R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Dust" vs. The "Dig"  (Read 2227 times)

blues tunes

The "Dust" vs. The "Dig"
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:16:44 PM »

Ross,
You are one of the few Producer/Engineers that have found a way to balance rich tones and warmth with that "competitive" edge. It seems you've found a way to balance the whole analogue (dusty) and Digital (Loud, but ouch!) thing..... Is it more in the tracking? Mixing? The gear?

Ross Hogarth

Re: The "Dust" vs. The "Dig"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »

To answer this, I look at every stage in the record making process as a means to an end vision. My aural end vision is always changing but i do know what I like. My ears and heart have always loved warm, fat sounding records.
I have for years collected great amps and mics and "vintage gear "
For me digital is just a format now that helps make records , but has to be watched not to hurt it.
I pay attention to every step in the chain all along the record making process to try and keep that sonic vision intact.
I use quite few ribbon mics for their warmth with detail along with tube mics. I look closely at the placement of brittle sounding mics like 57's on guitars. I look closely at how much top end I add to cymbals and bright sounds because in digital these are not going to dull.
I make sure that in the end particularly if tape has never seen the project
I mix back to at least 1/2" analog if not a lot of times 1" analog 2 track.
and then finally, I make sure I stay in touch at least ,if possible with the mastering engineer so that I can express my wishes for the over all sonic finish line intended. You need a mastering engineer in  the end that is not going to ruin your work but compliment it

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.