R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about VM1 KHE  (Read 4079 times)

Hprince

• Real Full Name: Howard Prince
Question about VM1 KHE
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, english is not my mother language, so I will try to explain me the best I can.

I've got a question about the Brauner VM1 KHE, it's just out of curiosity, I'm not able to buy one.
I've read that build a new KHE it's very dificult, would take a long time and would be expensive, very expensive.

Now imagine that I have time and money and I want a brand new KHE...how much time I must wait and how much money I must pay in that case?
A fully blown KHE tuned to my voice, etc etc.
PS: Painted like a Valvet X and with Valvet X shockmount too  ::) ::) ::)

I would be glad if Klaus answers this question, I respect a lot his work! I Hope one day I can afford one :)

klaus

Re: Question about VM1 KHE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »

I am glad you prefaced your question with the statement "I'm not able to buy one".
So the answer to your hypothetical question this:

The KHE was a once in a lifetime project between tree individuals, without whom this would not have worked: Dirk Brauner, manufacturer (and, at the time, great inspiration to me), Brad Lunde, marketing (one of the few "salesmen" who continues to have a sterling reputation in our business) and me, as designer, customizer and final quality controller.

When 100 pieces had been made and sold, we all decided that the enormous trans-Atlantic and trans-continental effort it took to make these mics and bring them to market could not easily be extended for another run, without exhausting all of us. I have on occasion revisited the issue with the other two gentlemen, but so far their answer has not changed.

Of course, if you came along and offered a substantial amount of money to restart the project, it can and would probably be done.

P.S.: I get frequent inquiries to "modify" a Brauner VM1, or similar, to KHE specs. Without getting into all the details: it cannot be done, as, aside of some housing parts (and, unfortunately the similarity of name!) all relevant components and circuitry are unique to the KHE: from capsule to power supply, they are vastly different, and impossible to source without a plan for a new run.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Hprince

• Real Full Name: Howard Prince
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »

Thanks for answer my question!
I've seen that used units of the KHE were sold at 17.000€, 2 times more money than they were sold as new until 2006...and from a production and a marketing perspective, build 1 unit would be way more expensive than build 100 (price per unit built)...so maybe the "Nr. 101" KHE can reach 25k easily?

It's a pleasure for me to got the possibility to talk directly with people that can do stuff like that, really, even if you build microwaves instead of microphones, people that enjoys doing his job and excels on it inspires me.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »

Thank you for your interest.
The KHE was indeed a labor of love which made no one but the dealers money, but enriched me in the satisfaction of the accomplishment (as current KHE prices confirm!).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

Klaus,
Is it that the MBHO capsule is tuned differently or is it a completely different one?

Also, if you got 100 people to sign up & give a 50% deposit could a project (Brauner KHE or any other thing you'd be interested in creating) start up?

Thanks,
Ariel

klaus

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »

The capsule was not tuned differently but made completely differently: both, backplate design and diaphragm manufacture and finishing were unique and are not found in any other Brauner mic.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.