R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats better: expensive 48k or cheap 96k converter?  (Read 4776 times)

tibor

Whats better: expensive 48k or cheap 96k converter?
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:44:57 PM »

Hi,

I am always tracking the a/d market and I see a lot of inexpensive 96k converters out there.  Can someone please go into some details of delta sigma conversion and the analog interface in order to really explain why or if an expensive 48k or cheap 96k converter is better or worse?

Sincerely, Tibor Shocked

ammitsboel

Re: Whats better: expensive 48k or cheap 96k converter?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 07:27:14 PM »

I think that nobody in here, or for that sake in the world can do that!
You can always read about technical terms and messurements and you can pick the numbers and words that sounds best to your brain... but that doesn't say anything about what sounds best.
If you wan't to learn something about converters then borrow a bunch and listen to them... and study what they are doing to the sound.

Best Regards
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

mdbeh

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 07:45:23 PM »

I can't answer the questions in your text, but as far as the title of the thread...

In my experience, I'll take high-quality 48k (or 44.1) conversion over a cheaper converter at a higher sample rate any day.

When I've played with different sample rates with higher end converters, I've heard subtle differences or no real difference at all.  But when I've compared different levels of converters at the same sample rate (and bit depth)--for example Mytek A/D vs. Digi 001 A/D--the difference has been night and day.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

hiendaudio

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:07:45 PM »

Hi:

Depend.

When you close your eyes (blind test), almost all sound equal.
So, your question lose a practical ask.

But:

Today almost all chips are delta/sigma, and the difference between diferents grades are minimun.

Regardelees of this, exist expensive multibit chips that outperform almost all D/S chips. In general they are inferior in marketing marks (24/192 style), but they can measure (and maybe sound), better.

In other latitude; expensive gear with "old" chips can be better, for the simple reason that they are better engineered.

I can say that the digital technology can be cheap and good sounding, but you never can forget the most basic: Good analog circuits. (most of new cheap products maked as 24/192 have horrible analog design!!!!!!)

.....For me, good gear, regardeless how is marked.

Best regards

Juan Ignacio.

PookyNMR

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 12:09:31 AM »

Cheap converter = poor clock & poor filters = sonic degradation
Good converter = good clock & better filters = better sonics

That's the way I see it.

Nathan
Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.