R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus Compression (API vs. EL)  (Read 4486 times)

twilightoftheidols

Bus Compression (API vs. EL)
« on: May 14, 2004, 03:05:05 PM »

What kind of bus compressor would you put at the back end of an API 7800/8200 modular console, for compressing stereo rock mixes?  An API 2500, or an Empirical Labs Fatso?  Or perhaps an Avalon VT747SP?

Brendan E.

Ross Hogarth

Re: Bus Compression (API vs. EL)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »

I do not like the Fatso for master buss compression ....maybe someone else but not me.. I find the Fatso a great submix processor.

I really dig the SSL Allen Smart or a Neve 33609 or the API is great too.
Any of the above rock.
The Neve is a bit squishy, the SSL is very radio and the API is really good and versatile too. None are bad choices.

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

mwagener

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 09:09:29 AM »

Given the fact that the API is already a pretty colorful beast, I'd go for something transparent. My first choice would be the Crane Song STC-8. If you wanted to squeeze it more ("radio" as Ross calls it) the Al Smart C2 is the next contender. Another more neutral sounding comp is the Pendulum ES-8, very clean and round sounding.

antplugger

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:08:22 PM »

Hi Guys,   Sorry for the dumb question, I got into recording at home with a DAW, so dont have the benefit of understanding any if the basics.  

My question is what is bus compression and why use it rather than a compressor as an insert ?

Cheers

lucey

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 12:30:57 PM »

antplugger wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 11:08

My question is what is bus compression and why use it rather than a compressor as an insert ?

two mix or buss compression would be the equal to a stereo compressor inserted on your DAW master channel.

If you're asking why compress a group vs. a number of single channels ... it's a longer answer.

taste, mixing style, retaining the original track dynamics while bolstering the low level material. adding color and/or volume.

compressing the original tracks smashes things too much.  a mix with highly compressed transients sounds small
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Fibes

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 01:06:57 PM »

Sometimes 2 buss compression can act as a glue. It can also be an evil thing if done improperly.

There are so many advantages to compressiong groups of things like the rhythm section to get them breathing together. It can help with sonic glue or even timing/attack issues. Getting the bass and kick snapping together and blended back into the mix is a great tool for coffee laden hyper bassists playing on top of the beat.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 18 queries.