R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for other API owners  (Read 1885 times)

hollywood_steve

A question for other API owners
« on: February 24, 2005, 02:54:23 PM »

While the DSM system offered by API seems really cool, and the upscale variation from Pelonis Sound is even more appealing, I was wondering how many peole out there have "rolled their own" utilizing some combination of 7800/8200 units and standard 500 series modules?  The only real stumbling block that I forsee is the lack of any way to access the 4 busses (not including the stereo bus) available on the 7800.  As far as I have been able to determine, only the 7600 channel strip units provide any means of accessing these 4 busses.  If you do not include any 7600 units, I can't see how to access the busses.  Which seems really strange as the DSM rig from API includes metering for these 4 busses even though the "complete" DSM system does not included any 7600 modules.  

I will be very happy if someone can describe some method of sending signal to these busses from the 8200 units, but I sure can't see how.  And this API mixer system is of limited utility if I can't access those busses somehow. (still useful, but less so than it could be.)  What is API's intention with the DSM with regards to the busses?  Do they include metering for them on the off chance that a customer will spring for several 7600 units after purchasing a $15k or $20k DSM rig?  Or is there some way to access these busses without 7600 channel strips?

Brian Roth

Re: A question for other API owners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 11:55:03 PM »

API's docs are "weak" at best, but it appears the expansion bus ribbon connector provides access to the 4 buses:

pin 15 = bus 1 "+"
pin 16 = bus 1 "-"
pin 19 = bus 2 "+"
pin 20 = bus 2 "-"
pin 23 = bus 3 "+"
pin 24 = bus 3 "-"
pin 27 = bus 4 "+"
pin 28 = bus 4 "-"

With that info and a bit of (what should be easy) reverse engineering you should be able to inject whatever you wish onto the buses.  It's unclear if they are actually using true balanced busing, or if the "-" legs are actually some sort of ground return.

There are two places to look...the sending side on a 7600 and the mix bus side in the 7800.  I'm guessing the 7800 provides a "virtual ground" summing amp for each bus.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 18 queries.