R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PSP plugins  (Read 16629 times)

Ed Littman

Re: PSP plugins
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2004, 12:46:10 PM »

Quote:

but I'm going to be posting an alternative skin for the Hi-Res EQ soon designed by a Russian SAWStudio user, Yura from "Sym Geo", for download on my website shortly -

My issues are not with the look of the interface but the working of the interface.
The waited feel to the parameters is hard to get what i want quick.
You have to scroll through the different bandwidths/bypass, instead of having a list to choose from.not good for your monitors!
The sound is nice, if one didn't have the waves LP eq this would be well worth the $$
Ed

TotalSonic

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2004, 06:09:12 PM »

Ed Littman wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 17:46

Quote:

but I'm going to be posting an alternative skin for the Hi-Res EQ soon designed by a Russian SAWStudio user, Yura from "Sym Geo", for download on my website shortly -

My issues are not with the look of the interface but the working of the interface.
The waited feel to the parameters is hard to get what i want quick.
You have to scroll through the different bandwidths/bypass, instead of having a list to choose from.not good for your monitors!
The sound is nice, if one didn't have the waves LP eq this would be well worth the $$
Ed

Hey Ed -
Not sure if this is exaclty what you want  -but you can just double click on any of the freq or q #'s and type in what you want it to be.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Oldfart

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2004, 07:03:58 PM »

Brad?

in response to your comments about analog versus Plugs, have you given a listen to the Auido Cube's stuff yet?

If I remember right, your biggest complaint about it was the entry fee, but it as come down somewhat. I spent alot of time on the phone with their North American rep, and he was justifying the entry cost with two reasons A- its system safety, making their plugs being uncrackable!!! and B- The best sounding plugs period. Hence why they would be not the most expensive plugs in the wolrd.

With all the respect I have about the analog gear, When people like BG buy 9 systems, there must be something to it !!!!

Although I'm sure that the analog route is still better then most plugs, with the volume war, once we have too pass the signal thrue "heLL", unfortunately, I thinks most kids today couldn't tell the difference, or even care for that matter ( man what a sad state of affair).

Denis Paquette

bblackwood

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:33 PM »

Oldfart wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 18:03

Brad?

in response to your comments about analog versus Plugs, have you given a listen to the Auido Cube's stuff yet?

No, haven't heard them...

Quote:

If I remember right, your biggest complaint about it was the entry fee, but it as come down somewhat. I spent alot of time on the phone with their North American rep, and he was justifying the entry cost with two reasons A- its system safety, making their plugs being uncrackable!!! and B- The best sounding plugs period. Hence why they would be not the most expensive plugs in the wolrd.

No matter how you slice it, I cannot fathom paying $20whatever-thousand for Wavelab and RME hardware just to use plugs.

Quote:

With all the respect I have about the analog gear, When people like BG buy 9 systems, there must be something to it !!!!

Well, keep in mind they replaced Studer Dyaxis machines with the Audiocube systems - not exactly cutting edge digital there at BGM.

Quote:

Although I'm sure that the analog route is still better then most plugs, with the volume war, once we have too pass the signal thrue "heLL", unfortunately, I thinks most kids today couldn't tell the difference, or even care for that matter ( man what a sad state of affair).

I agree, though my goal is not to cater to the lowest common denominator, but to cut records that sound as good as possible. If only .01% of the people in the world appreciate that, so be it.

I'm sure there are plugs out there that sound good, but there is a reason that virtually every reputable mastering house in the world uses analog processing gear...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Oldfart

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 09:53:29 PM »

I'm not one to want to contradict you BB, but,

The price isn't 20K ,matter of fact it's closer to half of that.

They run a 64 bit floating version of WL (for 64 bit plugs), That 64 bit version is only available with the Cube, and it seems it will remain that way for a while.

AND they use Mykerinos DSP. Loads of it, with a large portion of it for security (making the plugs uncrackable).

Also I don't believe there is any RME sutff in those machine.

I'm may be totally of mark here, but just like the analog buffs are finally happy with 192K (for tracking), I think that 64 bit will amount to the same for ME.

Sigh.....

Last but not least, until you've actually tested it, I don't see how you can actually pass any judgement on it.

Oh , and one more thing, I think the Cube will make more sense dollar wise when the DVD things get a serious part of the pie. Once WL 5 versions gets upgraded to its 64 bit version that is If I'm not mistakin, it's the reasons wy BL at Gateway as got himself one of them !!!

