R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PM1000 line amp convert to preamp  (Read 1240 times)

calaverasgrandes

PM1000 line amp convert to preamp
« on: July 22, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »

I have a couple of extra PM 1000 subgroup channels. No real use for them. I have looked at the schematics and the summing amp seems nearly identical to the mic pre topology, just a few values difference. Of course I would need input transformers and stepped attenuators for gain, and a 44 volt PS.
has anybody else done this to anyones knowledge?
Or am I trail blazing here.
I think it would be pretty neat with the right tranny. I never liked the mid EQ freqs much on the PM 1000. But the Pres always seemed to pull off drums sounds rather well.

So far I have scrounged up some russian rotary multiswitches. Any thoughts on where to source input transformers?
Russ D'Arensbourg digital recordist, network technician, multi-instrumentalist.

Dave Hecht

Re: PM1000 line amp convert to preamp
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:12:24 PM »

Transformers? Try Jensen, Cinemag, Sowter, Tab. All make high quality transformers.

Dave Hecht

calaverasgrandes

Re: PM1000 line amp convert to preamp
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply!
I am definetly leaning towards Jensen or maybe something a little more cost effective. My obstacle is that
A. I dont know the spec on the regular PM1000 transformers at all, there is nothing in the schematic I have and no numbers/manufacturer info on the ones on my input channels.
B. I am shooting for a simplified version of the PM1000 channel strip which shuold sound better than the original since it is eliminating the EQ and sends, its important to me that the input tranny be close to original as possible.
If anybody has some apocryphal knowledge of where Yamaha sourced their input transformers that would be awesome.
(I had read elsewhere that they might be from Neve but thats obviously BS, Neve didnt make their own they contracted that out)
Russ D'Arensbourg digital recordist, network technician, multi-instrumentalist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 16 queries.