R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terry--Oxford Limiter  (Read 814 times)

Extreme Mixing

Terry--Oxford Limiter
« on: August 19, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »

Terry,

I downloaded the demo of the Oxford and I'm going to buy it as a replacememt for the L2/L3.  One thing I'm missing are the reports that you could get from the L2.  You could look and see that the limiter had reduced gain by say 2.4 db during the song.  It doesn't seem like the Oxford gives you that feedback.  I don't want to come off like an engineye, rather than an engineer, but I do sort of miss that.  How about you?

As a PT Mix guy, who just upgraded to HD, I have to say that things have definitely gotten better in the box during the last 5 years, or so.  When I bought HD, the package that came bundled with it was pretty meager.  I just bought Massive Pack 5, and the TC VSS3 Reverb, and suddenly, Wow!!!  I feel that I have some pretty nice choices.  I'm sure you have noticed the same thing.

Steve

compasspnt

Re: Terry--Oxford Limiter
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 10:03:26 PM »

Hey Steve,

I never used those reports with L2 or L3, so I guess I never missed them.

I don't recall offhand what reports, if any, that the Sony gives, but of course the metering is quite excellent, and provides good feedback.

But the sound quality is so much better, to me it is worth it regardless.

I agree, the newer generation of plugins is much better, especially from the high end companies like Sony, UA, and others.

But I still use a huge slew of heavy iron hardware outboard gear, and I'm proud to have it.

Regards.

Extreme Mixing

Re: Terry--Oxford Limiter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »

Thanks Terry,

I agree that the Oxford sounds better, and that's why I'm buying it.  The "reports" are not some special page that you can open, just a little box at the bottom of the output meter that says what the max gain reduction has been since you last cleared it.  It's kind of handy and I was just wondering if the Sony had something like that as well.  Sometimes I would use the L2 just to hear what was going to happen to the mix when it went through the L2.

Right now, I'm sorting out what I need to buy/upgrade to keep my resources the same as what I had with my Mix system.  I think I'll be pretty happy with the basic pack I got with HD, and the Massive Pack 5, along with the TC Reverbs and the Oxford Limiter.  I feel comfortable with what I have so far.  I also have a bit of "iron".  I haven't sold ANYTHING since I traded my '57 bassman for a Delta Labs 1024 delay in about 1983.  What a bad mistake that was!!!  So I have quite a bit of stuff around here, but it's all because I really like the way it sounds.  No other reason.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.