R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSL ---> Plasma Screen  (Read 2553 times)

Albro Swift

SSL ---> Plasma Screen
« on: June 26, 2004, 12:31:44 AM »

Hi,

The studio just got a brand new 42" LG plasma screen to replace the 20 year old burned out sony video monitors.  We're trying to get the ssl video (for recalls, etc) to display on the plasma, but so far no luck.

Has anyone already gone through this?  Any helpful hints?

The LG monitor has a 15 pin D-Sub RGB input for connecting to computers.  The SSL outputs a R, G, B, and composite sync signal.  I tried wiring up a quick adapter, but no luck.  

Maybe the plasma doesn't like the composite sync?  I'm not a video guy at all, so this is uncharted territory.

Thanks,
Josh

bblackwood

Re: SSL ---> Plasma Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »

I don't know if they are all this way, but the SSL at Ardent was PAL only - we had to get an adaptor to use a standard NTSC monitor...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Albro Swift

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 05:37:11 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the SSL is outputing a PAL signal.  But I have been told that most plasma screens are "smart" enough to auto-sense this...

John Klett

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 05:33:57 PM »

You better check to see if your particular plasma monitor can do PAL

also I know that with the MT console and a couple other SSL things I had to deal with (Senaria etc.) was outputing Composite Sync and we had to come up with some sort of fix...  some monitors could deal with it and others could not.  

The fix escapes me now but may have involved an Elantec chip in a box that did a sync conversion... but don;t quote me - I ma even be thinking in the opposite direction.

You really need to find out what the video output interface is in terms of level (TTL etc.) and sync type...  I think the way this goes you'll need to get some sort of conversion box.

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

ssltech

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:44:38 PM »

...If I were you, I'd seriously re-think the whole idea of outputting the SSL computer to a plasma screen... they seem to burn-in faster than regular CRT screens do.

For a flat-panel that will serve recall and automation well enough, definately use an LCD instead. The colour resolution is lower, but the E and G-series only output a few colours anyway.

The computer will utterly ruin a plasma in no time at all, and since LCDs are cheaper, you'll be much better off.

Smile

By the way, you don't say which SSL... they are rather different. The E and G-series output RGB with sync on green, the J-series outputs RGBS, with TTL sync.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Albro Swift

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 08:26:54 PM »

oops, sorry -- it's an SSL 4000g.  Though I think (and I could be very wrong) that it is outputting RGBS (there are four bnc outputs on the computer rack), and the manual mentions TTL sync.  But I am definitely out of my depth here...

Thanks for all the input!  I guess the LCD is the way to go.  It would really hurt to burn in the plasma!  At the moment we've got the SSL hooked up to a giant old dinasaur monitor with BNC inputs that we've stuck in the corner - works for now.

Have any of you built anything using this IC:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/vga2rgb/syncseparator.gif

then we could use the VGA input on an LCD?

Thanks for all your help!

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.