R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: this is blowing my mind  (Read 11940 times)

xonlocust

Re: this is blowing my mind
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 02:39:52 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 13:21

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:01

j.hall wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:51

i think it's called prog rock.  i think there is not a single ounce of "punk" in the radiant republic of texas.  

here's where the interesting debate comes in - cuz i think it's punk as fuck - but i've always had to distinguish "punk" as in so-cal AFI or green day type punk - as nothing at all to do with punk.  

Oddly enough, those are both Nor Cal bands. Go figure.

whatever. when's california gonna fall into the ocean anyway?

Smile

John Ivan

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »

I really like this.. It's very interesting to say the least.. This guy has great musical chops!!

I dig all kinds of stuff. I like everything from Black Flag, Rage Against the Machine to Earth Wind And Fire, Tower Of Power, The Fab four and all in between..

This, to me is somewhat punkish from a vocal stand point, but musically, it reminds me of early YES and so on. Not that it "sounds" like that really, just the mind set it takes to present such rich musical ideas, is clearly present here..

Interesting to note that this could played on the Piano and could be seen as being somewhat ground breaking "post modern" Art by people who don't go anywhere near electric guitar music. ;-}

I'm very impressed. AND I like it too.. Great job..... Thanks for doing it!!!

Ivan........................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

j.hall

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 03:24:41 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 13:39

Smile

i've heard that some people are buying up property along the NV border for the future projection of it being beach front.

sad but true...........

NelsonL

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 03:28:11 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 11:39

i think it's called prog rock.  i think there is not a single ounce of "punk" in the radiant republic of texas.  

here's where the interesting debate comes in - cuz i think it's punk as fuck - but i've always had to distinguish "punk" as in so-cal AFI or green day type punk - as nothing at all to do with punk.  

Smile

Depends-- when are you playing out here?

Whatever on hot topic punk to be sure, but whatever on the different and varied regions of this great state? No sir, no indeed.

Perhaps you're merely alergic to beauty, being that you're from the midwest.

I kid, I kid.

Chicago is a lovely burg by the way-- only been there once to speak of, oddly enough considering I've been to Milwaukee four or five times. Anyway we ate at this Black Israelite Vegetarian Soul Food restaurant that was awesome.

NelsonL

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 12:24

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 13:39

Smile

i've heard that some people are buying up property along the NV border for the future projection of it being beach front.

sad but true...........

Right... cuz the ocean is acutely aware of state borders.

xonlocust

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 03:33:24 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 14:28

Smile

Whatever on hot topic punk to be sure, but whatever on the different and varied regions of this great state? No sir, no indeed.

I kid, I kid.

Chicago is a lovely burg by the way-- only been there once to speak of, oddly enough considering I've been to Milwaukee four or five times. Anyway we ate at this Black Israelite Vegatarian Soul Food restaurant that was awesome.

no - i'm just joking too - i lived in san francisco for a short period and have family there too - i'm just playing around. personally i love chicago - SF is on the very short list of other places i would live - and bottom of the hill is perhaps he best venue i've ever played.

pg666

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 04:18:57 PM »

leave for 1 morning and look what happens..

i think i agree with most of what people are saying.. it IS probably punk rock philosophically, but not necessarily sonically. in the early 80s everything from sonic youth to mission of burma to saccharine trust was 'punk rock'. nowadays it's synonimous with gallup beats and downstroke muting or whatever. i feel like if you have to say "well, it's like punk rock the way punk rock was before it became corrupted by charlatans and.." then maybe 'punk rock' is no longer a useful term. i dunno.. i like abrasive music, i like minor-key melodies, i like dynamics and odd-time signatures (i DON'T like prog.. go figure), so it is what it is. i think if more people made music based on elements they like (even if they don't know how it will turn out) instead of thinking what genre they want to be a part of, there would be a hell-of-a lot more great records being made right now.

..and thank you for the compliments.

j.hall

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 04:34:56 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 14:30

Right... cuz the ocean is acutely aware of state borders.

similar to my thoughts when i heard of this trend.

brian.....find a drummer and take RROT to the street already.  i want to see these songs live with you standing on the PA stack playing in 15/8.

NelsonL

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 04:59:40 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 12:33

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 14:28

Smile

I kid, I kid.

Chicago is a lovely burg by the way-- only been there once to speak of, oddly enough considering I've been to Milwaukee four or five times. Anyway we ate at this Black Israelite Vegatarian Soul Food restaurant that was awesome.

no - i'm just joking too - i lived in san francisco for a short period and have family there too - i'm just playing around. personally i love chicago - SF is on the very short list of other places i would live - and bottom of the hill is perhaps he best venue i've ever played.

Playing there tomorrow night!

danickstr

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2005, 08:25:47 PM »

Well I am an older guy and I just categorize based on what I know of the music scene as it applies to my limited sphere.  It does sound punk-esque, and I like that sound.  I have always liked stuff that wasn't necessarily polished in the standard way, but i think in the right hands this stuff could be more listenable from an execution of engineering and precision of timing.  

Many folks think that to clean it up will hurt its vibe.  Only in the hands of someone who doesn't understand the vision of the artist's original intentions.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

pg666

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 09:50:34 PM »

i think the 'listenability' factor lies in the music itself and not the way it was recorded. it sounds messy because it is messy.

i don't think the way it was recorded has anything to do with it. it certainly wasn't recorded on lo-fi equipment to give it some kind of grungy 'edge' or anything.

bblackwood

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »

In my experiences listening to RRoT, I've always felt that they were truly genuine, from the songs and emotion to the tones on tape. To attempt to 'polish' the production would only hinder all the effort that was put into making the art, imo.

I think the stuff sounds great as is, but I'm admittedly biased...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

j.hall

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »

so, we've had brian and brad comment, now all we need is greg norman and the production team will be complete.

how many records have you ever heard like this that were completely done by only three people.  that's impressive.

danickstr

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »

I guess the real question is how successful do the artists want to be?   They won't sell a million copies of its current incarnation, since mainstream US doesn't buy the messy stuff.  

Do they risk the production pitfalls to try it or not?  It's great to have a niche market, but if the music really says something, doesn't it deserve a chance in a bigger arnea?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

TheViking

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2005, 12:32:36 PM »

Great stuff!!!   'Commercial success' is as vague a term as 'industry stadard'.   It all depends on what circles you run in.   I think you've won our votes pg666.

When I was interning, a producer then told me this.   You could have the best gear and get the best sounds in the best rooms and have the best label and best marketing budget, even get on the best tour.   If the song isn't happening, no one cares.

Just some food for thought.   Enjoying RROT a ton - thanks again!
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.