R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Cu's Battman  (Read 3040 times)

Ed Littman

Holy Cu's Battman
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

I've had these silver printable TY's packed up for a while & just opened them. This is not the top of the stack & they won't burn at the fastest setting. The 52x aborts after about 3 min. This test is the next highest speed (42x).At 16x works but c1 errors are way higher than my white printable at the fastest speed. I'm using a plextor premium drive.

It kind of freaked me out as I was staring at the test & all was cool until about at 50 min

index.php/fa/15913/0/

Jerry Tubb

Re: Holy Cu's Battman
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:01:28 AM »

Yo, Ed
I've had a similar batch for about a year, except they're white ink jet printable TY, and they go bonkers at about 30 minutes.
So I just use 'em for short EP ref discs.
Seems the quality of TY in general has slipped a little in the last 2 years, but still the best available.
The silver lacquer top discs that Nick uses test a little better on Q-check tests.
But a far cry from the 0.1 C1/sec discs we saw about 5 years ago.
I still haven't tried the pricey "Green Tune" discs tho'...
I had a client's mix check disc a couple weeks ago that was solid red on PXT tests... over 8 million CU's.
When I put it in my PX-716 it took unusually long to read and delivered noisy sounding rips.
With the popularity of DDP delivery on the rise(?) for masters, perhaps the quality of master burns may become moot.
I actually had a rare DDP delivery request last week ; - )

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

lowland

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »

A recent experience I had was when my usual TY supplier sent me some Acu-Disc white printables to try with a glowing endorsement. Suffice it to say that the PlexTools plots made yours look excellent, there was no C1 'grass' at all, just solid fills in either green, blue or red (quite a lot of red, actually).

You won't be surprised to hear I didn't buy, with the caveat that the tests were done at my usual 8x and it's possible the A-Ds  perform better at higher speed. Sorry to hear of your TY woes, Ed, perhaps you inadvertently got some of the fake ones we hear of from time to time - I'm guessing it's too late to return them for a refund. Rock on, PlexTools!
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com

William Bowden

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »

My God, that looks like a horrifying accident on a golfing green - SPLAT.

I bought my usual TY stock about six months ago and they're fantastic, hopefully it's not the start of the decline of TY media...

The King

tom eaton

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »

"Usual" TY stock is now branded JVC as far as I can tell.  I have no idea whether a manufacturing change is part of the rebrand... but my new stock of TY's are JVC and say they are from the "Victor Advanced Media" company a "joint venture of Taiyo Yuden and Victor Co. of Japan."

Did someone ship me the wrong thing, or is this the new normal?

Oh, they also came bulk packed sans spindle.  I had to drop them on to an old spindle so they didn't go slipping everywhere when I opened them up.

t

James Perrett

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »

The JVC's are Taiyo Yudens as far as I understand it. They're part of a joint venture now. I have a spindle of JVC branded T-Y's which usually produce very low error rates - apart from the odd C2 at the end of some discs. This does seem a little strange as none of the T_Y's I've bought over the last few years have shown any C2's.

James.
James Perrett - JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

lowland

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »

James Perrett wrote on Mon, 29 November 2010 14:11

This does seem a little strange as none of the T_Y's I've bought over the last few years have shown any C2's.
I have seen this but only occasionally, no more than about a dozen since I started using TYs.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
Essex, UK
www.lowlandmasters.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.