R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitoring (was 'Limiter test'...)  (Read 8380 times)

bobkatz

Monitoring (was 'Limiter test'...)
« on: December 07, 2004, 01:17:12 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 12:41

There is several issues here but I think that it's a combination of how we listen and the difference in quality stages of our playback systems.

Best Regards,

I love it. With my eyes closed I can always tell a Henrik post:  "There's a big difference. There's a big difference. There's a big difference".

Give me a break.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ammitsboel

Re: L2 vs. MD4 limiter test...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 02:57:39 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 18:17

I love it. With my eyes closed I can always tell a Henrik post:  "There's a big difference. There's a big difference. There's a big difference".

Give me a break.

...And where did this came from?
Misunderstanding I'm sure.

I guess that this is where our waters cross Bob, I'm an un compromised believer and you're not...?

BTW what monitoring system are you using at the moment? amp, speakers, control unit etc...
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

ammitsboel

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 03:12:41 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 19:57

First of all both X and Y sounds worse than the original, but who would do this in a session like this with a limiter anyway...
Both examples had much less dynamics than the original.

X: Brighter than the original... maybe one could say that it sounds like the color white  

Y: Has some of the same tonal balance as the original but much energy has been taken away especially in the voices.

Where i feel the song is going i like X much better than Y.
Y just eat so much joy out of the song so it almost sounds like a "sad but should be glad" song.
...was the release times the same?

Is this exagerrated?!?

I guess you can give me a brake Bob.

You should really get a better monitoring system or at least get a trip to Europe to listen to mine. You are very welcome to listen to my system if you are in Europe any time.

Best Regards,

Level

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 05:47:06 PM »

ammitsboel, some systems have the ability to show certain things better or worse than others.(well duh) Bob K's mastering system is one of fine calibration but I am certain that his midrange articulation would be quite different from mine. Articulation can vary to a wide degree. I suppose your systems articulation to be well suited to your listening habits. May I ask what loudspeakers you use? When I was in Denmark, I loved all the studios I worked in and most of the Danish artists I worked with had either Vifa (pronounced ville~bock?)or Dynaudio drivers in custom enclosures with custom crossovers. One artist had a really sweet signature sound that was a delight to master. He built his monitors using Dynaudio and Eton drivers.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

ammitsboel

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 06:25:20 PM »

Level wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 22:47

ammitsboel, some systems have the ability to show certain things better or worse than others.(well duh) Bob K's mastering system is one of fine calibration but I am certain that his midrange articulation would be quite different from mine. Articulation can vary to a wide degree. I suppose your systems articulation to be well suited to your listening habits. May I ask what loudspeakers you use? When I was in Denmark, I loved all the studios I worked in and most of the Danish artists I worked with had either Vifa (pronounced ville~bock?)or Dynaudio drivers in custom enclosures with custom crossovers. One artist had a really sweet signature sound that was a delight to master. He built his monitors using Dynaudio and Eton drivers.

What studios did you work at in Denmark? and what people? ...interesting  Smile

Dynaudio and vifa are in general of lower quality than even the standard model of the Audio Note AN-E's in witch I use a signature model.
The signatures together with my amplifiers(The Audio Note BARANSU's) is of several classes higher than anything I've ever listened to... but also a staggering investment!
The system is made by Audio Note UK(Peter Qvortrup and Andy Grove) and not Audio Note Japan.

I hear you with the systems "ability to show certain things better or worse", but you will find that the more you move "up on the scale" the more these things will disappear. It can indeed be shocking sometimes!

Best Regards,

mastermind

Re: Monitoring (was 'Limiter test'...)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 06:40:03 PM »

Big, super expensive, hi-res speakers are dumb.

I master everything on a pair of super-cubes, driven by a pair of crown DC-300's out of an old live rig. The amps spent the first 20 years of their life getting Canadian beer spilled on them and therefore have a very special sound.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

t
trevor sadler

Level

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »

Trevor!!!

Finally, finally, another person with the DC-300's!

Compared to some really big guns, Pass, KRaudio.com, Theta, Krell, McIntosh and 47labs, I love my DC's. SO smooth, so fast, so...transparent. Those who hate DC300's simply have a problem elsewere IMVHO. If I want to see what I have, the DC if I want to party, the MC2500. (BTW, I still own them all)

Mine are well maintained. It matters.

ammitsboel
I will PM you.

Great Picture of Peter here.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/reviews/pqbritishairways.jpg

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bobkatz

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 08:09:57 PM »

What I predicted continues to be true in these current assessments, that some people will prefer one over the other, which is fine. But what strikes me as even more interesting is that certain people are preferring either X over Y or Y over X for absolutely opposite reasons. Study the posts here (after you vote, please) and you'll find that one person is saying that a certain letter is "brighter" than a certain other while others are saying EXACTLY the opposite! Now what does that mean?  

a) try to make your tests blind. Prove that you're consistent!

b) your speaker system is exagerrating some frequency range or other which one letter limiter is doing better or worse at than another. Very interesting, eh?

If a is false (non-blind), how accurate will our subjective findings be?  Supposedly a bunch of good, experienced mastering engineers will tend to prefer much the same thing. That's what I heard somewhere.

If b is true (that people's reactions to which limiter they prefer are very speaker/room and reproduction-dependent: then that means the results are going to be random, perhaps, and NEITHER limiter wins.

So, it is quite strange how you can be so sure of your results as well as so sure of the magnitude of the differences.

My assistant likens the differences as being, say, about one order of magnitude greater than the "dither wars". It's not quite that subtle, but that's what it is over here, and my reproduction system and room is extremely refined. You can hear extremely fine differences in here. I just think that some people tend to exagerrate the importance of extremely fine differences. I can see DC shrieking "pot calling kettle black"... right about now.

