R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why isn't music beautiful anymore?  (Read 7949 times)

eightyeightkeys

Re: Why isn't music beautiful anymore?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »

One's person's trash is another person's gold. True.

But another measure could be :

as a musician, ask yourself how much music today inspires you to lift it ?

Or, an old thread asked how many musicians out there would want to play in a cover band today playing today's Top 40 ? Could you stand it ?

I couldn't.
Dave T.
D&D Music

maxdimario

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »

Dave @ D&D wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 21:49

One's person's trash is another person's gold. True.

But, as a musician, you may ask yourself how much music today inspires you to lift it ?
Or, an old thread asked how many musicians out there would want to play in a cover band today playing today's Top 40 ? Could you stand it ?

I couldn't.

I agree absolutely.

and I don't want them as company in my living room either.

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 04:04:11 PM »

Sorry max, I decided to edit  my post but ya' beat me to it.
Dave T.
D&D Music

maxdimario

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2005, 04:18:14 PM »

When I said I don't want them in my living room, I meant I don't want to hear the records in my living room because I don't want to be subjected to that kind of musical 'world' or experience.

I wouldn't want that band playing live in my house, because the vibe to me is not uplifting and/or doesn't give me anything.

I hope I made myself clear now.

Didn't get why you apologised, just now.

rollmottle

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »

posts like this make me think the poster is looking for "beauty" in the wrong places or not looking deep enough or has a really narrow interpretation of the word. no offense intended by that statement, but how could any of us be able to be this into music if all there was to listen to these days were Blink 182's and Britney Spears's? come on man, dig deeper!

there's plenty of beautiful (such a subjective term...i think Sonic Youth make beautiful music, others may dismiss it as noise) music out there being produced by many thousands of talented and creative folks on major labels, indie labels, in huge studios, in bedrooms...you name it, it's there and it spans every genre imaginable and even ones yet not imagined. sure, i'd have given a left nut to be old enough to appreciate a world where Steely Dan, Kraftwerk, and Television could co-exist, but today there is a veritable endless variety of really good new music to chose from. not every record can be "Dark Side of the Moon", nor do i expect it to be. if those were the kind of expectations i had about every piece of music i acquired old and new, i'd be one miserable lout with a lot of worn out copies of DSOTM.

and if that doesn't work for you, there's nothing stopping you from making your own beautiful music.

cheers,

RM
SENTRALL Sound East
My SoundCloud | Twitter | www.sentrall.com

vernier

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 04:58:37 PM »

I'd much rather hear Blink than the one's you mentioned after.

vernier

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2005, 04:59:39 PM »

But over-all, I don't think different era's of music can be compared fairly. The earliest baby-bommer creations connected with an extremely large group, and that group's little gen-X brothers and sisters grew up hearing it too. I think the best creators were the earliest boomers, which grew up in countrys where there was lots of post-war optimism. I think it effected them. And it was then and there that rock originated. And funny, I just discovered the band Garbage ..got their latest CD and thought they were a new young band. Nope, as it turns out, they're boomers.

WhyKooper

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2005, 05:14:06 PM »

..........."Yeah, but once upon a time there was a lot of beautiful music, nowadays it's hard to find........."

I agree with the answer that "you are old".  That's why you no longer hear beautiful music.  

And when I say "old", I mean state of mind.  If Ahmet Ertegun had been "old"..ie: stuck in the big band days, that poor guy couldn't have done what he did in his later years.  He would've constantly been trying to groom the next Benny Goodman in 1967.

I remember "old guys" putting their hands over their ears at the pop stuff going on in 1962.  This is really true.  I liked a lot of stuff then.  The old guys were complaining to me...asking why the beautiful melodic music of the big band era wasn't coming back.  Those guys are mostly dead now I think.

I remember "old guys" putting their hands over their ears to most of the pop stuff of 1964-1969.  These old guys didn't like the Beatles, Stones, Buffalo Springfield (my favs after I saw them), Beach Boys, Cream, Hendrix...none of the acts of that era.  The old guys of THAT point (and this really was true) complained there was too much guitar stuff in pop music...everything sounded the same.  THESE old guys wanted the Four Preps, Andy Wiliams and that style to come back.  Some still couldn't get over Elvis not being top of the charts anymore.  It was intense.  One guy who complained to me all the time had been a big deal organist for radio shows before tv was invented.  He was really into the Lawrence Welk approach.  Ok, I had a perspective on where he was coming from and why he didn't like anything on the radio for the entire decade of the 60s.  I even played a record for him in 68 or 69 or whatever that I thought was such a cool example of pop structure in terms of writing/arrrangement/engineering etc (Stone Soul Picnic by The Fifth Dimension).  He thought it sucked.

I think most of those old guys are dead now too.

I remember old guys in the 1970's who hated all that music.  They didn't like the Allman brothers, didn't like Paul McCartney's solo stuff...didn't like the Eagles, didn't like Disco...didn't like anything on the radio.  Didn't like the Philadelphia stuff.  Didn't like Stevie Wonder.  Although I met a couple of old guys who kinda liked Barry Manilow and the Carpenters.  I'm pretty sure they probably didn't like the punk thing that came in during 1979, or the Urban Cowboy/Dallas phase of the first three or so years of the 80's.

