R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zipping  (Read 10607 times)

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
Zipping
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »

OK, I'm venting out here.

Zipping incoming material seems to be impossible for most people. I've tried to phrase the zipping instructions in every possible way, and if I manage to get zipped material in, it's usually that each track is separately archived.. Unbelievable, and a lot of clicking for the client if it's an album they're sending.

It's annoying to be slightly worried every time if the material is OK or not. Sometimes the tails might be abruptly cut, and I need to reload, check, call back if it it was always like that - a lot of extra hassle that could be avoided if people just used the zip.

I have even seen professional engineers who don't know how to use the zip. But opening archives seems to never be a problem, I can't recall a single time with someone asking "what kind of a file is this?".

Phew.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
Re: Zipping
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »

I always go with .rar when I'm sending mastered files out to clients, as I believe .rar is better optimised for PCM audio files than .zip is, but .zip does seem to be a lot quicker than .rar. Most clients send me uploaded .wav or .aif files, and I have given up asking them for .zip or .rar. I think they both contain checksum error checking. I know Bob Katz makes a good case for .flac being the file transfer format of the future, as it is a faster encode/decode than .rar or .zip, compresses the file size more, and still contains a checksum.

Sorry, not really answered your question (although maybe you didn't ask one and are just venting?) ;) Just a few observations of my own after too much coffee!

Greg Reierson

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »

I ask everyone to place all audio files, track sheets and comments in one folder, zip that folder, and then select that zipped file with the upload tool on my site. Seems to be clear enough. It saves everyone a lot of clicking and a successful unzip is nice assurance of a successful file transfer.

GR
Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »

This is something I was previously concerned about, now I do not need to worry about it.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

Mastertone

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »

This is something I was previously concerned about, now I do not need to worry about it.

Thats great! So what did you do? Or not?
Jonas Ekstrom
Mastertone Mastering
www.mastertone.se

Viitalahde

• Real Full Name: Jaakko Viitalähde
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:29 PM »

Did you lose all of your clients?
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
http://www.facebook.com/VirtalahdeMastering

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »

https://www.wetransfer.com/

Awesome free file transfer site.  It zips files for you upon uploading.  I recommend all of my clients send files to me through WeTransfer and always send files back to them through WeTransfer. 

JimK

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

Awesome free file transfer site.  It zips files for you upon uploading.  I recommend all of my clients send files to me through WeTransfer and always send files back to them through WeTransfer.

Hi Mark,

Have you ever had any issues with WeTransfer?

I had a client that was using it to send me files and it locked up on me a couple of times during download. Just curious, it may have been a fluke.

Jim Kissling

Ruairi O Flaherty

• Real Full Name: Ruairi O'Flaherty
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »

I've been using wetransfer a lot lately and I really like it.  I don't trust it to zip files though, I've had corrupted zip archives twice in the last few months when the client relied on wetransfer to do the zipping.  I ask all clients to put everything in one folder and then zip that before uploading, it has been working well.

Ruairi O Flaherty

• Real Full Name: Ruairi O'Flaherty
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »

Hi Mark,

I had a client that was using it to send me files and it locked up on me a couple of times during download. Just curious, it may have been a fluke.

I'm not Mark, but the only real issues I've had were the above.  I do find it wants you to be on latest version of Flash and it's not as tolerant of bad connections as some services (yousendit for example).  Otherwise it's been a great interim until I get my own FTP space up.

aleatoric

• Real Full Name: Mark Trewella
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »

Hi Mark,

Not a single issue here except one time the site was down for about 20-30 hours and I had to resort back to using SendSpace that day.  WeTransfer is great.  Zips files for you, good speeds, multiple files at once up to 2GB, clean and simple interface, email confirmations both for sent files as well as downloaded files, saves your contacts, etc.  I'd give it another go, it was probably just a fluke. 

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »

Ha ha.. :D no I use a different technique now.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

bradsarno

• Real Full Name: Brad Sarno
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »

Another thumbs-up for WeTransfer. I still zip beforehand when sending, but it's a great service, and I love how it will drop directly in the folder of my choice when receiving and not just into my cluttered downloads folder. I was using yousendit for a while, but have gravitated over to WeTransfer almost entirely.

Brad

JimK

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

I've used yousendit for a long time with no issues ever, so I'll probably stay put for now. It seems like there are new transfer sites popping up all the time. I just received files the other day from someone using another site called "ADrive".

Jim Kissling

lowland

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »

Wetransfer here as well - I was put on to it by a customer last year, and have being using it increasingly.

I like the fact that the amount of traffic is effectively unlimited apart from the 2Gb per single send (nothing to stop you sending as many up-to-2Gb chunks as you wish), and I like the named indication of who has downloaded what, handy if you've sent a number of different data deliveries each copied to several people - Box.net, which I pay for, doesn't do this, only says 'someone' has downloaded. No problems with the auto zipping, BTW.

Short of having my own server, Wetransfer, Dropbox and Filezilla together with Zip and MD5 cover me pretty well for data transfer.
Nigel Palmer
Lowland Masters
www.lowlandmasters.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.