R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: treating tracks, what do you prefer and why/how?  (Read 5479 times)

Michael Durovic

treating tracks, what do you prefer and why/how?
« on: February 08, 2006, 06:56:21 AM »

probably off topic and much too large for one single post, for sure discussed a million times before too...
j., just move it if I once again set my feet ankle deep into the obvious dogsh... everyone describes a huge cycle just to don't do the same...

Even if there are different materials to work on from, we often use the same tools to reach a certain sound for certain instruments.

For vocals:
I specialized in using following chain (I don't like mud and emphasize mostly on breath and fragility/airy)

waves renDe-esser, LinLoEQ (lo cut @ 120 or up to 160), c4 (hard comp for all bands, 20-120/160, 120/160-300, 300-3k, 3k-20k),
RenEQ6, LA-2A, Magneto (Steinberg plug, tape sim), L2(as output plug to be tweaked with the vol.fader)  

For guitar:
2 settings, 1st clean (lo cut 120, 6k hi shelv up to 9/12db)
2nd heavy (lo cut 160, less 500, 6k hi shelv down to 9db)

in general:
LinLoEQ (lo cut @ 120/160), Fairchild, RenEQ4 (cleaning 500, emph. 2k, hi shelv 6k), c4 (mid crunch @ 260/300-3k), L2 (tweaking out 3-6db @ 0,3ms release)

for bass:
splitting up in 2:

1st: linloEq (lo cut @120/160), LA-2A, C4, RenEQ6 (hi shelv @ 3k), L2

2nd: LinloEQ (lo cut @60/80, hi cut@ 120/160), , Rencomp,Renbass (@120/160), RenEQ2, L2

So probably I'm a bad Producer 'cause I'm pushing "my" sound on every musician I work with (clarity and frequency separation), but in most cases I do work arrangements out, get the lyrics with them, and sometimes teach them how to play Wink
so I get a pretty wide overview of what the band/artist wants to express, and if she/he/they do play certain instruments AND a certain music genre then they have(?, yes I'm a dictator) to accept that it needs certain kind of treatments to achieve certain emotions.

if they want extra low guitars, they should get a bass or a baritone guitar, that's what they're made for... Wink
you never have enough time

j.hall

Re: treating tracks, what do you prefer and why/how?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »

interesting.  you EQ before you compress.  i do the exact opposite.

anyway.  i don't really have a spcific thing i do every time.

i do find myself boosting 60Hz on kick drums most every time.

i also find myself digging into the bass tone a lot.  i try to avoid compression, but that doesn't always work.

guitars are tricky.  every one seems to have a different opinion about what makes a great guitar tone.  as a mixer, you have to try to figure out if the tone printed is the sound they like, or if you need to mess with it at all.

i also think that EQ and compression on guitars only gets you so far.  if you need a totally different tone, you have to either re-amp it, or re-cut it.

pg666

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:13:14 PM »

hmmmmm..

i think if you're making the same EQ adjustments on certain instruments every single time, you might wanna play with your mic choices/positioning (and possibly the tones coming out of people's instruments, if they'll let you).

i used to cut significant mid-range out of bass drums by default until i tried not putting the mic inside the bass drum for once. the low/mid range sounded way better to me (without having to cut much at all) and i just compensated for the lack of attack by pointing the 'overheads' more towards the bassdrum and using a plastic beater. (and yes, there's less sub-y low end this way, but i find that anything below 80hz or so has little to do with 'bigness'..)

i used to roll off the high end on distorted guitars consistently until i tried not using a dynamic mic 2" away for once. using ribbon mics also helped in this regard.

i dunno; there's a thread in Brad's forum about minimal processing during the mastering stage that's pretty interesting. the consensus over there seems to be that processing of any kind is always a compromise to some extent; i think it's an interesting idea to think about when recording..

j.hall

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 12:30:50 PM »

pg666 wrote on Wed, 08 February 2006 11:13

i dunno; there's a thread in Brad's forum about minimal processing during the mastering stage that's pretty interesting. the consensus over there seems to be that processing of any kind is always a compromise to some extent; i think it's an interesting idea to think about when recording..

i don't know, i typically stop at nothing to get what i need.  i'll boost 60Hz 15dB on a floor tom if i need to.

my goal is to always get a song sounding it's best, so in mastering they have to do very little.  keep in mind that's a goal......

but i do agree that if you find yourself doing the exact same things repeatedly, you should look into acoustics, mic placement, mic selection....etc...

while tracking i try to get the best picture of the source from the mic first.  if that won't happen, i'll change the source, if that won't happen, i'll apply EQ and/or compression to tape.

pg666

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »

Quote:

i don't know, i typically stop at nothing to get what i need. i'll boost 60Hz 15dB on a floor tom if i need to.