Not sure how many of those old guys are dead now.

In the 80's...same thing.  The old guys of THAT era were the guitar guys from the late 50's-early 60's who put their hands over their ears whenever they heard a record with a drum machine or polyphonic synth.  Which meant their hands were over their ears a lot.  They didn't like Prince, didn't like Duran Duran, didn't like the long-hair metal bands (obviously)...THOSE old guys kept saying, why isn't there beautiful music like there was in the early 60's....which was a clue to me that the old guys who complained in the 60s' must've now been dead because there was now a twenty+ year spread since those "over-40's guys" had been complaining to me.

I don't know if those old guys from the 80's are still alive, but I'll tell ya... I distance myself from folks in every era who say music sucks or "where did all the great music go".  That state of mind is a sure sign that it's all over baby!  Which isn't really conducive if you're IN the music biz.  Which I am.

There is beautiful, incredible music in every single era...all the time.  There is also junk in every era..although I don't mind hearing Disco Duck, Convoy, a Fabian song, and a Milli Vanili song every so often.  

I have heard so much incredible stuff this past year that it just constantly floors me.  The great cycle never ends.  It just keeps spinning off to a new take.

t(h)ik

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2005, 06:50:08 PM »

Sorry,

I respectfully disagree about the being old thing.

I understand you think it is a frame of mind.

But I can give you just as many examples of young people who think the Doors are a movie.  They don't like Hendrix...they think Green Day is a great live band....lmao...

On the other hand cats come over to the studio that are twenty-two years old and they are rocking out to my Buddy Guy and Elmore James vinyl.  Lot's of kidz in the Metal community here are into 70's Pink Floyd.

I am not as old as you are but I go to French Grindcore gigs and most people that are in the 40's have no idea what it is.

I agree that there is cool stuff out there today but old people are not the only ones who are trapped in the box.

When I get out my records there are kidz who come by and ask me what the fukk was that and ask me if you can "rip" a record?!?!?  and there are also kidz who act like I'm twisting off cat necks....these are the kidz who will be the old guys that are dead now...

Or I'm full of shit....

either way I'm having fun here....

Lemme nough when it's over...

Steely Dan, Alan Parsons?

I guess I was already dead at 17

If you limit yourself to Bagpipe music that was recorded before 1950 you are not going to be a very happy camper leaving the house.

Tik
I used to be self effacing, but I couldn't even do that right....
www.pmtstudios.com

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2005, 07:45:31 PM »

To each his or her own.

It has nothing to do with age. My wife is the same age as I am and she likes hip-hop. I threatened divorce. (Note to self-work on poker face)
Dave T.
D&D Music

John Ivan

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2005, 10:34:27 PM »

There is still a lot of really great music being made IMO. It's just that there is a huge number of records being made compared to "back in the day".. A whole bunch of the new stuff sucks IMO. Some of it always has.Some of it has always been great. One thing you can do is to just stop listening to the radio all together. When it comes to pop music, I'm not a fan of a lot of the new rock and roll and it does have something to do with the fact that I'm going to be 41 years old.

IMO, There is a lot of great stuff being made now but it isn't being marketed to the masses because people who work at labels and program Radio are a bunch of pussies.

Another thing that has changed pop music is that not much of it is played anymore. Takes of the band that I would keep in a heart beat are being edited together so they sound Perfect. Don't look at pop if you want art.

Kids are buying 999,999,999,999,999,999, computers per hour to build a "studio" and at least this many bands are being started every day. This means that certain "Filters" in our culture that kept hacks out, are now gone.

Look for really great musicians and writers who don't have deals. In many many cases they are the best thing going but forgot to put holes all over their body and they don't look like they are dying from drug addiction so, they can't have a deal.

Don't look at pop music. It's just all mostly bad these days.

I know a jazz/groove band In Traverse city Michigan that is among the finest you can find anywhere. Hardly anyone could give a shit.

I'm one of those guys who went into a deep depression when the 90's "GRUNGE" thing hit. The shit is out of tune and the players were a bad joke and my band, full of life long players was out of work, over night. Thankfully, this sound is mostly gone but the rest of the rock and roll with the whiny "singers?" is just as bad. Man, I sure am glad I don't listen to the radio anymore.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

wwittman

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2005, 10:35:05 PM »

Green Day IS a great live band.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

John Ivan

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 10:50:55 PM »

wwittman wrote on Sun, 24 July 2005 21:35

Green Day IS a great live band.

Yeah, they are man. I like Green Day. I do however think that when it comes to what is being fed to the kids, they are one of a few exceptions.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Middleman

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 12:21:03 AM »

Why isn't music beautiful anymore?

Because the gate keepers are of the minority (not racial mind you) mind set. Minority as in niche interests.

Because the musicians have no place to play to hone their art.

Because people think that the only good music is dance music. Try dancing to "Since I've been loving you" or "Black Dog" by Zep. These songs where FM play in their day.

Because when FM stopped being a refuge from AM dance music, the music died.

Because music no longer drives the business. The Business drove the music, into the ground.

vernier

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 12:37:50 AM »

Business always creeps into music discussions, but why? People would gather and play a thousand years before colonel Parker came along.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.