R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding sample rate switch on the"Blue" series...  (Read 3534 times)

Jim Frazier

Question regarding sample rate switch on the"Blue" series...
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:46:50 AM »

Hi,

I own  Lavry 4496's, and my question is regarding the usage of the sample rate switch on the front panel of the M-Sync module.

Like many of us, I'm working on a handful of projects at the same time. Most I start and finish at 44.1. But I'm doing some over dub work on a 48k project. I use Logic, BTW.

Normally, when I know I'm going to work at the higher sample rates, I quit Logic, change the setting on the Lavry's from 44.1 to 48, and then relaunch Logic. No issues there.

Yesterday, I was working on a 44.1 project, and without thinking, I moved on to the 48k project. I didn't relaunch Logic, or set the Lavry's to 48k.

I did a bunch of editing, and even recorded some guitar overdubs in this 48k project. All the while, the Lavry's remained set at 44.1.

About 2 hours into it, I realized I hadn't switched anything. I knew that the tracks were playing at the right speed, which made me wonder why the switch is there, because usually, if I switch between sessions with different sample rates, the one I switch to plays slow (or fast) as it is trying to play a 48K file with the Lavry's set to 44.1 (or visa versa).

What's even weirder, is that the guitar tracks I recorded, recorded at 48k, even though the M-Sync was set to 44.1

Obviously, the way I thought this worked is not necessarily true. Can someone enlighten me as to why the session played and recorded at 48k (which is what I wanted it to do), yet the Lavry's remained set at 44.1?

Thanks for your time...

danlavry

Re: Question regarding sample rate switch on the"Blue" series...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »

Jim Frazier wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 15:46

Hi,

I own  Lavry 4496's, and my question is regarding the usage of the sample rate switch on the front panel of the M-Sync module.

Like many of us, I'm working on a handful of projects at the same time. Most I start and finish at 44.1. But I'm doing some over dub work on a 48k project. I use Logic, BTW.

Normally, when I know I'm going to work at the higher sample rates, I quit Logic, change the setting on the Lavry's from 44.1 to 48, and then relaunch Logic. No issues there.

Yesterday, I was working on a 44.1 project, and without thinking, I moved on to the 48k project. I didn't relaunch Logic, or set the Lavry's to 48k.

I did a bunch of editing, and even recorded some guitar overdubs in this 48k project. All the while, the Lavry's remained set at 44.1.

About 2 hours into it, I realized I hadn't switched anything. I knew that the tracks were playing at the right speed, which made me wonder why the switch is there, because usually, if I switch between sessions with different sample rates, the one I switch to plays slow (or fast) as it is trying to play a 48K file with the Lavry's set to 44.1 (or visa versa).

What's even weirder, is that the guitar tracks I recorded, recorded at 48k, even though the M-Sync was set to 44.1

Obviously, the way I thought this worked is not necessarily true. Can someone enlighten me as to why the session played and recorded at 48k (which is what I wanted it to do), yet the Lavry's remained set at 44.1?

Thanks for your time...

Hi,

Here is the way the Msync works:

1. When the right most switch is set to INTERNAL:

a. The lock light will be off (there is nothing to lock to).
b. The WIDE/NARROW switch does nothing (there is nothing to lock to).
c. The 2 left switches set the sample frequency. The choice (44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96KHz) is indicated by one of the lamps.

2. When the right most switch is set to WC or AES (external sync).    

First, setting the WIDE/NARROW to NARROW

a. In external sync mode, the idea is to make the lock lamp go on.
b. The unit expects a sync signal into the rear BNC connector. that signal should be WC (word clock) when the switch is at WC, or it should be an AES signal when the switch is at AES position.
b. You now need to set the 2 left most switches to the correct sample rate. You will know you are there when the lock lamp is on.

Second, when setting the WIDE/NARROW to WIDE:

a. This is similar to narrow, but given that the unit can accommodate a wide sample rate range, both the 44.1 and 48KHz are lit simultaneously (or 88.2 and 96KHz simultaneously).

So the only way I can explain your case is:
The unit was set to WIDE, and it followed what you fed it.
I simply can not see any way the unit can be in internal or external narrow mode, where the unit generates a 48KHz clock while indicating 44.1KHz, or visa versa.

The above is for AD. The DA will follow what you fed it, and will indicate the frequency it is receiving at the time.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Jim Frazier

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »

danlavry wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 19:23

So the only way I can explain your case is:
The unit was set to WIDE, and it followed what you fed it.
I simply can not see any way the unit can be in internal or external narrow mode, where the unit generates a 48KHz clock while indicating 44.1KHz, or visa versa.

The above is for AD. The DA will follow what you fed it, and will indicate the frequency it is receiving at the time.

Thanks so much for the detailed response Dan. I do appreciate it.

The weird thing is, my unit was set to "narrow". In fact, the settings were

Low
Narrow
Internal

This is actually how I have it set 95% of the time. With the 44.1/48 switch being the only one that gets changed periodically.

I guess I can understand the tracks playing back at the correct sample rate... that goes with what you just said about the D/A conversion.

But as far as the guitar getting recorded at 48 (the A/D)... that one has me a bit freaked out, because you've said that's not really possible, at least with the settings the way they were. But that's what happened...Fortunately, it worked in my favor this time around.

How strange...

Gunnar Hellquist

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

Jim Frazier wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 22:14

But as far as the guitar getting recorded at 48 (the A/D)... that one has me a bit freaked out, because you've said that's not really possible, at least with the settings the way they were. But that's what happened...Fortunately, it worked in my favor this time around.

The program you use for recording might be smart enough to do sample rate conversion?

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellquist
unafiliated

Jim Frazier

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »

I hadn't thought about that Gunnar... good point.

I'm pretty fluent with Logic, been using it daily for 6+ years now, and I wasn't aware of it being able to do that.

And if that is indeed what happened, that's pretty scary! There is a lot about Logic I like,  but it's sample rate conversion isn't one of it's strengths... although it's better than it used to be... Still, I'd rather decide when something gets converted, not have my software assume for me... Smile

I'll look into that as a possible cause... Thanks.

PookyNMR

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 02:24:19 AM »

The DA will lock to the signal coming in from the AES connection whether or not the MSYNC is set to a different sample rate or not.  It is possible to have the MSYNC and AD section set to a different rate than the DA.  This is probably why your computer system played back the music properly through your DA even though your AD / MSYNC was set incorrectly.

(EDIT:  sorry for the redundancy.  Just re-read and saw the same response by Dan...)
Nathan Rousu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.