R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to recreate that performance room communication system?  (Read 4395 times)

breathe

How to recreate that performance room communication system?
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

I want an ambient mic in my performance room that is highly compressed so I can always choose to hear artists talking (at a comfortable volume for them to me, which I in turn can speak back to them on a speaker in the performance room.  Can someone tell me how this was done in ye olde days?

Nicholas

Seb Riou

Re: How to recreate that performance room communication system?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »

I think in the "old days", there was always one or more REALLY good condenser mic nearby any player, so that hearing him talk shouldn't be a problem, without the need for any compression. Every studio had big studio monitors in the recording area, for talk or play-back.

That is, I guess, still relevant.

tom eaton

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

SMPTE from the rolling tape machine ducks the room talk mic, which is heavily compressed anyway and feeds a spare input to the board.  

If you wanted your control room talk mic to open up between takes you could either also use SMPTE to duck it, though you wouldn't be able to be rolling and talk to the artists... best thing might be a latching footswitch for your talk mic.  ProCo makes a little box called the "Sign Off" which is a latching mic-level footswitch in a box with xlr in and out.  Throw it under the console and just remember to kick it off before rolling!

t

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »

breathe wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 22:48

I want an ambient mic in my performance room that is highly compressed so I can always choose to hear artists talking (at a comfortable volume for them to me, which I in turn can speak back to them on a speaker in the performance room.  Can someone tell me how this was done in ye olde days?

Nicholas

the smpte trick to automatically open communication aside, it's just like what you said you needed.

some consoles had buttons for a studio mic or listen mic which was usually hung from the ceiling in the live room, connected to the console and went through some type of compression in the console. you in turn would have buttons for the talkback (which was a mic built into the board) where you could have it stay open or only be on when you pressed the button. and producers often had a remote for themselves.

if you didnt have that option, you set up a mic in the live room and it was the TB. add a compressor if you need one. set up another mic in the control room and its your talkback for speakers or headphones. yea you need to know how to route it but you should know that anyway. same shit different budget.

Tom L

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

I've been using the SMPTE > compressor bit and it works quite well.  The only drag (for me) is when you're not in play or record and you want to hear only the instrument mics.  If the performers are rehearsing a part or tweaking their sound, you hear it blaring through the talkback chain.  So you still need some type of manual mute/override capability.

...or am I missing something?

Thinking about it now, I wonder if I could use a monitor output to key the compressor instead.  That way, whether rolling or not, if the room sound goes above a set threshold, it mutes the TB.

zakco

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:26:18 PM »

http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html

The "talkback" utility might be useful...

I haven't tried it myself, but looks interesting.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »

Just have them wave their plaid flannel shirts is morse code>>!!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Tim Halligan

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »

Or you could simply remove the barrier of the glass by getting off your lazy ass and walking into the studio.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Fletcher

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Mon, 20 December 2010 23:39

Or you could simply remove the barrier of the glass by getting off your lazy ass and walking into the studio.

Very impractical between takes - and could also disturb the overall "flow" and "vibe" during a session.

When I have had the extra tracks I usually like to "print" the talkback mics as well as just have them open in the CR.  The "ducking with SMPTE" trick is an excellent one -- when I have used it I have found it is best to employ that trick on the return to the desk after it goes to the machine.

If I have multiple talkback mics going I can also identify who the hell is talking to me by which meter is highest during the communication -- very helpful little piece of information if you don't know the voices of all the players!!

FWIW - I have mostly used "left over dynamic mics" for the talkback thing rather than condensers [etc.] -- also, I've found that [especially with guitar players] if you set the "talkback" mic up last they will usually gravitate to a spot in the room where you get a rather balanced representation of everything that is going on in the room [especially in "no headphone" situations - so by setting the "talkback" mics up at those spots, and recording them, you [or at least I] can often get really good / balanced "room" tracks besides the "room" mics you've set up for the session.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.