R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKH 406  (Read 16784 times)

Gunnar Hellquist

Sennheiser MKH 406
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:14:13 AM »

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Sennheiser MKH406 at a decent price. As I understand it they are early from the MKH series and not made anymore. Can anyone share their experience in using those mics. My primary usage will probably be as a far-field stereo pair for acoustic music.

In general, would this kind of mic need (or benefit) from any servicing? They have probably mostly been resting in a locker for many years. Is my best bet then to contact the local Sennheiser here in Sweden (Sweden is now part of EU so I can probably as easy go directly to the factory)?

Gunnar Hellquist
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

matucha

Re: Sennheiser MKH 406
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 07:31:07 AM »

I have 405, don't know what the difference is since both they are cardiods. Nevermind, my piece is heavy sounding, very smooth with a lot of details trhrough all the spectrum. Runs by T-Power so you have to get PSU for them.

The mic needs realigning the RF frequency time to time, I was told it is simple procedure with voltmeter (or so), maybe someone could eleborate about it here. There are for sure threads about it at pro.audio groups.

Once the capsule dies, you can use the mic as doorstop (breaking the first hand info here, it's a pleasure not to have expirience with that Wink.

analog Tom

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 12:13:46 PM »

The 406 came in both "T" and "P" power schemes, so it is important to know which version is being offered.  You will need to verify that your other equipment will interface properly if the mics are the "T" version.  

Sennheiser has (or had) .pdf files of the operation and service manuals for these available.  

Cordially,
Tom

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 03:05:37 PM »

Oops.

Just checked. It is a P48 version.

I have searched the Sennheiser webpage, no luck so far.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 10:46:23 AM »

Just a short feedback.

I did buy the mics. Only done small tests so far, but they seem to work from what I have seen so far. They are in good physical condition and I cannot hear anything obvious wrong with them. Hope to try them in the weekend on a string group comparing them to a pair of KM184.

I guess I will contact Sennheiser here in Sweden and see if they have any offerings on measuring / servicing the mics, not that I offhand believe they will need it.

Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

matucha

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 01:02:24 PM »

I'm curious about that comparison....

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 01:50:26 PM »

Nothing this weekend though. Other things had to be taken care of. Hopefully wednesday instead, but no promises. Full report will come.
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

PP

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 10:41:26 AM »

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:15:23 PM »

Peter,
     grateful for your pointer. I will post my questions as you said.

As info, I have done some first test recordings with the mics.  I A/B-ed them against a pair of KM184 on a string orchestra. (both sets of mics on the same four place stereo bar). Good sound.

No real conclusions to be drawn from this test given the poor acoustical sorroundings. The KMH seems to sound close to the KM184-s, a bit more output level and, just perhaps, a little less "sharp". Looking forward to testing more later.

Gunnar.

Addition:
John gave a nice answer on the forum.
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

matucha

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 05:47:17 PM »

Any new findings? I mean, did it proove usefullness?

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 02:43:13 AM »

Hi Matous,
    I´ve only used them for home recordings so far. Happy with them and like them more every time I use them. Next occasion for real test will be October 3rd at a chamber music concert. Remember, I am doing this as an amateur so it is not every day I do recordings. I will probably put them up as my main pair in ORTF.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

matucha

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 04:36:02 AM »

Wink, well I got my almost accidentaly and I liked it very much and I was surpriced why it is almost ignored on forums...

matucha

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 10:57:49 AM »

Just tried it (405 Tpowered) on voiceover. The guy has very deep, but raspy voice with some excesive silibance. My friends attempts to capture that voice with Rode NT1000 and focusrite TwinTrack always ended sound hard and kind of "metalic". Now 405 through Manley Dual Mono (at 45dB) works veeery nice, I just needed to cut ~2dB around 600Hz and put gentle de-esser on... and it was "warm" and finished (OK, there was also some compression in the end too Wink ).

Nice...

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »

Hi matucha,
  first real recording. An amateur orchestra playing a set of chamber music in various settings. I used the KMH-s on a trio of Flute / Cello / Cembalo playing one of the Hallen sonatas by H
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

matucha

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 05:04:31 PM »

that's exactly opposite what I have with (405)... the mic is on the heavy side, it isn't like highs rolloff, but like small tilt. And it goes all the way down, pretty low.

I don't know the difference between 405 and 406, never been able to spot it anywhere on the web. Both are cardiods. Maybe 406 has built in rolloff?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 20 queries.