R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Long Will You Stay In Music?  (Read 2205 times)

hargerst

How Long Will You Stay In Music?
« on: June 05, 2004, 03:07:52 PM »

From September, 2002

It can be anywhere from a couple of years to a lifetime, but it's a good question to ask yourself every so often.  If you ever decide that you don't wanna be a musician anymore, what else can you do to make a living?  Yeah, you can be a salesman at a music store, but how many older guys do you see doing sales at music stores?

The trick is to find some other things that you're good at and learn them very well, just in case.  Designing web pages, graphics, advertising, electronic repair, mechanic, just as long as you learn some other skills that are marketable now, and in the future.  Or stay in music and reinvent yourself by learning some industry-related skills, such as arranging, songwriting, management, promotion, recording (no wait, forget that one; I've got that covered), you get the idea.  The trick is to make yourself valuable and keep yourself current with what's happening.

And that's not easy to do.  As we get older, we turn into our parents; we don't have time to keep up with the latest trends in anything, and life begins to pass us by, as we struggle to just make a living and keep what we already have.  The current musical message becomes alien to us, and we find ourselves reaching over to push the oldies button on the dial in an effort to at least relive the good times in our life.

All my life, I was very fortunate to listen to so many great types of music and maybe that opened me up to more possibilities than most people had.  I can easily switch from a string quartet to rock to country to jazz to rap, and still appreciate the talent and musicianship in every category of music.

I've found that some really great musicians often appreciate many other types of music far more than their fans would realize.  Most of the top Nashville musicians are also great jazz players and much of their music can be traced to their jazz influences, which in turn, comes from the blues, which also gave us rock, soul, R&B, and rap.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Family Hoof

Re: How Long Will You Stay In Music?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:51:24 AM »

Harvey is remedying my doubt once more.
~Jens J.

ted nightshade

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 02:37:36 PM »

I expect to be in music after I'm dead... but yeah, making a buck is something else entirely!
Ted Nightshade aka Cowan

There's a sex industry too.
Or maybe you prefer home cookin'?

debuys

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 01:27:52 AM »

Untill I'm on medicare and being a greeter at Walmart seems like fun
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

wireline

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:17:16 AM »

At least until I finish paying for everything...I'm 48 now, so I should still be "in the bizness" when I'm 117...

Didn't Leon McAuliff (steel player for the Texas Playboys) say it best when he said that when they all got too old to move their own amps around, it was time to quit?
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio, Midland, TX
Authorized Sales Agent, WWW.Soundpure.Com

McAllister

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 03:58:33 PM »

I will stay in music until I stop.

Might be tomorrow, but probably not.

My private radio playing in my head; I still get stoked hearing great music, I still have fantastic players with whom to play.

It is conceiveable that I'll stop someday, but from this point in my timeline, it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 19 queries.