R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M269 Clone: How Easy?  (Read 4138 times)

lausookiesookie

• Real Full Name: Kevin Dyer
M269 Clone: How Easy?
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »

I have a few NOS Neumann K67 capsules and a Telefunken AC 701K tube. I was wondering, if one were to attempt a clone of the Neumann  M 269 Microphone , would the body/ grill  have to be pretty much exact to get the same results as the original ?  What could be expected from a Body/ Grill  that is more cylindrical like a U 47. In other words, it the shape of the grill that critical for a M 269 clone ?   

klaus

Re: M 269 Clone
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »

One of the last things I would worry about in recreating the sound of an M269 if I had teh AC701 and  genuine Neumann K67/870 is the shape of the head grill.

Some elemental components I would attend to first:

* transformer (a very complicated beast in the U67/M269!)
* properly filtered and stabilized power supply (crucial on all AC701-driven mics)
* circuitry completely identical with that of an M269, including crucial biasing circuitry- no matter whether you choose fixed or
   cathode- type
* wiring quality (many-multi-strand copper type)
* highest quality electronic components
* gold-plated head and switch contacts

I am sure, more things would come to mind, if I thought about it longer.

P.S.: Your title is a bit misleading: clones of M269 do not exist, and probably never will
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gpiccolini

• Real Full Name: guillermo piccolini
Re: M269 Clone: How Easy?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »

BTW, I'm looking for some new K67 capsules. :)

Readily available from Neumann.

P.S.: Due to a glitch, the rest of gpiccolini's original post disappeared, and a few other poster's contributions evaporated as well. Please repost if you were one of the affected!

Thanks,
KH

gpiccolini

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »

Hello,
oh, my post wasn't big deal :)
I just wondered if buying a mic and restoring to new (if necessary) with the capsules and tubes the OP has wasn't a better investment and possibly better sounding option. The remainig tubes and capsules can be sold to recover part of the investment.

@ Klaus: I know neumann has K67s. I need a better deal. :)

klaus

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

I agree on the greater efficacy of finding a genuine M269, and then restoring it to top shape.

You want a cheaper K67? If you know of a "better deal" on such capsule than straight from Neumann, let me know. In the U.S. the capsule is in the $700.- range. How much is it in Spain? (I hope you did not feel tempted to go for some of the aftermarket "reskinned" types! They don't sound right to my ears. And I think I have tested them all by now.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gpiccolini

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:29:06 AM »

Neumann spanish distributor asked me 657 euro plus 21% VAT (deductable in my case)...
... a little over the top :D

Oh, I forgot... They need around 20 days for getting it.

BTW: sorry to the OP for taking it off topic :)

lausookiesookie

• Real Full Name: Kevin Dyer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:06 AM »

Are there clones of the  M 269 transformers being made  now ? Will a transformer for a U 67 work with the M 269 ?  Or did the M 269 have it's own dedicated transformer ?  If so, I can see that being an insurmountable problem.  It's like  making a meal out of left overs. I have some noodles and peanut butter. What  kind of Mic can I make with a K67 capsule and AC 701K tube ?   There must be some way of coming up with something good utilizing some of  today's available components. Cheers Klaus. You are a "master chef" so to speak. If anyone would have solution , it would be you. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.