R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ampex 300-30 help?  (Read 5516 times)

analog Tom

Ampex 300-30 help?
« on: June 16, 2004, 07:52:58 PM »

Anyone here old enough to remember analog tape?  How about tape machines with tubes?  Remember Les Paul experimenting with more than one channel on a tape recorder?  

We have recently received an Ampex 300-30 to add to our closer to complete collection of Ampex studio machines (and some home hifi machines).  We would like to restore this to new condition, but have been unable to locate a full set of documentation for it yet.  Any leads would be welcome.  

For those too young to know, the 300 is basically an early 1950s tape machine.  I believe ours is from 1953.  It is too wide for an equipment rack, so the transport is oriented vertically (one reel above the other with the tape moving vertically accross the heads).  The four individual track electronics fill the rest of teh 72inch rack (with a separate "selsync" switch box).  

Four tracks in 72 vertical inches of rack space.  And considered an engineering marvel in its day.  The definitive mastering recorder until the MR-70 came out.  

Cordially,  
Tom  

j.hall

Re: Ampex 300-30 help?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:31:50 AM »

too bad it's not a 440

i've got three 440 machines i'm parting out....all in great shape

post some pics of that 300

analog Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 01:51:38 PM »

I've got half a dozen 440s.  Great machines.  What are you parting out?

I'm not sure how to post an image.  I have two good ones, from the front of the rack, showing the whole stack: Transport, 4 type 350 electronics, and one selsync switch box.  From the back of the rack, showing the reverse of the same, with all tubes and the FIVE separate power supplies (350 electronics had separate supplies.  On-board supplies came in with the 351 electronics).  

The images I have are about 660kB each.  Give me instructions on posting them and I will.  The images are on a flash card down at the beach.  So it will be this evening before I can get back to them.  

Cordially,  
Tom  

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 05:11:17 PM »

host the images and post a link

or click on the "upload file" button below the post window you type in

i'm parting out two 440b 1/4" mono decks
and one 440b 1/2" 4 track

i'm keeping all the electronics to use as discrete class A line amps to beef things up as i want

the rest of the parts are for sale....

and i mean everything

analog Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 01:40:33 AM »

So, I'm trying this here.  If I can put two images in one post, I will.  Otherwise, the first image should be the front of the Ampex 300-30 rack.  The next post will have the rear of the rack.  (I'm just saying this for the younger readers who have never seen a "real" tape recorder, and can't tell front from back.)  

index.php/fa/116/0/

analog Tom

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 01:44:55 AM »

OK!  That one seemed to work.  So here's the second one.  

index.php/fa/117/0/

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 04:25:46 PM »

thanks for the pics

you going to get it up and running?

or just leave it as is and call it a collector piece

analog Tom

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 08:57:25 PM »

Oh, I'll get my fingers into it.  I don't think it will ever replace my ATR-104s, but if possible, we'll get it back to what it was when stereo was still a gleam in some engineers' eyes.  

Tom

Granite Alps

Re: Ampex MM1000
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »

We're a working studio over in New Jersey and had the opportunity to clean out a closed down analog studio.  We now are selling an Ampex MM1000 ;with the extra fans!; and a MM1200, Scully 280 series machines and Studer A-62.  The MM1000 is interesting, it's been modified for 24 trk playback thought the use of an MCI 8 ch frame carrying Ampex playback cards.  The heads have been cleaned and certified by John French, all carry head reports.  The MM1200 is still working and is being serviced by our Tech. The MM1000 and the A 62 however, we believe are only worth parting out but the 1200 works.  The Scully 280 series could easily be put into service.  So If anyone is interested is anything here....we even have remotes for all the machines in addition to accessories like Ampex LED counters, locators, Eeco sync, timecode, and location hardware!!!
www.granitealps.com
973-628-4955

provoice

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:32:30 AM »

Tom...

Did you ever get that info on your Ampex 300?

Just curious... My brother has the Ampex 300 that came out of Chess Records Studio in Chicago in the mid '70's and the darned thing still works with the exception of one bad switch he has never bothered to replace!

Imagine the talent THAT machine has captured in the last 50 years!

If you are still looking, e-mail me and I can put you in touch with him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.