorrect, Ronny. You can't compute fixed point in a floating point processor. All native plugins use floating point at this point in time.

Quote:

The L1 and L2 on the Waves y56k and y96k cards also use 48 bit.

Now this may be true, and the reason is those cards use the Motorola chips.

But every other software plugin in the Waves line that is Native (and not TDM) uses floating point internally. Waves' literature sometimes gets this mixed up as you will find a manual sometimes that refers to double precision, but this needs to be clarified as it mixes up the "facts" with the "fiction."

BK

Understood Bob, I have the L2 hardware manual and it says 48 double precision. I also have the L1 software plug, so I checked that pdf manual and it said 48 bit double precision. I was under the assumption that even processing in 32 bit, the plug in processes at 48 and than returns to 32. That's what the y56k and y96k do, they receive 32 bit from the consoles internal buss, process at 48 and return to 32 bit. The L1 on the y56k does this, it has no IDR and is designed for single multi track processing. The L1+ OTOH, has IDR and is recommended to use on the output buss. The L2 has IDR and is also meant to be used as a last process on the output buss. The digital outputs are all 24 bit, the processor works at 48 bit and than the IDR dithers the quantization to 24 for the AES, Tdif, ADAT or SPdif 24 bit outputs. I haven't seen a Waves manual yet that says the software plugs work at 32 bit, so naturally I was confused as to why I hear people saying that the plugs (non-TDM) process at 32 as the manuals all say 48 double precision.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------