R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Hybrid Enhanced CD on a PC - How?  (Read 2116 times)

jlapointe

Creating a Hybrid Enhanced CD on a PC - How?
« on: July 10, 2004, 06:44:10 PM »

Perhaps someone here has found the secret sofware combination that makes this possible ...

I am trying to create an ISO9660/HFS hybrid Enhanced CD.  It will be two sessions - session one is red book audio, session two is the enhanced data.  

Red Book is no problem, using Samplitude and leaving the disk open for "additional sessions".  Now, I can add data with Easy CD Creator no problem, but the client has created MAC interfaces as well for the Enhanced section, and these don't run when burned with EZCD in ISO9660 mode.  So, I used MacImage to make a Hybrid ISO9660/HFS image file - however, when I attempt to add this image to the master cd as session two (red book already there as session one), EZCD says it can't be done.  I guess this "image" expects to use an empty disk, not just a new session.  

My question - has anyone here made a successfull ISO9660/HFS hybrid Enhanced CD on a PC - one that has both PC and MAC interfaces that access the same multimedia elements (video, etc)????  If so, what software did you use to burn the data session?

I am loathe to admit that the only way this can be done is with a MAC.  Anyone?

Thanks a million,

- J. LaPointe    

TotalSonic

Re: Creating a Hybrid Enhanced CD on a PC - How?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 07:31:16 PM »

J -
I've never done exactly what you are asking myself - but I'm pretty positive you could do it with Ahead's Nero 6 - http://www.ahead.de

I think you might also need to have something like MacDrive5 from MediaFour installed so that the HFS image is addable on your PC. Don't quote me on this though!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

redfro

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »

I've done an enhanced CD on PC with EZCD creator, but all I put on there were things that both PC and Mac could open IE: HTML, wavs, jpegs, etc. EZCD has an enhanced CD creation wizard, if I remember correctly. Sorry if it's not much help, but I haven't done anything like this in a long time...
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

t "curly " r

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:16:18 AM »

Hey, We've looked around a bit and haven't found a PC solution that has a high degree a play-ability on Macs.  At present we create the 2nd session in Toast, burn to a CD-ROM and then append it to the red book session.  tr

jlapointe

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 04:37:40 PM »

For the information of those who may have to do this someday:

As much as I tried, I could not make the PC burn the data session in a way that allowed a MAC executable to run on the MAC.  It's no problem if the enhanced portion just consists of video, or mp3s, or some other cross-platform data.  Then good old EZCD works fine in ISO9660 mode.  However, when there's a MAC executable involved, it's a whole different ball game.  

In the end I used a MAC with a $10 app called Dragon Burn to make the enhanced session, and all was fine.  

I didn't get to try Nero on the PC - if it allows adding a disk image as the second session, then the Samplitude/MacImage/Nero combo would be the winner on the PC.  

bblackwood

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 11:15:44 PM »

A timely post - I'll be cutting an enhanced disc on Monday with dedicated Mac executables, so I'll obviously need to cut the enhanced portion on a Mac.

I should probably just buy one and be done with it.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bobkatz

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 10:47:52 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 23:15

A timely post - I'll be cutting an enhanced disc on Monday with dedicated Mac executables, so I'll obviously need to cut the enhanced portion on a Mac.

I should probably just buy one and be done with it.

Brad, you can buy an Ibook 1 GHz machine for $1299 and then pick up a copy of Toast. It's practically plug and play, but if you need help with networking it to your PC, just ask!

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Ronny

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 03:55:27 PM »

I did an enhanced cd awhile back for a band's demo cd, containing 3 fade out/fade in demo tunes, band picture, bio and press release. The audio was on track one, so that club entertainment managers without PC's or Mac's could play the audio on any cd player. The ones with PC and Mac's could play the audio and read the press and bio's. Using MS Office Word, I made copies that read on PC and and a Mac version of the bio and press release. The band pic was jpeg, which read well on both PC and Mac OS's. It's as simple as saving the bio to be read on PC in one format, and than saving again in the format "Word 5.1 for Macintosh".

The PC bio extensions were .doc. The press release which also had newspaper pics, I saved in .rtf format. After saving the bio's in Word 5.1 for Mac, those extensions were .mcw. No problems what-so-ever having the pics, bios and press releases read and on both machines and the audio playing on PC, Mac or non computer stand alone cd players. The band's manager included a guide, telling the Mac users to open the .mcw files and the PC users to open the .doc's and .rtf's.

You can do the same thing if the enhanced cd has the audio and video versions of a live tune. Just save the video for PC users as .mpg and for the Mac users as .mov. No need to worry about doing two complete cd versions, one for PC users and one for Mac users. Just multi-session the PC and Mac files on the same cd.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------