R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic Arts establishes Artwerk music label  (Read 3385 times)

blueboy

Electronic Arts establishes Artwerk music label
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:55:11 PM »

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31361/98/

Quote:

By Frederick Roberts
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:07

Los Angeles (CA) Video game publishing giant Electronic Arts has teamed up with Nettwerk One Music to establish a new music label based in Los Angeles. The new label intends to sign both unknown and established artists around the world for recording, publishing and distribution deals.

The first signing of the new label is Junkie XL, who previously worked with EA on Madden NFL ’07 and Need for Speed: Carbon. EA intends to push Artwerks new talent via its games, something the publisher has been doing until now, but without having the dedicated music label to follow through and push the artists careers forward.

"For the past five years EA has been instrumental in breaking new artists, but we have been limited in our ability to grow them," said Steve Schur, worldwide executive of music and marketing at EA.

"With Artwerk, we can now directly sign, develop and launch artists for publishing, master recordings, sync deals and beyond. With Nettwerk, we are once again partnered with the most visionary team in the industry. And with Junkie XL as our premier signing, we are enormously excited about the future."
"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

forgetmeknots

Re: Electronic Arts establishes Artwerk music label
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 02:17:12 AM »

One of my old instructors who is a project lead in audio for EA and independent producer has made mention that this is the way the industry will be headed.  

The days of the music business as we know it are soon to be gone, and most music will be featured via games/film.  

This is probably but the first of many to follow.  

I know Vivendi Universal has bought a few games houses as well, with Relic Entertainment being one of them in Vancouver.  

Feed Your Head - Listen

Etch-A-Sketch

Re: Electronic Arts establishes Artwerk music label
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »

yeah...this has been slowly starting to happen for a while (music featured via games/film/tv).  Nettwerk is one of our (Megatrax) competitors although we were very surprised when we heard about the deal, because comparatively speaking Nettwerk is one of the smaller companies in this industry.  I would have expected EA to team up with BMG owned Killer Tracks or DMI owned Five Alarm Music/Rescue Records or APM.

Anyway... it'll be interesting to see what Nettwerk does with EA's music.  A large part of which ISN'T artists, but in-game score.  Placing music like that is where companies like APM and Megatrax excel.  And its resulting revenue can be in the 8 to 9 figure range with consistency year after year, unlike artists which usually follow fads and have a limited shelf life of a couple years at most.

record labels and publishing as we know it are changing. It's going to be an interesting 5 years ahead of us, that's for sure!

Derek Jones
Audio Engineer

"I always say I can teach anyone HOW to get a great snare sound, I just can't teach WHAT a great snare sound is.” -Dave Pensado
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 18 queries.