R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann U67 (vintage) with rustling problem when rocking the microphone.  (Read 208 times)

BA Musik

• Real Full Name: Bjorn Andersson

I have in my workshop a vintage Neumann U67 microphone with a rustling problem when rocking the microphone front and back.
If i rock the microphone side to side the rustling is much fainter.
I have cleaned the contacts for the headbasket and the mating socket contact on the microphone body and then tighten the sockets.
Also cleaned the tube socket and the contact pins on the connector on the bottom of the microphone.
Then i swapped the EF86 tube and i thought the rustling problem dissapperd with the new tube.
Then i put back the clients Telefunken EF86 tube and the rustling is now gone...
I also cleaned the edges of the shell on the microphone to increase the contact when the bottom ring is screwed on.
The threads in the bottom ring was cleaned and the also the outer threads on the microphone was cleaned to increase good contact.
Please forgive my long text about this rustling problem.
I have one question, is the high resistance resistors under the plastic lid soldered in or are the just socketed.
The plastic lid seems to be glued att one point (yellow arrow on picture) on the lid so i haven´t been able to check if the resistors and capacitors are mounted in sockets or if the are solderd in.

Björn Andersson
www.bamusik.se   

klaus

The only components that are socketed in U67 mics are the tube and the head.
All other components, including the high-impedance resistors and capacitors under the hood, are soldered in.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

BA Musik

Thank you for your fast answer Klaus, much appreciated!  :)

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo

I would give the cable connectors another cleaning, both sides, and make sure that the female connectors haven’t become overly loose/widened over time.

BA Musik

I think i have found the culprit. A big crack in the solder joint on pin 8 of the tube socket. No more rustling in the microphone  ;D

BA Musik

I would give the cable connectors another cleaning, both sides, and make sure that the female connectors haven’t become overly loose/widened over time.

Hi George Toledo,

The microphone have a new cable with new connectors and a power supply from the late Oliver Archut, so no problem there  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.