R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: B-grade (i.e. cheaper) dynamic compressors.  (Read 21861 times)

breathe

B-grade (i.e. cheaper) dynamic compressors.
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »

I just ordered a SPL Transient Designer 4.  Originally I wanted to get the UAD-2 card so I could run their emulation of the SPL TD as well as the Little Labs IBP (and some of their other stuff) but it turned out my Mac Pro which I have a PT HD3 Accel system in did not have a spare PCI slot like I thought, so if I wanted to get a UAD I'd have to get a Magma Expansion chassis which costs more than the fucking Mac Pro, so that idea got put on hold.  I still really wanted the SPL unit's functionality so I just ordered the analog hardware version.  I know that the functionality of the SPL is independent of the gain of the signal sent into it, but I imagine if I was to compress (for example a recording of a tom drum) in the computer before it was then sent out of an Apogee into my patchbay, this would adversely affect the ability of the SPL to shape the envelope of the sound.  

So, with this post also being a general inquiry into building a studio that is weaned off of plug-ins and is more or less totally analog in the mixing stage, can anyone recommend a compressor unit of low cost that would be good for compressing the lower priority sounds in a mix?  Before I sold much of my outboard gear when I moved to Los Angeles to do forensic audio restoration, I enjoyed the DBX 160XT on drum sounds, which I suppose could be reproduced equally well with a DBX 903 module in their 9-space rack.  And although my Valley International rack of Gain Brain II's was giving me trouble way before I left Portland, I found those to be high quality and very versatile compressors (albeit not very useful on bass-centric sounds, though not nearly as bad as the FMR RNC in this regard).  Does anyone feel the units I have just stated are good starting places for compression when buying more API 527's (which I looooove!!!!) is not financially possible?

Best and Happy Thanksgiving!

Nicholas

jetbase

Re: B-grade (i.e. cheaper) dynamic compressors.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

Aphex made some really transparent compressors, so if you're after dynamic control without really wanting the compression sound I would recommend looking into what they have available today.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

CWHumphrey

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »

The RNC stereo compressor is a lot of bang for the buck.  Don't be fooled by the wall wart.

Cheers,

Carter William Humphrey

"Indeed...oh three named one!" -Terry Manning
"Or you can just have Carter do the recording, because he's Humphrey."-J.J. Blair

Podgorny

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »

breathe wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 13:40

I know that the functionality of the SPL is independent of the gain of the signal sent into it, but I imagine if I was to compress (for example a recording of a tom drum) in the computer before it was then sent out of an Apogee into my patchbay, this would adversely affect the ability of the SPL to shape the envelope of the sound.

Not sure what this has to do with the main question, but the transient designer does just fine post compression.

And as far as inexpensive compressors go, I'm a big fan of the LT Sound CLX-2. If you can find one, they usually for for about $250.  It's hard to complain about the DBX 160s, except to say that the market for them is inflated.  LA-4s can still be had relatively inexpensively.

JBL 7110
Valley Dyna-Mite
Aphex 661
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »

All of the FMR stuff is amazing - my personal favorite is the PBC-6A

The SPL "transient designer" is an amazing unit - once you get past the obvious drum applications you can do some really sick shit with bass, vocals, and even guitar!!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

breathe

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »

I owned (3) of the FMR RNC's 10 years ago.  I've sold them all.  I don't know if the design has been improved, but those things seriously castrated the bass of any sound fed into it.  All the power disappeared.  Though to its credit, with the default sound degradation of the unit taken into account, the unit did a remarkably good job of not fucking with the sound with increased compression.  I should probably investigate FMR more, but the PBC-6A gets into a price range of something with a legit power supply and that doesn't look/feel like a toy.  I recently bought a pair of LA4's.  The high frequency response was really bad so I've put them in the custody of my "eccentric" repair tech who says "Bob Alach has nothing on me" so who knows what my tech can pull off with those!  Ignoring the high frequency loss, I could tell the LA4's had a lot of potential.

Nicholas

jetbase

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 10:58

I owned (3) of the FMR RNC's 10 years ago.  I've sold them all.  I don't know if the design has been improved, but those things seriously castrated the bass of any sound fed into it.  All the power disappeared.  Though to its credit, with the default sound degradation of the unit taken into account, the unit did a remarkably good job of not fucking with the sound with increased compression.  I should probably investigate FMR more, but the PBC-6A gets into a price range of something with a legit power supply and that doesn't look/feel like a toy.  I recently bought a pair of LA4's.  The high frequency response was really bad so I've put them in the custody of my "eccentric" repair tech who says "Bob Alach has nothing on me" so who knows what my tech can pull off with those!  Ignoring the high frequency loss, I could tell the LA4's had a lot of potential.

Nicholas

I agree about the RNC's regarding bass.
I have an LA-4 with this upgrade & I love it: http://www.proharmonic.com/la4.htm
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »

Urei LA-22 is great.  You can find them cheap on eBay.  There's a mono unit, too.  

Brian Kehew loves the JBL 7110.  Sounds cool.  Not transparent, though.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

wwittman

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »

What's a "low priority sound" and why do you need to compress it?

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

breathe

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »

Well, Mr. Esteemed Wittman, if a sound is going to be put low in the mix, compression will be even more important to keep said sound audible, though the importance of audio quality will be less since the volume of said sound is turned down.  Basically this whole thread is about finding good compression for recordings of tom drums.

Nicholas

wwittman wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 18:05

What's a "low priority sound" and why do you need to compress it?

Podgorny

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 19:53

Urei LA-22 is great.  You can find them cheap on eBay.  There's a mono unit, too.

LA-12?
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Podgorny

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »

breathe wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 20:14

Basically this whole thread is about finding good compression for recordings of tom drums.

Oh, well why didn't you say so. if it's for toms, I'd have to recommend Funk Logic's Digilog Dynamicator.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »

breathe wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 10:14

...if a sound is going to be put low in the mix, compression will be even more important to keep said sound audible, though the importance of audio quality will be less since the volume of said sound is turned down.  

Wow.

I find nothing in here that I can agree with.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Seb Riou

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 03:14:06 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Thu, 25 November 2010 05:21

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 19:53

LA-12?

Yup, and LA-10 for the same one channel compressor without the side chain EQ. Still works great.

For bass I really like my 163XT with a THAT VCA chip.

FMR are sick, I love 'em.

Well all I have is B-grade so go ahead .. Wink

Oh wait, is CBS Audimax III B-Grade ? It is price wise ...

Tomas Danko

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 23:11

All of the FMR stuff is amazing - my personal favorite is the PBC-6A

The SPL "transient designer" is an amazing unit - once you get past the obvious drum applications you can do some really sick shit with bass, vocals, and even guitar!!!

Reverb sends!
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.