R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different CLOCK Question : clocking a daw/computer inside ?  (Read 2424 times)

electrock

Does an external clocking or any clocking at all only deal with the a/d and d/a or does it also deal with how the audio is being used inside the sequencer/mixingbuss/computer ?

Because it is DATA does it matter if it has a good clock or not if it stays inside the computer , for example bouncing to disk and burning that to a cd ?

PlugIns are not affected by any clock ? because the data goes into the plugin calculates and delivers back just like sending a file to a disk ?
Softsynths actually don't use a clock internally to be modelled ?

So if i have good quality tracks from a pro studio on a hard drive and i put them in my session , everything at normal level, bounce that to disk and burn a copy. If i have really bad (which you can hear so extremely well:)  )  D/A , the cd will sound fine because it was just data before the d/a  ????

i hope you can understand what i'm trying to ask , that's why i asked it in 4 different questions Smile

I was looking at some posts and saw a discussion about this.

Jon Hodgson

Re: Fast Jitter/clocking question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

Clocking of the processing makes no difference, in fact it is unlikely that the processing is done at a steady rate of samples anyway, generally speaking it's considerably more efficient to process a few samples at a time.

As for the quality of your DAC including its clocking, it won't directly affect the sound of the resulting CD if you do the transfer digitally... but it'll be harder to produce a good mix with poor monitoring.

electrock

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »

I never thoughted about it what the computer actually does. But he's just reading data and doing maths, that's all it does. There is no internal 44.1khz or higher anything going on.

Not even in a digital console... once it hits the a/d it just stays the same after that and gets calculations... until it goes back out thru the d/a ?

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »

electrock wrote on Tue, 27 June 2006 15:57

I never thoughted about it what the computer actually does. But he's just reading data and doing maths, that's all it does. There is no internal 44.1khz or higher anything going on.

Not even in a digital console... once it hits the a/d it just stays the same after that and gets calculations... until it goes back out thru the d/a ?

Right, on both counts.

A digital console is just a dedicated computer.

electrock

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »

Ok so that concludes me to mention this :

You get recorded files on a harddrive, which were recorded with let's say AD-16x or any other good clock device (prism, lavry,etc...).
If i open that session which features some plugins and maybe a softsynth on
my powerbook with let's say a MBOX with internal clock, hooked up to.
Than the bounce to disc should be the same sound when compaired to the AD-16x
setup's bounce to disc !
By then burning those 2 files to a cd, both tracks will have the same sound, depth etc...

for purists Smile :
I'm talking about compairing the audio files on a good system. I'm just curious about the information, i know it will sound worse because of the mbox but i'm dealing here with the computer/sequencer side and want to know about the bounce to disk feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 17 queries.