R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powermac G5 rejects OWC brand external drives?  (Read 1583 times)

rjd2

Powermac G5 rejects OWC brand external drives?
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »

has anyone seen this? as of today, my main work comp is not recognizing OWC brand external drives. i have swapped around cables, and ports, and tried other brand drives. all my OWC brand drives will not recognize on the desktop, but old Lacie drives pop up fine. i tried booting PT via the OWC drive, just to see if it might be an icon issue-nope, comp cant locate PT hardware.

any ideas on this? its almost ASSURED to be a comp issue, considering the circumstances. thanks for the help.

EDIT: i tried the apparent "firewire firmware reset", of shutting down everything, disconnecting everyting from comp for 1/2 hr, and rebooting. no solution.
rj krohn

Barry Hufker

Re: Powermac G5 rejects OWC brand external drives?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »

I don't know OWC drives, but do you need (new?) drivers installed for these?

rjd2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »

thanks barry. i shouldnt-ive been using these drives exclusively for a few years now, and never installed a driver before.
rj krohn

mjgreeneaudio

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:56:38 PM »

rjd2 wrote on Sat, 14 March 2009 11:28

has anyone seen this? as of today, my main work comp is not recognizing OWC brand external drives. i have swapped around cables, and ports, and tried other brand drives. all my OWC brand drives will not recognize on the desktop, but old Lacie drives pop up fine. i tried booting PT via the OWC drive, just to see if it might be an icon issue-nope, comp cant locate PT hardware.

any ideas on this? its almost ASSURED to be a comp issue, considering the circumstances. thanks for the help.

EDIT: i tried the apparent "firewire firmware reset", of shutting down everything, disconnecting everyting from comp for 1/2 hr, and rebooting. no solution.

What operating system are you running?  I have had almost the exact same problem and never got it fixed.  I say almost because some of the drives would boot every once in awhile but very very rarely.  Once I upgraded to Leopard I haven't had the same issues.  Or at least not as often.  

I wonder if it was a Tiger issue because these same drives I would put on my laptop running Tiger and they wouldn't boot up either.  I have since upgraded both the Leopard so I don't know if that is the issue and I haven't tried booting any of those drives on my laptop.  Also I know that some of the drives were formated with a computer running Tiger and some were formatted with a computer running Leopard but it didn't seem to matter which machine formated them.  They were all very flaky.

Michael Greene

rjd2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »

mj-its 10.4.11.

i can now boot PT if i connect directly to a comp firewire port, just not via ext hard drive.

another weird thing is that on both of the OWC drives i tried, it will only recognize now using the LOWER port of the drive, but not the upper. i think for the moment, i've got a workaround, im just not looking forward to HAVING to upgrade OS......
rj krohn

PookyNMR

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »

Call OWC.  They have excellent service.  I'd be surprised if they aren't able to provide a solution.
Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.