R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: this is blowing my mind  (Read 11925 times)

j.hall

this is blowing my mind
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:28:47 PM »

http://www.myspace.com/radiantrepublicoftexas

the guy that creates all this is a lurker/poster around here.  cool guy, incredible player!!!!

easily my current favorite record to listen to/try to keep up with.

enjoy!

Tidewater

Re: this is blowing my mind
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 08:17:02 PM »

holy shit.. I always told my mother, "Yeah? Just be glad I don't play drums!".

Smile

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

pg666

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 08:51:55 AM »

Embarassed

I'm glad you're liking it, J.

officially 'outed',
brian

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »

you outed yourself.....

but man, the radiant stuff is really good.  if you could only find a drummer that could keep up it would be an awesome live show.

i know a REALLY good drummer that i hit up to contact you, but he doesn't think he can "hang".  hey, i tired!

max cooper

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 02:11:06 PM »

"He plays all the instruments himself cuz he has no friends"

Then right below that:

"Radiant Republic of Texas has 178 friends"

I'm confuzzed.

Nice work!
I'm infinitely baffled.

pg666

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »

self-deprecating sense of humor!

besides, when's the last time you went to a bar or played frisbee with your 'myspace friend'?
Razz

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:47:54 PM »

pg666 wrote on Tue, 06 December 2005 14:32

besides, when's the last time you went to a bar or played frisbee with your 'myspace friend'?
Razz

last firday night i hung out with about 40 of my myspace friends..............at a bar, no frisbee

danickstr

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:59:54 AM »

is that kind of music still called punk?  it was interesting raw and with production could be really cool.  good like that, just really rough for me.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:51:30 AM »

i think it's called prog rock.  i think there is not a single ounce of "punk" in the radiant republic of texas.  

i think the production is perfect for the style of music and what i perceive as the goal of such artistry.

it's supposed to be raw, slightly abrasive, and in your face.  too much polish on this would make it to sterile.

xonlocust

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:01:11 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:51

i think it's called prog rock.  i think there is not a single ounce of "punk" in the radiant republic of texas.  

here's where the interesting debate comes in - cuz i think it's punk as fuck - but i've always had to distinguish "punk" as in so-cal AFI or green day type punk - as nothing at all to do with punk.  

Quote:

it's supposed to be raw, slightly abrasive, and in your face.  too much polish on this would make it to sterile.

which is precisely why i deem this punk, and green day american idiot a pop record.

this record was made by a dude who had an awesome idea, with pretty much zero hope of any financial gain, or more than gain, recoupment. it'll never be played live, and will probably never be played on the radio, and he probably paid for it all out of his own pocket with zero chance of seeing a dime for his work - and gets nothing other than the intrinsic satisfaction of doing things his own damn way despite the hundreds of reason's why it's a "bad" idea to do so.  in that respect - it is punk as fuck and takes way more balls than fall out boy or whatever.  

i guess you have to distinguish the mindset and environement in creating "the thing" from "the thing" that is created.  the mindset and environment are what's more interesting, and probably most important to me.  

like you know how on some feelgood summertime movie there's the inevitable high school party scene with the pop-punk background music that signifies rebellion and youth and that crap? that's so far far removed from what is punk in my mind.  that is a characacture of what punk is.  a poorly abstracted and recontextualized pastiche of elements of punk from the 70s to today.

not that i'm arguing j. - i know you know where i'm coming from - i'm just trying to clarify for others.

in other news i watched jay z's fade to black the other night and was totally amazed.   i have a new found respect for him and was struck to how similar i thought hip-hop and punk was - that's one that's sure to raise some eyebrows.

like i'm gozar the keymaster of declaring what is and isn't punk or something... Smile  just my overrated opinion.

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 01:19:07 PM »

the motivation, execution and mindset of radiant republic of texas is punk....i agree.  

if we think of all these labels (which i hate) as a sorta "kingdom, class, species" type thing.  one could easily put Punk at the top of all the sub genres that have now been labeled "indie rock".  it isn't super fast and nasty like "punk rock" once was.  but it closely resembles the same mindset.

so yeah, radiant republic of texas is punk rock for that.

but the poster above is refering to the music.  where you and i can sit for hours and debate sweater rock vs. emo-core it makes no freaking difference.

the poster thought RROT was punk rock by style.  sorry, no shirt, no shoes, no dice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's not punk.  it's over indulgent indie rock.....it's PROG at it's very finest.  eat your heart out mars volta we give you the radiant republic of texas.............

so if we are going to cast stones (labels) let's just end it......

RROT is rock n roll.  if you dig the brand of rock they are creating, AWESOME, if you aren't, find another flavor and nod your head to that.

it's all rock n roll

gozar the keymaster signing off!  (that's right kids, i'm the flippin keymaster around here and don't you forget it!)

scott volthause

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 01:47:16 PM »

I'd like to see music get narrowed down to about 4 genre's...

Suck.

Good.

Awesome.

Bad Ass.

I'd put RROT into Bad Ass.

craig boychuk

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »

Ideed.

Nice work, Brian!

I rarely want to purchase music, but I'm gonna have to get a copy of that stuff...!!!!! Not that I mind spending money on music, I just can't find anything I like.

If only I weren't so far away, maybe you'd have a drummer...
ha ha ha...

craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

xonlocust

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 02:03:40 PM »

scott volthause wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 12:47

I'd like to see music get narrowed down to about 4 genre's...

Suck.

Good.

Awesome.

Bad Ass.

I'd put RROT into Bad Ass.

true - how true!

overintellectualizing something that shouldn't be intellectualized.... Smile

NelsonL

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 02:21:33 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:01

j.hall wrote on Thu, 08 December 2005 10:51

here's where the interesting debate comes in - cuz i think it's punk as fuck - but i've always had to distinguish "punk" as in so-cal AFI or green day type punk - as nothing at all to do with punk.  

Oddly enough, those are both Nor Cal bands. Go figure.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.