R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Recording (dupe post)  (Read 2518 times)

debuys

Live Recording (dupe post)
« on: May 25, 2004, 03:40:41 AM »

I posted in Fletcher's forum too since I am unsure what is more apropriate. (neewb)

I am doing audio for a live DVD project this weekend. We can do up to 24 tracks. I am thinking just 16. The room is small (about 300 people) and narrow (about 50' x 150' x 10'). The PA is mono and loud most of the time.

Here's what I'm thinking please feel free to find fault and cast ridicule.

Drums (8 ) Kick, Snare, 4 toms, OHL and OHR

Guitars (3) 2 Electrics, one Piezo

Bass (1) DI

Vocals (3)

Room Mic (1) Audience... might be interesting will probably get mostly PA regardless of position and pattern.

I am planing on getting nothing from FOH, all splitters.

The Piezo gtr I think will only be on one song and there is little in the way of backups (2 other vox mics) but they are there.

We are planning to do some overdubs in the studio

Robert
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209

Tim Halligan

Re: Live Recording (dupe post)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »

Robert,
For a live DVD, you've got to go to at least 2 audience mics. Go 4 if you can and want to go surround. Give them stereo crowd at least. This is not so much for during the songs, but between them...the screaming/fainting/hysteria...or not. The better your positioning, the more you can use these mics during the songs as the crowd clap/sing along.
I've had good results from using tight mics (Senn 416's) slung from the front truss...inside (width-wise) the PA, and slightly behind, pointing about 1/3 of the way into the audience, and towards the centre. Hard pan them in the mix.
For the second pair, try them at the FOH mix position - assuming it's centrally located, and not against the wall -  aimed towards the back of the room. These can be the surrounds.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:22:25 AM »

Yes, I have to agree that it is important for DVD that you record audience in stereo if not more in pairs because when you mix you will want to have that room record and space is crucial in 5.1
Why are your track counts so small? Are you on ADAT or DA 88 ?
Try and get another than so you can record as many audience mic as possible without disturbing your actual instrumentation

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

debuys

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 03:48:57 AM »

I ended up decideing to do some more tracks. Part of the reason I was thinking 16 is just for the ease of dumping it into the computer for dubs and mixing. After everyones posts I ended up agreeing that haveing the audience in mono was a bad idea. I am on 3 ADATS. So, I'll be adding in another mic for the audience for stereo leaving me 7 more tracks to fill in any sonic holes. There are a three opening acts to I can probably guinie pig them a bit and get an idea of whats missing if anything durring the show. I'll be in a remote van outside so monitoring wont be inside. I'm fairly sure at this point I'm going to add some mics on the drums with the extra tracks. Any suggestion on placements?

BTW there is a concrete wall about 4 feet behind the drumer and his monitor is a stack (not wedge) on the snare side. I can get away with moving things monitor wise, but I'd rather not make anyone uncomfortable. I'd rather too much bleed than not enough feel.

Robert
Robert de Buys
Dreamcatchers
1818 28th Ave
Homewood, AL 25209
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 16 queries.