R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steinberg Multicomp + Loudness maximizer  (Read 10646 times)

Ged Leitch

Steinberg Multicomp + Loudness maximizer
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:34:28 PM »

Been using these for a while now but,

Anyone know where to find the manuals (pdf's)?

or any tips???

index.php/fa/3325/0/

Reso???
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

Ged Leitch

Re: Steinberg Multicomp + Loudness maximizer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:36:59 PM »

and this

index.php/fa/3326/0/

user comments guys???
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

resolectric

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 06:49:30 AM »

Wow!
Loudness Maximizer!
Hadn't seen that red panel in a long time. I used it a lot. Now it just seems to sound too harsh when compared with more modern maximizing plugins.
For the same results with a cleaner, mor "pro" and transparent sound the L series of Waves maximizers is the way to go.
There are lots of options of course, such as TC Native's "Limiter" plugin wich IMO has a sound with characteristics that would set it between Steinberg's Loudness Maximizer and Waves' L2 (or L3).

Still, if you're looking for a certain "harshness" but with a better sounding plugin i suggest you try Steinberg's "Magneto". It can produce results that are very similar to those in Loudness Maximizer.
It comes bundled with all the versions of Cubase/Nuendo.

As for the MultiComp it's been replaced by the grey paneled "Multiband Compressor" that also comes bundled with Cubase/Nuendo. Not much difference in sound and only a few cosmetic changes, as far as my hearing can tell.
There are better options (more expensive though) as far as multi-band compression goes.

There was a plugin pack available from Steinberg wich included 6 of those red panel plugins. They called it the "Filter Pack" if my memory serves me. Those were DirectX plugs, not VST!
It included the first release of Magneto (much better looking than the new one), Loudness Maximizer, Spectralizer (sort of an Aural Exciter), the "cleaning" plugs Denoiser and Declicker and a very interesting and sophisticated EQ cloning plug named Free Filter.

It's been discontinued so it may be available free, as it often happens with some other plugs.

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 11:28:58 AM »

resolectric wrote on Tue, 29 August 2006 06:49

For the same results with a cleaner, more "pro" and transparent sound the L series of Waves maximizers is the way to go.

And both Sony Oxford Limiter and UAD-1' Mastering series are several setps above that.

resolectric

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 06:06:11 AM »

[quote title=compasspnt wrote on Sat, 02 September 2006 16:28
...UAD-1' Mastering series are several setps above that.
[/quote]

You mean the Precision Mastering Series?
UAD's Mastering series is available only in their Ultra Pak, i think, and i believe it includes a Limiter and an Equalizer but does it include any further tools?

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 11:35:41 AM »

Yes, the UA Precision Mastering series.  They also have a Precision Multiband.

I have that, and it is very powerful, but I am too simple to use it most of the time.

Very high quality plugins.

The Limiter and EQ are simple, elegant, and useful.

resolectric

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »

Cool.
Thank's for the advice.

I have read some about the UAD1 and i've recently seen news about a PCIe UAD card (the Expert pack).
I find it a bit complex, at the moment, deciding wich UAD system to go for since my main intended application for such a system would be mastering.
I have just relocated my recording studio to new premises and the former place will be reconverted in a mastering only suite, hence my interest in the UAD Mastering Series plugins.
I see lots of positive comments about UAD's plugins but mostly in a recording environment, and my interest in the UAD1 would be merely for mastering.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »

Obviously the Mastering Series is designed for Mastering use.

The only thing the EQ/Lim combo does not have is dithering.  I think there is dither on the Multiband, though, but I'm not a big fan of ALWAYS reaching for multiband processing in Mastering!

The other UAD plugins are also somewhat useful in Mastering, but it is analogous to the hardware world.  You can grab an LA2A or an 1176 or some other "recording" piece, and use it for Mastering, sure.  But day in/day out, on almost all songs?  No.

Pretty much the same for the digital versions.  They are quite good for plugins, but not as Master-useful.

The UA Cambridge EQ is good for some Mastering use.

And some other plugins I think are perfect for Mastering are the Sony Oxford EQ and the Sony Oxford Limiter.

Good luck!

Tomas Danko

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:30:09 PM »

Endorsement or not (I figure the latter)...

Do you, Mr. Manning, use the Sony Oxford and Sony Limiter UAD-1 plugins for mastering?

I wonder, and thus ask you kindly.

...Regarding nothing, I've been looping a track by Marco Borsato in Flemish throughout the entire day. It's called "Rood" and it's like a ballad, going into a very expressive rock track, morphing into a catchy trance techno track only to end up as an Irish folklore dance thingie, and then it mixes all those things together.

...And then there is a live version, also adding a latin groove. We're talking eight minutes and twenty six minutes here.

Gotta love the Access Virus patch in there.

Did I mention it's in flemish?

And I am so glad it has been the number one song in Belgium for quite a while by now. They really do need someone local to pull something like this off, reaching all different ages and tastes while expressing emotion using the flemish language. Instead of the charts being ruled by something... like... you know... American. (No offence, guys)

I managed to find it on iTunes, eventually. No small feat, that. However, ACC and DRM things set aside I bring you this...

http://www.danko.se/pontiac/01%20Rood%20(Single%20Version).m p3

It's too good not to share, this whole story.

You guys may disagree. I hope you do not, however.

Cheers,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »

Well, I suppose it is technically an endorsement...but not a solicited or paid one!

I often use the Sony Oxford Limiter as the final piece in mastering, including the dither.

The Oxford EQ I might use occasionally for a "final digital touchup" once capture is made.  But MOST EQ would be in the analogue realm with the EAR or Manley.  (Just as most compression would be analogue with the Neve or Manley or STC-8.)

Same with the UAD's.  The Precision EQ would be post-capture (and probably used more often then the Sony), and the Precision Limiter might be the "final" piece on occasion, although not for dithering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 20 queries.