R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: forced to use PT, need some help  (Read 16014 times)

pipelineaudio

forced to use PT, need some help
« on: April 23, 2005, 09:31:02 PM »

They will buy me a PTHD system, but want to put it on mac. I want it on PC. I feel the fact that I will use this stuff in the first place is me compromising enough, so I think they may indulge me on the PC issue

When you buy a system, I know it comes with both mac and PC software, but is the hardware the same?

I keep seeing all the video PT guys switching to PC so it must work somewhat right?

What I am asking I guess is can we buy it, stick it on a PC, then if it doesnt work, can I just stick the same stuff in a mac?

Any help will be appreciated

Norwood

Re: forced to use PT, need some help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »

pipelineaudio wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 18:31

What I am asking I guess is can we buy it, stick it on a PC, then if it doesnt work, can I just stick the same stuff in a mac?

Yes.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »

I suggest you use an Asus P4C800 Deluxe-E motherboard.. and check the TDM Windows conference on the DUC.  HD works very well under XP.. if you have the right system components.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

RMoore

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:57:47 AM »

I advise to additionally ask help from a 'higher power' as well as humanly aid!
Whe I was forced into DAW (w Mac&Logic) land it wasted SO MUCH time getting it all up an running, learning the software & boxes..oh migawd..
FWIW I find the DAW indispensible now on vocal comps..
Can't imagine life without..
Good luck!
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

zetterstroem

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:30:42 AM »

i understand that it's a bit of a mouthfull to change software AND platform

but to save yourself from trouble... run PT on mac..... i'll bet you'll end up with that anyway....

put it on the fastest G5 you can find with 2GB memory and a second HD.... ask me if in doubt

PT on pc is like playing russian roulette with five bullets!

and after all you should be able to use a mac... my mom can!!!! and she's 63.... took her a week to change!

as long as you don't have to learn logic....

the only danger is that you'll be hooked....  Very Happy
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

thedoc

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 10:22:33 AM »

The G5 will need  to be a dual processor unit  (digi approved).  It is incorrect that all video PT folks are swiching to PC's.   Smile
Doc

punkest

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 12:15:31 PM »

thedoc wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 17:22

The G5 will need  to be a dual processor unit  (digi approved).  It is incorrect that all video PT folks are swiching to PC's.   Smile

I'll have to agree on this.  Just the oppositte. It may have been true some 3 years ago, but know I see more and more people using macs.

greetings,

Hans Mues

Timeline

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 01:53:50 PM »

Go Mac and don't look back..., G5 that is.
Gary Brandt
Timeline

henchman

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 02:02:51 PM »

Timeline wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 10:53

Go Mac and don't look back..., G5 that is.

Yeah. And hope you get one that works properly.

wwittman

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 14:02

Yeah. And hope you get one that works properly.

Which 98% of us do.

Unless you're trying to prove some point or win some religious war... make your life easy and run PT on a Macintosh.

Someone is BUYING YOU an HD system... that's an awfully nice kind of "force"
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

pipelineaudio

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 05:37:04 PM »

Its a nasty force. Never before have I seen a group of people who know nothing about engineering insist on which gear an engineer should use. Mix/Digidesign/Conservatory is telling me what software I must use, what next, will they tell me which mics?

Anyhow I need this on a PC, after watching protools operators chase their tails around on edits for hours for edits that would litterally take me SECONDS on my editor, so I need both.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »

You know Aaron, there are a lot of professionals out here working successfully on Mac/Pro Tools set ups.  I'm not saying that it's the only way to go, but it does work VERY WELL.  To suggest that we're all a bunch of slow blinking, mouth breathing, morons demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on your part.  If there were that many things that you could do in seconds on your PC, that would take me hours on my Mac, then your platform would have taken over long ago.  This is not a profession that welcomes fools, or grants success without some serious competition along the way.  If you want help getting your system working, you should change your attitude.

Best,

Steve

pipelineaudio

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »

I didnt suggest anyone running mac/pt was an idiot.

But I WILL gladly take on any edit, with any set of parameters, giving the opposition a 1 minute head start vs the editing app I use. The interface is that good, it has its problems though and compatiability with PT when using plugins in a session is one of them, hence the desire on the owners part for PT

I agree, so PT it is, just please let me keep the apps I want to use on hand as well. I never tell anyone NOT to use certain things, yet that is what I am being told, and as far as whether or not my perferred app is any good, since so many people havent gone to it. What of it? How many ZILLIONS had adats instead of studers?

we had 96khz in 1997, 192khz in 1998. Multi tool in 1997. Plugin delay compensation automatically 1997. Auto crossfades (something PT still cant do?) 1997. REAL metering, with numbers and all calibration ready, in ALL modes, 1997. Drag and drop ANY type of file directly into the project, no silly waiting for conversions and dropping into pools and whatnot 1997. ANY plugin on aux buss 1997(not just TDM). Hopefully these things will all be fixed in PT soon then I dont have to worry about using my old stuff

just because its not popular, doesnt mean its not good. I will learn PTHD, thats fine with me

wwittman

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »

Instead of convincing us, why can't you convince your client?

I'd rather record and mix everyting analogue.. it sounds enourmously better.
But that's not always MY choice either.

I can be "forced" to record digitally, and almost always on ProTools, or I can work a lot less.

And I don't think my experience is atypical.

Let's say there's a single track that I want to remove from bar 9 through bar 16... in other words joining the end of bar 8 to the downbeat of bar 17...
why SHOULD you be able to do that any faster in your mystery program than in ProTools?
Unless it has artificial intelligence and voice recognition.
Which would be cool.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

pipelineaudio

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »

"Instead of convincing us, why can't you convince your client?
"

Im not trying to convince you guys of anything, Im trying to figure how best to stick PT on a PC.

" I can be "forced" to record digitally, and almost always on ProTools, or I can work a lot less."

I am seeing this with these guys and I believe it. It has NEVER not once been an issue for me yet, as people come to me for me, not for what tools Im using, but the guys here say engineers are a commodity and can be substituted one for the other so we must all use the same thing. I dont quite agree with this but whatever.

So anyway, back to so far here looks like the ASUS PC800 deluxe - e mobo and northwood p4 3.2 ghz? Are you guys having luck with dual monitors?

Whats the deal with converters? Why do you need to run thru an X-HD card for apogee? Why cant you just go adat or aes out of an apogee into the digital ins of PT ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 17 queries.