R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitoring position in controll room  (Read 3430 times)

princetown

monitoring position in controll room
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

Hi all,if a room is 26 feet long ,what is the distance from the front wall to your seated monitoring position ?i read somewhere that it is 33% of the room length?

princetown

jimmyjazz

Re: monitoring position in controll room
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:06 PM »

There is a rule of thumb that came out of some modal calculations which says 38% of the distance from the front or back wall provides the "smoothest" low frequency response.  I believe the assumptions were that the room is rectangular and that the listening position is centered between the lateral walls as well as the floor & ceiling.  Your mileage may vary.

franman

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:40:55 PM »

yeah.. what JJ says. It's not quite that simple, but in a free-standing or 'mastering' type application it's certainly a good starting point to start evaluation.

It is possible to calculate the optimal positioning based on Modal and SBIR patterns. RPG actually makes some cool software that does just that. Of course, you have to know what it all means??    Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

AndreasN

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »

Am relatively new at acoustics. So far, the RPG room optimizer seems to work surprisingly well! Even in rooms without totally reflective surfaces, predictions are usually close enough to provide a good starting point. Have only tested a few rooms though.

Am curious how the professional experiences have been with it. Are you using it to provide a starting point?

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

AndreasN wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 10:20

Am relatively new at acoustics. So far, the RPG room optimizer seems to work surprisingly well! Even in rooms without totally reflective surfaces, predictions are usually close enough to provide a good starting point. Have only tested a few rooms though.

Am curious how the professional experiences have been with it. Are you using it to provide a starting point?

I'm not using any of these, but I have tested a couple a while ago now.

When designing the room you pretty much know from the start where your speakers will have to be so you integrate that info into the design and move on. Free standing speakers always move a bit anyway, depending on brand, type... And the one listening to them.

I am sure these softwares are very useful though.
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

franman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »

Andreas.. I also have found the Room Optimizer program to be surprisingly accurate in reproducing what I actually measure in regular rectangular rooms, once you get the hang of it. It's a good 'tool' to use for us along with other modal modeling systems including proprietary ones. It's all just information and you can't have too much of that!!

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

AndreasN

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »

Glad to hear!

Am way down the food chain, with treatment of existing spaces being the only concern at the moment. Seems to work very well for the purpose. Well worth the $100!

Must admit that I do also get a kick out of watching the program go through half a lifetime of measurements in mere minutes. Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 19 queries.