Anyway, hey, people---start voting! The more votes, the more "democratic" the results  Smile. Vote for either "the lesser of two evils" or "the better sounding of the two". Either way is fine.

I think that Henrik was accusing me of liking compression, I couldn't quite get his English, excuse me....  "If only you knew me".  If I could reduce this CD to 1990 levels I'd be more than happy to do so. Henrik, you're preaching to the choir.

The object of this demonstration is to find out which limiter damages the material the least. I think you'll find 9 out of 10 mastering engineers will agree that most times the limiter, the way that we tend to push it lately, clearly damages the material.

At the "only" 2-3 dB of limiting in use in this particular demo, what I notice first is a degradation of the stereo image, the "they are here" picture. But "big, gigantic difference", no way.

Hey, no one's said anything about the musical and other technical aspects of this sample...  I'm quite shocked. Everyone here's so technical that you haven't noticed that this music presents some absolutely first-rate players in the Latin Music field? I'd also believe that the production, arrangements, recording and mixing are first rate, and modesty prevents me from saying more  Smile

BK

ammitsboel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 08:37:23 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 01:09

I think that Henrik was accusing me of liking compression, I couldn't quite get his English, excuse me....  "If only you knew me".  If I could reduce this CD to 1990 levels I'd be more than happy to do so. Henrik, you're preaching to the choir.

No, I could easily find more interesting things to do than that!

At the "only" 2-3 dB of limiting in use in this particular demo, what I notice first is a degradation of the stereo image, the "they are here" picture. But "big, gigantic difference", no way.

Who said anything about big gigantic? you did!

Hey, no one's said anything about the musical and other technical aspects of this sample...  I'm quite shocked. Everyone here's so technical that you haven't noticed that this music presents some absolutely first-rate players in the Latin Music field? I'd also believe that the production, arrangements, recording and mixing are first rate, and modesty prevents me from saying more  Smile
BK

A quote from my first posting:
Y: Has some of the same tonal balance as the original but much energy has been taken away especially in the voices.
Y just eat so much joy out of the song so it almost sounds like a "sad but should be glad" song.

I would define this as being about the music.

And yes the players a GREAT players... but the production doesn't move me, I can't really put my finger on it... sounds digital!?

I think that you are confusing us with yourself as it's often yourself that's very technical.

-Sorry, but had to tell what i believe is the truth.

bobkatz

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 10:14:25 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 20:37

Who said anything about big gigantic?

It could be the language barrier, but to me, anyone who uses language like this:

Quote:

To say that something "takes the joy out of the song" or "much energy has been taken away, especially in the voices" is similar language to describing the difference between the Mona Lisa and "Dogs Playing Poker". The differences between X, Y, and the source are far more subtle than that. If not, then there would not be ambiguous votes as well as one "I can't hear the difference"

What do others who have listened to these differences think?

Quote:

And yes the players a GREAT players... but the production doesn't move me, I can't really put my finger on it... sounds digital!?

Matter of taste. This particular song was bounced to Pro Tools from 2" analog tape, by the way. The production and the performance make me jump out of my seat and dance!

BK

turtletone

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 11:07:53 PM »

It's getting pretty heated around this discussion. Anyway, i'm listening to these on a pair of etymotic sr4 somthing or other cause i'm too lazy to put it on my system. These earbuds sound very good. I do hear a difference between the 2 limiters. I prefer the sound of X to Y, it's not uncolored but It's more of my taste. I can't guess which is which. Y sounds like the L2 but not with only 2-3 db of reduction, more like 5. Will someone please post which is which so I can get some sleep.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Level

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 11:17:43 PM »

Sleep? Since when did studio personell get any sleep before 5AM?

Smile

hehe.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 11:35:37 PM »

TurtleTone wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 22:07

It's getting pretty heated around this discussion.

Just semantics, IMO. Everyone here is pretty level-headed...

Quote:

I prefer the sound of X to Y, it's not uncolored but It's more of my taste.

Sums up how I feel nicely, thanks.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dcollins

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 02:44:46 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 17:09

My assistant likens the differences as being, say, about one order of magnitude greater than the "dither wars".

Dither Wars?  Was it even a skirmish?
Closer to thumb-wrestling.

Quote:

I just think that some people tend to exagerrate the importance of extremely fine differences. I can see DC shrieking "pot calling kettle black"... right about now.

Steady Bob.  I think you have certainly made many risible claims over the years.  I guess most just think "Well, if Bob said he can hear it, it must be true."  What the rest think, no one can say.

The limiter differences seem quite "pickable" if you Axe me.  

Quote:

Really?  It doesn't sound like one is up a dB at 10k to you, or the other has a chest?

Quote:

I'd also believe that the production, arrangements, recording and mixing are first rate, and modesty prevents me from saying more  Smile

Even the original sounds a little thin and "electronic" to me.  Is it an all digital production?  

Plus, I can't understand a word they are saying.

DC

ammitsboel

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 07:11:43 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 03:14

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 20:37

Matter of taste. This particular song was bounced to Pro Tools from 2" analog tape, by the way. The production and the performance make me jump out of my seat and dance!

BK

That's great that it does it for you! Smile
I will not say that i envy you, but you must certainly be happier about it right now than I am. If it works for you then you have reached your gold.

Sometimes things you thought was ok really eat a lot of the good stuff in a production... like bouncing to PT with lesser converters.
Or using an analog 2" with to much level or if it's "out of tune".

Best Regards,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 20 queries.