R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Word Clock" to "Superclock" converter?  (Read 6361 times)

breathe

"Word Clock" to "Superclock" converter?
« on: December 24, 2008, 03:16:52 AM »

I'm looking at the API A2D preamp/converter as a possible back end to the Folcrum summing box, and I noticed that the A2D only accepts "Superclock" source clock.  If memory serves correct, "Superclock" is a Digidesign thing not shared by any other manufacturer.  Does anyone know if the A2D will accept standard word clock, or, if there is a cost effective way of converting word clock to "Superclock"?  The converters in the A2D wouldn't be much use to me if I couldn't clock them to my master clock.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Fletcher

Re: "Word Clock" to "Superclock" converter?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 06:47:54 AM »

What "master clock" are you running?

You don't "need" to have a master clock for really well designed converters.  With things like Digi, MOTU, RME, etc. converters an external clock can come in handy... when you get into things like the A2D, Apogee stuff, etc. then changing or adding a clock is a matter of taste more than anything else.

Changing the clock will indeed affect the sound of the unit... the question is always whether the clock will affect the sound in a good way or a not so good way... which again comes back to "matter of taste".

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

mixwell

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »

API has recently upgraded the units to feature regular word clock I/O [self terminated]. You can send your unit to API and they can install the clock board for a nominal fee. They only do this modification direct, and in house. Its worth the dough to get everything working correctly.

It's going to depend on what receiving digital interface you are using. In many cases, you can easily make the A2D the master clock of a 002 without BNC [which will be more than fine to do with any system], by selecting the chosen digital port as the clock source in the software. "Superclock", should be called "stupidclock", because there are very few devices that use it.

The Apogee Big Ben, has the ability to sync using regular WC, as well "StupidClock" can be assigned to WC outputs 5/6. Might come in handy with a long chain of digital gear and a inferior system [without regular BNC sync I/O]. You can also use the BB as a digital distribution device, where it takes signal from the A2D from the AES feed, and re-distributes it to all your gear, while it serves as the master clock source of your PT LE system, via SPDIF connection.

breathe

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »

My rig is currently based around an Apogee Rosetta 800, which I am planning on getting another one of, and then maybe getting a Big Ben or Lavry Blue A/D (which I would sync my studio to, I've heard the Lavry clock is extremely musical).  BUT, if I got the A2D, maybe that would satisfy my need for a cleaner sounding master converter, and that could replace my desire for the Lavry Blue, but in any case, I will probably want a better master clock than the Rosetta 800's.  If the clock in the API A2D is good, then that is a shame that the unit does not have a word clock output to be the master clock for my whole studio.  That being the case, I will have to clock the A2D off the Apogee.  So, does the 'Superclock' input of the A2D only accept Digidesign clock or can it (either natively or with an add-on box) accept standard word clock from an Apogee?

Many thanks!!!
Nicholas

Fletcher wrote on Wed, 24 December 2008 03:47

What "master clock" are you running?

You don't "need" to have a master clock for really well designed converters.  With things like Digi, MOTU, RME, etc. converters an external clock can come in handy... when you get into things like the A2D, Apogee stuff, etc. then changing or adding a clock is a matter of taste more than anything else.

Changing the clock will indeed affect the sound of the unit... the question is always whether the clock will affect the sound in a good way or a not so good way... which again comes back to "matter of taste".

Peace.

mixwell

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »

Hey Nicholas,

A2D's now ship with the standard WC I/O board, so it won't be a struggle to achieve your goal. You can easily make either the slave or master.

There are many ways to setup the clock path here. You can daisy chain your converters and terminate the chain, so you can decide the clock source, or you can use a master clock like the Big Ben, with its internal clock, or use the BB to re-distribute, any one of your converters clocks to the entire system. [with a "stupidclock" system; the BB comes in handy, because it can simultaneously generate "stupidclock" along side, standard sample clock on BNC outputs 5/6]

Hope this helps

breathe

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »

Awesome!!!  I'm so there!  Glad API finally joined the real world.

Nicholas

mixwell wrote on Wed, 24 December 2008 13:37

Hey Nicholas,

A2D's now ship with the standard WC I/O board, so it won't be a struggle to achieve your goal. You can easily make either the slave or master.

There are many ways to setup the clock path here. You can daisy chain your converters and terminate the chain, so you can decide the clock source, or you can use a master clock like the Big Ben, with its internal clock, or use the BB to re-distribute, any one of your converters clocks to the entire system. [with a "stupidclock" system; the BB comes in handy, because it can simultaneously generate "stupidclock" along side, standard sample clock on BNC outputs 5/6]

Hope this helps

Fifthcircle

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »

If you ever have to convert word clock formats or supply multiple sample rates/formats, check out the Brainstorm DCD-8.  It is a word clock "destripalyzer" in the same way that they strip time code on their other boxes.  It can pull word clock from anything (including firewire) and outputs anything.  I've used it a number of times for providing resolved asynchronous sample rates (96K and 44.1K in my case)....

Don't know the tech specs and I haven't done a major shootout, but the results that I get with it are in the same league that I've gotten with clocks like the Big Ben.

-Ben
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Future_One

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »

Would I be able to sync my motu ultralite to the A2D without the word clock connections? Or is this done via the SPDIF?

Just trying to figure out if I can use an A2D that doesn't have the word clock connections as my A/D and the ultralite as the D/A.
I can't hear you.  Can you run your speech through a limiter for me?

mixwell

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »

Future_One wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 15:37

Would I be able to sync my motu ultralite to the A2D without the word clock connections? Or is this done via the SPDIF?

Just trying to figure out if I can use an A2D that doesn't have the word clock connections as my A/D and the ultralite as the D/A.

Without the WC board, the A2D can ONLY be the master via AES or SPDIF link. IF these are your only AD/DAs', then you can simply clock the Motu from the SPDIF or AES inputs, and the unit becomes the master of your motu, when set to clock from these inputs in the Motu's setup window. You would keep the unit on Internal, and all should be right with the force.

I would recommend calling API Service Department, and getting the word clock board installed into your older unit. It will be well worth the price tag, in getting your gear working correctly with each other. If working with multiple devices, you can use a master clock with AES Inputs, to distribute [one with the ability] the A2D's clock to all of your devices via BNC. The AES/SPDIF ports feed signal/clock simultaneously, so one can feed a clock distributor and clock the rest of your gear, but again, if these are your only converters, there is not much of an issue frankly. This is what I would do in your shoes, regardless of any desire to make something else the master.

Future_One

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »

mixwell wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 18:01

Future_One wrote on Sun, 07 June 2009 15:37

Without the WC board, the A2D can ONLY be the master via AES or SPDIF link. IF these are your only AD/DAs', then you can simply clock the Motu from the SPDIF or AES inputs, and the unit becomes the master of your motu, when set to clock from these inputs in the Motu's setup window. You would keep the unit on Internal, and all should be right with the force.

I would recommend calling API Service Department, and getting the word clock board installed into your older unit. It will be well worth the price tag, in getting your gear working correctly with each other. If working with multiple devices, you can use a master clock with AES Inputs, to distribute [one with the ability] the A2D's clock to all of your devices via BNC. The AES/SPDIF ports feed signal/clock simultaneously, so one can feed a clock distributor and clock the rest of your gear, but again, if these are your only converters, there is not much of an issue frankly. This is what I would do in your shoes, regardless of any desire to make something else the master.

Thanks very much for that!
I can't hear you.  Can you run your speech through a limiter for me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.