..d112s are underrated for floor toms  Smile i know, i know, you're a mixer...

a lot of my 'philosophy' stems from working in crappy studios (or my folk's basement), so EQ (usually a mackie or something) to me is a dead-last resort option. the irony of eventually getting to record in fancy places is even though they do have amazing EQs, the accoustics, mics, and monitors are better so i don't end up using them much there either.

1gibsonMO

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »

I don't have any set ideas with anything over about 250 hz other than knowing I may fiddle with the kick and bass to find their slots.  If I did not track it, then I may give two or 3 listens to  the basic tracks while taking notes before cracking into the mix.  If I tracked the stuff..... right off the front I am trying to mitigate any aggressive mix actions (lots of knob twisting and needle jumping).  There are so many frequency variables involved in a recording that HUMANS played, mic'ed instruments, and tracked!  Taking that into consideration, I cannot tell you before mixing what freq I will cut or boost until i hear the material.  I don't even know if I will mult/compress??  Then again, I don't have A sound, I would rather leave that to the band.

My personal dream is for the day when I track AND mix everything flat and cannot make anything better!..... yeah right.... find me a robot band!!!!

Best of luck,

JA

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »

1gibsonMO wrote on Wed, 08 February 2006 16:19

find me a robot band!!!!

ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/

1gibsonMO

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »

Awesome!!!!

I am definitely using GTRBOT666's photo for my profile pic!

ja

scott volthause

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »

I suppose I do have things that I reach for when first framing a mix, but those first decisions don't usually last. They just help to move the mix along.

For instance, I am usually going to suck some of the midrange out of a kick drum, just to hear what it's doing. And ususally I am going to poke the ass of the bass guitar out, so I can find it's spot where it's nesstled in with the kick.

But I think now that's more methodology and knowing the centers of power of certain instruments, in general.

I dunno. Interesting topic.

Michael Durovic

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 07:13:01 PM »

yes,
it wouldn't be possible to eq anything prior you heard it, but...

as you can see I use compression (esp. C4) excessive, that's where eq'ing gets predictable (if you use the c4s band gain too)

yes,
I do experiment much with mic placement and mic decision.
Right now I'm experimenting with pseudo-binaural.
no head or stuff, just 2 c414 head-wide for one source.

yes,
I do experiment much with instruments.
tuning, taping, muting, eqing, compressing, hitting, whatever.

as I try to achieve a balance between larger than live and the guy sitting next to playing on old strings I do think it's necessary to suppose that much plugs/fx.

as with psycho-acoustics (uh, did I really say that?): the more subtle effects you use the longer it takes to get your ears bored.

as with natural sounding: as the lowest guitarstring (norm tune) is around 300HZ, I would think that one octave down is enough for fatness and psycho-acoustics in the rock/pop genre where everything has to be nearly the same stage (speaking of stereo-picturing) +/- 1 to 5 meters behind/front.

I don't think that someone (except the guitarplayer himself) hears 60HZ of an acoustic guitar if he/she is one of 150 people in a small theater. they will probably be lo-shelved-out by nature.
to go further with that example: as we do (or am I the only one?Wink close micing to avoid room/feedback we have to remove that subs (not just lo shelv) and lo shelv the now attenuated freq around 150HZ.

(with a sm58 the proximity(close the metal) is around 14db @ 100 or so... don't have the freq. specs with me right now, sorry)

freq. separation gets really necessary if you use (pseudo)binaural.
e.g. as I really like pearl jam, and I admire the techniques of the engineer, I truly feel like that could have been treated better with guitar-eq'ing at the amps themselve or at least at mixing stage with lo cut / lo shelv.
of course it's their "sound", but I do think they could do better if they would use at least pre-channels (before the power amp of the guitar stack) with real eq'decisions possible...

Ryan Leigh Patterson

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »

In terms of EQ and Compression and the order in which I place them, it all depends on what I want the compresser to do and what I want the eq to do.  

On room mics where I'm cutting out alot of the bottom end, I always eq first so that the compresser is getting hit with the right frequencies.  Overheads are another place where I might eq pre compresser.  It's really just a matter of what you want the comp to do...

Ryan Patterson
Toronto, Ontario
www.myspace.com/ryanlpatterson

scottoliphant

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »

Michael Durovic, maybe post some mp3's of your examples maybe? would love to hear the vocals before and after the 6 plug chain

cerberus

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »

as an engineer... i do not approach music with templates in mind before i hear it. yeah, i think you are cutting corners because as a producer it's your job to move things along at a certain pace.. so, imo... the best for you would be to hire an engineer whose only job is listening and making these specific mixing decisions to your satisfaction.

jeff dinces

Michael Durovic

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 06:59:43 AM »

cerberus,
a man, a word. that's what I do (for my own music).

scottoliphant,
of course. here it is.

the first one wo fx

Michael Durovic

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 07:02:23 AM »

with fx, roughly.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.