R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will This Workstation Work?  (Read 2977 times)

Charley Vonne

Will This Workstation Work?
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:28:44 AM »

Hello all,

I posted this before in another place, but was advised that I'd likely get better results if I posted it here, so here goes.

I have a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, it's an Acer Aspire 6930G, spec:

Intel Centrino 2 (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)

3GB DDR2

250GB HDD

The Shopping list for my gear is as follows:

S.E. 2200A

Strummer

Re: Will This Workstation Work?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »

Consider spending the money at a professional studio. I would suspect it's going to take you more than a month to learn how to get acceptable sounds.

You'll get a better demo, and if you're correct, a better shot at the future.

Charley Vonne

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »

Hi there,

Thankyou for your advice, however, I've been in and out of studios for about 5 years, getting absolutely nowhere. I think I'd get on better working alone, my style of recording is very repetitive and I'm happy to record the same part of a track a hundred times, which I've never managed to do because the engineer reckons the first one sounded ok... I know what I want in my demo, but it's always been out of reach because I've had to rely on others being patient with me.

Like I say, I'd do better doing all night recording sessions till I drop to the floor, then sifting through the takes to find one that fits, and the only one that can hack the tedium of standing there with me while I'm doing it is my imaginary friend Bob, lol!

Can anyone see any possible problems with what I'm trying to put together to form a workstation?

Many thanks.

Charley Vonne

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

Just a quick note:

The Firewire card I'll be using is an ST Lab Expresscard Combo USB2.0 + IEEE 1394a, 2 Firewire ports and 1 USB2.0 port are included in this.

The kind of help I'm hoping for is something like "Firewire express cards tend to suffer from a very high latency, coupled with the fact that Cubase doesn't seem to like them, I can invisage you having some problems here."

Somebody out there must know about this kind of stuff, I thought I'd come to the right place! It's no good asking retailers, in my experience, especially with technology and gadgetry, all they want is a swift sale, they'll only tell me what they think I want to hear.

Many thanks all!

panman

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »

Hi Charley, I advice you to reserve enough time to configurate your gear, which I assume to be compatible enough. Plus make sure you have a chance to get advice from outside, preferably a friend who knows about this shit. But still, let`s face it: you will be pretty much on your own. But that is your chance to learn. Two weeks may be nothing at all, but most likely you will need more time just to get the configuration right and then you still need to learn to use your gear. Don`t be discouraged about the problems, because the more of them you`ll get, the more you`ll have a chance to learn and understand how everything works(or doesn`t).
But one important thing is still missing from your list. You need fast enough an external hard-drive. It simply makes sure that your 3GB RAM can handle the data, because not everything is taking place in your laptop. This is wise too, because if you playback 16 tracks, you will likely get cutoffs without it.
Regards,
      Esa
E.T.

Charley Vonne

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »

Thankyou for your advice Panman, I'll take it onboard. It's funny you should say that, I've been hunting down a hard drive for a few days now, although they're quite dear, I certainly want one.

I have a mate who knows all about this stuff, well, 2 in fact, so I'll not be alone with the software side of it. I'm sure they'll know a bit about the hardware I'm going for too. I work much better on my own, and always learn faster that way too. I'm so excited at this new opportunity!

panman

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »

You are wellcome Charley, I think I know exactly how you feel.
                                                             Esa
E.T.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.