But what do i know, I'm just an Oldfart !!!
Denis Paquette

bblackwood

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 10:45:28 PM »

I don't recall 'passing judgement' on AudioCube anywhere. I just don't see paying any premium to use what I consider a poor interface or to use someone's plugins.

And frankly, I don't buy anything because someone 'famous' uses it.

As for the use of dedicated DSP cards, I would point to the AudioCube product page that proudly states that all processing is native - 'No DSP Cards'.

Perhaps AudioCube is the greatest thing ever. If so, I imagine every mastering engineer on the planet will be using one soon enough...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

malice

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2004, 01:11:13 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 08 July 2004 04:45

And frankly, I don't buy anything because someone 'famous' uses it.

Damn,

I bought Cranesong stuf because you were using them Brad Confused

Laughing

I kid, I kid

malice

Oldfart

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »

UMmmmm.....

again, not to be disagreeable , but I was basing myself on the following words .....

(from their site)
Pyramix DSD / SACD on the AudioCube

Both AudioCube 5 base systems include the Merging Technologies Mykerinos DSP Board, and the AES-DSD Daughter Card.  The addition of Merging Pyramix software enables DSD mastering on the AudioCube system.  For multi-channel DSD mastering, it is also necessary to install 2 additional Mykerinos Boards, with Daughter Cards.

But what do I know, I`ve never mastered on anything else then my "little box in the prairie" !!!

And if I was make my equipement decision based on what the "pros" use, I`d never have even started.

(now I`ll crawl back in the hole I came from)

Oldfart
Denis Paquette

arimaka

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2004, 12:30:01 PM »

Brad...

Never let us know what you thought about PSP plugins???
-----------------------------------------------------
Manuel Jimenez
Recording/Mixing Engineer
manuel@arimaka.com
857-891-7321
Boston, MA

bblackwood

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2004, 12:39:10 PM »

I will when I have time. Slammed here right now...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Techne

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in the MasterQ in RTAS form it's available even though the web site doesn't yet have it for sale.  Just email them and ask.  So far i think it sounds good, although it's taxing my machine's dsp a little (quicksilver G4 800).  

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2004, 01:47:28 AM »

Hi Techne
Are you using PT 6?
They recommend a 933 as a minimum machine but at their forums guys have been using it nicely with 733, 667.
How much ram do ya have?
I will be installing it assoon as I go OS 10.3/PT 6 ( G4 800 QS 512MB RAM)
thanks
nice weekend
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

Techne

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2004, 07:11:16 PM »

Quote:

Hi Techne
Are you using PT 6?
They recommend a 933 as a minimum machine but at their forums guys have been using it nicely with 733, 667.
How much ram do ya have?
I will be installing it assoon as I go OS 10.3/PT 6 ( G4 800 QS 512MB RAM)
thanks
nice weekend

Hey Alecio:
Yes, i'm using LE 6.1.2
I'm not surprised to find that my machine is sweating a bit, it's certainly not the fastest out there.  I do have 1 gig of ram however. It's been doing fine on straight ahead mastering stuff because i don't have much else up plug-wise except dither and sometimes compression.  My only complaint is that whenever I change any of the parameters in the plug, there's an annoying popping which distracts my attention from the subtle changes in sound.  
It seems better at cuts than boosts as others have mentioned (especially w/HF) but i'd say that's true of most digital eq's i've tried.  I should however mention that i am NOT a M.E. so i'm sure some of the regulars around here will likely give much more valid advice, having better ears/experience/equipment to judge these things than I do.  
Thanks for the tip about the PSP forum, i haven't yet been there but will visit soon.  

Alécio Costa - Brazil

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2004, 06:14:17 PM »

ya wellcomed!
BTW.. Tekne, which mac do you use?
Alécio Costa Studio
High-end Mastering, Music Production
http://www.aleciocosta.com

Listen to my album at:
http://www.audiostreet.net/aleciocosta

MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/aleciocostamasterizacao

arimaka

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2004, 04:46:57 PM »

brad... you never tried them?
I would love to know your opinion... I have used these plugs as a mixing tool and found that for some things they have great flavor...

what about for mastering?
-----------------------------------------------------
Manuel Jimenez
Recording/Mixing Engineer
manuel@arimaka.com
857-891-7321
Boston, MA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.