R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PSP plugins  (Read 16665 times)

mcsnare

Re: PSP plugins
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »

I still like the Master Q, but my new favorite eq plugin is the Sonalksis eq. My trial peroid is about over and I think I'm gonna have to throw down. The Master Q is a little softer and rounder, but the Sonalksis has a bottom end that is so tight and solid it's scarry. Better than my analog eq's. The Sonalksis compressor is mad, as well. I freaked when I first heard it. Lot's of options and colors. It is very close to the best analog stuff IMO. It's a shame they don't have a PT's compatible version, I'd love to try em on individual tracks.
Dave McNair

Level

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2004, 01:10:11 AM »

I apologize for not having the time to read this whole thread...but what say is this:

It is not the machine, it is the Man. No matter what you use, how you use it or the specs, or hype, if you are "set-out" to do great work, the final will be great work.

"I never use the same technique on works. It is a judgment to do the artist the best service, no matter how you get there"

So far, any and all upgrades in this workstation are analog. I can use what I have had for the last 24 months in digital and be quite pleased with the results. I do not feel that a paradigm shift is what is happening here.

In the old days, I would buy hit music and actually seek the audio improvements with the reference system, listening to the art. The last time I noticed a shift in quality, it was a turn for the worst. The last time I noticed improvements overall was when Bruce Swedien did some mixes that were totally avant guarde' and the translation to be "next level".

Guess the year?

I work within my talents, no new equipment will improve that as presented. Some purchases of older equipment keeps me in the game and woo's my clients 'ad infinum'.

If someone actually had some superior technology, they should be beating down my doors to show it to me. I have yet to hear the knocks.

With what I have, all I can say is:

No complains yet.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2004, 09:52:08 AM »

Manuel, I apologize, but I still haven't had the opportunity. McSnare called this week positively raving (as you see above) about some of the plugs, but right now it's all I can do to keep up, much less try something new. ASAP, I promise, but as long as it's this busy, it might be a while...

As for Level's post above, I'll say this - just as it's not totally about the gear, it's not totally about the engineer, either. There's a reason that manufacturers still make mastering gear. Though I agree that a good mastering engineer can cut a great record on mediocre equipment, the same engineer will virtually always cut an even better sounding record with superior equipment.

I've still not heard plugs sound as good as hardware, though if what McSnare says rings true, then they're getting awfully close...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

craig boychuk

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »

I just tried those Sonalksis plugs...oh man, I can't believe how awesome these things are. The PSP stuff is cool, but Sonalksis takes it to a whole other level.

Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

OTR-jkl

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 01:29:54 PM »

Dave -
That's interesting what you say about the Sonalksis plugs...

I'm just about up on the trial period for the Comp and I have to say that I like the way it sounds too (so I'm prolly gonna have to spring for it).

I haven't tried the Sonalksis EQ - I've been using the PSP MasterQ ever since it came out and I love it. Based on what you say though, I guess I'm gonna have to give it a shot too...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

golli

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2005, 04:13:36 PM »

Bump.

Brad, have you done the PSP and maybe the Sonalksis evaluation yet??

Albert

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 10:45:13 AM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Mon, 02 August 2004 18:29

I'm just about up on the trial period for the Comp and I have to say that I like the way it sounds too (so I'm prolly gonna have to spring for it).

I haven't tried the Sonalksis EQ - I've been using the PSP MasterQ ever since it came out and I love it. Based on what you say though, I guess I'm gonna have to give it a shot too...

I felt exactly the same way about the Sonalksis compressor and PSP MasterQ, and ended up buying both. I prefer the Sonalksis compressor over the Sonalksis eq, but I think it's just a matter of taste, as the eq is good too. The MasterQ is very musical sounding, something quite pleasant to hear, especially coming from a plugin.

An excellent eq plugin I haven't seen mentioned yet in this thread is Elemental Audio's Eqium. Very clean and smooth, and it doesn't make the big hit on the CPU that the MasterQ does.

Riccardo

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2005, 10:58:10 AM »

has anybody had the chance to try the elemental Limiter yet?

cerberus

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2005, 11:31:04 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sun, 04 July 2004 14:27

...The big advantage of linear phase is the ability to boost frequency ranges without audibly bringing that instrument forward in the depth image (which also can be a disadvantage). ...

Maybe bringing instruments forward is not really an appropriate job for EQ after all because using EQ this way is a compromise to cleverly exploit a basic design flaw of IIR EQ. It's an incidental effect you seem to refer to, which could be desirable, or not; but it isn't under control:  EQ doesn't have a " percieved depth" parameter...

I don't want to inflame members of the esteemed analog camp, but I think of engineering as the science and music as the art.  All the mystery around magic thermionics and geranium crystals is fun and cool, like choosing your favorite snowflake...but i'd rather control phenomena than stand in awe of them.

I am disappointed that I grew up thinking electronics was a means to model acoustics, but now it is has become a thing about itself that we cannot seem to shake off when we discuss acoustics and psychoacoustics.

cerberus

bblackwood

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2005, 08:10:57 AM »

golli wrote on Sun, 20 February 2005 15:13

Bump.Brad, have you done the PSP and maybe the Sonalksis evaluation yet??

Sorry, still no. I will try soon, I promise, but time is at a real premium right now...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

stevieeastend

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2005, 08:19:46 AM »

What are your experiences/thoughts on the PSP 42 in comparison to the original PCM42? I love this unit but unfortunately only got one, so I am thinking of checking out the plug-in....

cheers
steveeastend

malice

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2005, 08:23:21 AM »

steveeastend wrote on Sun, 27 February 2005 14:19

What are your experiences/thoughts on the PSP 42 in comparison to the original PCM42? I love this unit but unfortunately only got one, so I am thinking of checking out the plug-in....

cheers
steveeastend

This has nothing to do in a mastering dedicated forum but yes, it does a pretty amazing job. Very very close indeed ...

malice

stevieeastend

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2005, 08:41:29 AM »

Malice,

your right, but I didn?t want to open a new topic for this little question...

Thanks.

steveeastend

Bobro

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2006, 05:27:33 AM »

Thought I'd bump this up after having put a good deal of mileage on the PSP MasterQ. To my ears it has a very nice color indeed, very suited to the colors I'm after, is pleasantly smooth but pretty "stiff"- the stiffness turns rapidly into hardness then brittleness with boosts but I only ever do cuts unless its a part of funky sound design on individual sounds.

IMO- good EQ, excellent for the price. Can't afford the Algorithmix plugs now but I'm sure I would continue to use the PSP as well even with those (superb) EQs.

All the Waves plugins I have tried sound nice until A/B'd with the original, which inevitably sounds much better to my ears, strange. The L2 is the one exception- used to limit rather than squash, it actually has a nice sound sometimes. Different strokes for different folks of course.

-Bobro

carlsaff

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2006, 06:53:40 AM »

Those who liked the MasterQ - I would be very curious to see what you think of Voxengo's HarmoniEQ. I'm really liking it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.