R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Record Thread  (Read 2400 times)

Your Ad Here!

Classic Record Thread
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:52:29 AM »

I think it would be great to discuss some classic albums with the hope that some can shed light on some details about how the records were made, the importance of the record, and the innovations.

I'll give it a shot with a record I dusted off yesterday...

It seems to me that for 1967 the Buffalo Springfield Again record was pretty damn innovative. Great songwriting, sounds and production. Was this album ahead of its time?

dilbert

Re: Classic Record Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:48:13 PM »

Jimmy Miller- Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed
Minimalist Masterpiece.

hasbeen

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:10:15 PM »

I was in the studio with Jimmy Miller in Boston around the early 80's. I was astounded by the degradation of a human form. I guess that's why the Stones let him go. He spent most of the sessions getting high and  reminiscing about the Stones and the "old days" which wasn't really that long ago considering the time frame. I was psyched to watch his magic which, sadly, never happened. I remember a prolonged discussion about the advantages of the rotary pot verses the slider...

Anyways, Dark Side of the Moon, of course. There was an interesting interview in a recent Tape-Op mag with Al Stewert talking about the making of it.
Who is John Galt

Consul

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 08:54:18 PM »

I think I've mentioned this before, but my very favorite drum sound is the album "Romantic Warrior" by Return to Forever. I would love to know how they got that sound.

Does anyone remember a Canadian rock band called Prism? "See Forever Eyes" was a good album, with some great straight-ahead rock songs.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

Your Ad Here!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 01:47:01 PM »

I just discovered the Beggers Banquet record on vinyl. Never had this one when I was a kid. It's terrific. Great acoustic guitars and Street Fighting Man of course.

I like when a record has a thematic vibe or some level of consistant mood that makes it unique like Beggers.

Fig

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 11:26:05 AM »

Your Ad Here! wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 10:52

I think it would be great to discuss some classic albums with the hope that some can shed light on some details about how the records were made, the importance of the record, and the innovations

Well, love 'em or hate 'em, to me, in the rock idiom, it is the debut album from Boston.

I listen to that record and I hear "orchestration", not just songs.  Listen to the "deep cuts", not just the "hits" -- Hitch a Ride, Something About You, etc.

Why important to me?  

1) Tom Scholz' guitar tones, I mean c'mon, he invented the Rockman!  He was a freaking EE from MIT, modifying all sorts of musical equipment from Marshall heads to 2" tape machines.

2) The drum sounds, to me, are the benchmark for all of my own rock recordings (getting closer!).

3) The interplay between all the instruments including an uncompromising use of vibrato between two guitars, to me is stunning.  Acoustic guitars, too.

4) The use of organs (Hammond, pipes and theater organs) complimented the contemporary rock music of the time.

5) And of course Brad Delp's vocal capabilities, prior to AutoTune, still leave me speechless.  The final lines in More Than a Feeling with that high note on the word "Awayyyyyy!" never really decaying and lasting all the way to the song's fade out.  I know its digital delay, or overlaying of multiple held notes, but it still gets me everytime I try to sing along and hold that note.

The first three Boston albums were recorded, mixed and produced in Tom's "home studio", and only once was his vision compromised by the label (when they yanked "Don't Look Back" out of his hands before it was complete -- it is no slouch, BTW).  He swore that would never happen again, and then proceeded to take like ten years to put out Third Stage.

To me, these albums are inspiring on many levels.  Musicianship, record production, recording engineering and the downright WILL to do it yourself despite many obstacles in your way.

Are they my favorite records of all time?  Probably not.  But for inspiration, they are the one's that remind why I got into this in the first place.

My $.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

lincolnhwyguitarman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 04:44:34 PM »

Man,

I haven't thought about that Boston album for some time. What great production. Those huge layered guitars. The fat keys and the vocals. Damn. Probably one of the best recorded albums ever.

One thing, though. Gotta listen to it on vinal. It sort of looses it's lustre on CD.

I saw Boston live around 80 or so. Sounded just like the record. What a bunch of talented guys.
Thanks,

Mark

Fig

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 05:45:25 PM »

lincolnhwyguitarman wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 15:44

Man,
I haven't thought about that Boston album for some time. What great production. Those huge layered guitars. The fat keys and the vocals. Damn. Probably one of the best recorded albums ever.

And still the best selling debut album in Rock history.  Hard to believe that was 1976.

Quote:

One thing, though. Gotta listen to it on vinal. It sort of looses it's lustre on CD.

You know, I was gonna go back and edit my post to say that exact thing.  Perhaps it will be "digitally remastered" to satisfaction, but could take decades knowing how meticulous Tom is about his music.  I am on my third copy of the LP.

Quote:

I saw Boston live around 80 or so. Sounded just like the record. What a bunch of talented guys.

I was gonna mention that, too.  I have seen them three times.  But the thread was about records not shows, so I held out.

The pipes from the Monster Organ rising up from under the stage in the middle of Foreplay/Longtime is still one of my favorite stunts.

I'm not big on arena rock, but those guys had THE guitar rock sound (and the drums!!) for me.

Have great weekends REPpers,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

el duderino

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 10:01:40 AM »

Bowie's Ziggy Stardust blows my mind. it feels so intimate at times but can get huge. Not to mention i just love the fact a song starts with the line..."I'm an alligator" Laughing The drums sound so dead but i love it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.