R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/4" Reel to reel Probs..  (Read 3177 times)

typek

1/4" Reel to reel Probs..
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »

Hey guys,

I recently inherited a Tascam 388 Studio 8. It has a 1/4" open reel to reel built into it. I am an audio student, but as I am sure most of you know they have not taught us all that much about tape machines at school.
When I load my reel on, thread it to the take-up reel, the "play" function doesn't work. Rewind and FF works fine.. and it wasn't until just today that Play won't work. Can you guys give me some troubleshooting suggestions? If it helps, when I hit "Play" if I look very closely I can see the tape reel trying to move. It shakes like it's trying to get goin', but it cant.. but you have to look very closely to see this. I know this question might be a little general, but maybe some of you guys can help me to help you... help me.. or something like that.. I have spent a good amount of dough on gear surrounding this desk, only to have this problem! Thanks in advance!

ssltech

Re: 1/4" Reel to reel Probs..
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »

Are you by chance using old Ampex or Quantegy tape?

-Did anyone mention cleaning the tape path to you?

Secondarily, -is the capstan turning?

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Bill_Urick

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:26 PM »

Common problem with that one is bad solder on the heatsink mounted voltage regulators. It will shut down the transport in the way you describe.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

typek

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »

Keith - no, the capstan isn't moving at all...
and when you say cleaning the tape path you mean using a qtip and cleaning the heads with head cleaner? or is there something more to it? and I am using RMG International tape.. thanks again for your help guys..

CHANCE

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »

You might want to check where the tape goes just after the heads. There should be a tension arm that shuts off the transport when the tape runs out. If you move this arm, you should see the capstan start and stop as you move this arm. If the capstan motor does not react, the micro switch might be bad.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag

ssltech

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »

Bill_Urick wrote on Mon, 01 December 2008 18:57

Common problem with that one is bad solder on the heatsink mounted voltage regulators. It will shut down the transport in the way you describe.

Go with Bill's diagnosis. -That sounds like something you should definitely check first.

-Where is your location at the moment?

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

typek

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

If this makes any difference, it was working properly (at least I think so) a couple days ago. I did some tracking and everything was fine.. Could the bad solder on the heatsink mounted voltage regulators progressively gotten the more I used it?

Chance - Nope, the capstan doesn't start when I move the tension arm. I Hit play, the pinch roller moves its position, and thats all.. I can kind of force the capstan to move the tape, but I don't want make it worse by forcing things.  

Keith - I am in Boston.. Anyone have any contacts out here that might be able to come take a look at this? What kind of $ does work like this usually cost? I imagine not cheap. Not sure I would be comfortable enough with opening her up by myself. Again, thanks for your help guys.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »

It seems quite likely that it could be the capstan belt.

If it wouldn't freak you out too much to 'pop the hood' and look to see if the motor is turning when the tension arm is up, you might see a broken or slipped belt.

If it's slipped it might as well be broken because it has lost it's tension. It should be relatively easy to replace and it wouldn't require any powered troubleshooting.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

CHANCE

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, The capstan is on the motor itself. The only belt is going to the counter
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

MagnetoSound

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 17:03

If I'm not mistaken, The capstan is on the motor itself. The only belt is going to the counter

You may well be right, but then somebody should tell this guy:

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/3 88-belt-capstan-tascam.htm

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

amorris

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »

when you lift the tension arm do you hear the slight sound of the motor starting? a whirring sound that stops when you drop the arm.

CHANCE

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 10:19

CHANCE wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 17:03

You may well be right, but then somebody should tell this guy:

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/3 88-belt-capstan-tascam.htm

Got me. I was thinking model 38
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop

Bill_Urick

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »

typek wrote on Tue, 02 December 2008 10:54

If this makes any difference, it was working properly (at least I think so) a couple days ago. I did some tracking and everything was fine.. Could the bad solder on the heatsink mounted voltage regulators progressively gotten the more I used it?

Chance - Nope, the capstan doesn't start when I move the tension arm. I Hit play, the pinch roller moves its position, and thats all.. I can kind of force the capstan to move the tape, but I don't want make it worse by forcing things.  

Keith - I am in Boston.. Anyone have any contacts out here that might be able to come take a look at this? What kind of $ does work like this usually cost? I imagine not cheap. Not sure I would be comfortable enough with opening her up by myself. Again, thanks for your help guys.

Tascam Service Center Search:

http://www.tascam.com/service.php?que=go
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

freestandingmusic

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »

Hey Typek and troubleshooters-
  Did you ever figure out your transport problem?

My scenario might be a little bit different since I've got a Tascam TSR-8, but this thread seems like the closest to what I've found through my forums search so far.

My capstan turns, my reel motors work, but all of my solenoids (brake, capstan, lifter) suddenly quit working.  As a result, I've only got ffwd.  The lifters don't lift, play and rewind act like they want to go but merely rock a tiny bit.  

I took the front plate off and checked the mechanics and everything seems to be in order.  Upon further study I'm guessing that it isn't the solenoids themselves, since the likelihood of 3 going bad at the same time is nil.  
  There's a joint PCB that takes power from the power supply B PCB and feeds it to the solenoids.  So, I'll attempt a fuse check, but that only localizes the true problem.

I'll see if I can get far enough inside the machine to check the solder at the heatsink-mounted voltage regulators.  Provided mine has those.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark Wolberg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.