R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Duplication?  (Read 2748 times)

woods

CD Duplication?
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »

Anybody around here doing any small run Duplication and Printing of your CD?

If so what are you using? And/or what do you think of the Primera Bravo II?

Thanks,

Woods

hargerst

Re: CD Duplication?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 10:25:06 PM »

I've been looking at it seriously, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost at this point.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Fifthcircle

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »

The Bravo II is a pretty hip system.  Expensive, yes, but it is really cool to set up your system and hit "go."  Come back in an hour and everything is done without you having to think about anything.  The printer-only version is a way to save money... Then you feed the discs into a stand-alone system.  Means a bit more labor, but it will cost less.

I'll also add that a cost to consider when using this is ink costs.  If you have even relatively full coverage on a disc, you'll go through a LOT of ink.  Cartriges ain't cheap either.

--Ben
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

laptoppop

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 07:31:20 PM »

I use a Primera composer pro, and it works GREAT.  I have the Inscripta printer which works well too.  Unlike the inkjet in the bravo, it uses a thermal transfer.  Cheap cost per disk (4 cents-7cents), and TOTALLY WATERPROOF.  

Bummer downside - the beast costs about $4000. overall.  But it does work great.  The printer is available by itself for about $2000.

Primera has come out with a cheaper thermal printer - but it can only print in certain parts of the disk.

-lee-

saxplayerz

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 01:51:40 AM »

I use the CASIO CD TITLE PRINTER for small runs. It's cheap and looks good enough for small stuff.

“So until we see you again, bright moments and keep searchin’ for your mystery note on the universal piano of life. ” - Rahsaan Roland Kirk

floodstage

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 11:34:51 AM »

I had a Primera Signature III inkjet printer (printer only - did not burn and stack).  It cost about 900 bucks.  The CD's it printed looked pretty good.  The CD's were not at all water resistant.  Thermal would be much nicer!  

However, if their support of thermal products is the same as their support of inkjet products, I'd stay away from them.  I had the Signature III printer and after a couple years of light usage it started having problems.  I called Primera for service.  They didn't support it anymore, and didn't have parts.  They advised me to buy something new.  Not what I call support.  I won't be buying from them again.

I bought an Epson printer for a little over 100 bucks.  It has a tray a CD fits in and it actually prints better looking CD's than the Primera did.  The colors still run if you put the CD under a faucet, but it's more colorfast than the Primera was.  For the price, I'm happy.

A duplicator/printer combo would definitely be nice but I can't see ever recouping the cost of one as the duplication industry is quite competitive.  There are places that will burn quantities as samall as 50 to 100 reasonably.  For smaller jobs, I'll keep feeding the computer and printer while I'n doing backups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.