R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Beauty of Neumann Mics  (Read 660 times)

klaus

The Beauty of Neumann Mics
« on: October 01, 2023, 08:11:29 PM »

Just saw this picture accompanying an article in the New York Times Weekend Edition.
And it brought close to me again that industrial designs can have a beauty that can stir emotions.

It's so ironic that not only did Neumann feel the U67's beauty should be brought forth through the decades to new models (U87, U89, etc.) but that few of today's brands - whether competitors or the dozens of unimaginative copyists - have come up with any new design ideas.
So they keep copying...

P.S.: and yes, it's that famous Belden cable!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
Re: The Beauty of Neumann Mics
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 10:40:29 PM »

Just blowin smoke right into the capsule...  Nice. ;)

klaus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »

That was not my focus, as you can read. Besides, he was not the only one in those days. Look at German TV footage from the 1960s and 1970s, and you will find a majority smoking in front of and into expensive mics.

But not only in Germany: Until his retirement in 2004, I regularly had to clean the capsule and grill of Bob Edwards U87- the smokiest host at NPR's Morning Edition.

That habit is now largely gone, due to a worldwide realization of the ill effects of cigarette smoking.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

David Satz

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »

Well, in Roessler's coffee-table book, the story is told (p. 78 ff.) that the wife of the then business manager of the company was a designer, who brought sketches of the microphone to Wilhelm Braun-Feldweg, professor of design at the then Hochschule der Künste (College of Fine Arts, which has since become a University) in Berlin. He is said to have proposed some "final details" about what the book's English translator calls "the width of the edges and the bridge of the basket" ("der noch kleine Details an der Breite der Ränder und am Steg des Korbs ändert"). It's implied that a conical housing tube and the general design of the head basket had already been decided upon--though Roessler is adept at letting the reader infer things without his ever saying them, and that can sometimes conceal a truth or two.

It makes sense to me, though I have no concrete evidence, that Stephen Temmer's association with the company had raised their awareness of marketing and visual design considerations. Again the book attributes his influence to the fact that the microphone was issued publicly as the "U 67" rather than "U 60" as originally intended, and as the initial batch had been labeled. This broke Neumann's postwar pattern of naming new microphone types after the year of their planned introduction, and was meant to strengthen psychological associations with the U 47, which the new microphone was intended to replace.

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »

It is possible to find many design elements of the U67 headbasket in previous work designed by others apart from Neumann.

One element I have not found elsewhere previously was the choice to make the side rails of the headbasket tow in slightly, which introduces a non parallel surface on that axis, let’s call it the x-axis. Non parallel surfaces were already common on z and y axes.

If one continues the design lines of the headbasket downwards, it suggests the now famous truncated cone of the U67 body. I would bet that the body design sprung out of the headbasket. Continuing the profile of the headbasket downwards would have been considered to be a tasteful design goal at this time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.