R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes needs ISRCs  (Read 1368 times)

Adam Dempsey

iTunes needs ISRCs
« on: January 29, 2006, 10:52:13 PM »

Following on from the below MP3 thread, we're uploading label material (licenced) to iTunes and are told "ISRCs are a requirement for uploading to iTunes" (and is a mandatory field  in the iTunes Producer application used for uploading).

Now, this is in process of discussion as, being an optional code under Sony/Philips specs, many will know the fraction of releases that actually feature ISRCs.

Anyone encountered this? Or applied ISRCs retrospectively? (our owner code was allocated years ago, so that side is sorted).

I can only imagine how many versions of, for example, 'Caravan' and 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' are on this jazz label's catalogue..!
Adam Dempsey
Jack the Bear's Deluxe Mastering
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Add presence, or subtract absence?

TotalSonic

Re: iTunes needs ISRCs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:58:36 PM »

ISRC's are free and readily available from the RIAA - everything you need to know is found at
http://www.riaa.com/issues/audio/isrc_faq.asp

Best regards,
Steve Berson

turtletone

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:59:23 PM »

I know that most of the Distributors now require not only ISRC codes for everything, but also CDTEXT. From what I gather, they are using something that rips all the info and creates the ID3 tags during the conversion. basically they want to do less work and lay it on us.
Michael Fossenkemper
TurtleTone Studio
info@turtletonestudio.com
www.turtletonestudio.com

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:40:52 PM »

Adam Dempsey wrote on Sun, 29 January 2006 22:52

Following on from the below MP3 thread, we're uploading label material (licenced) to iTunes and are told "ISRCs are a requirement for uploading to iTunes" (and is a mandatory field  in the iTunes Producer application used for uploading).

Now, this is in process of discussion as, being an optional code under Sony/Philips specs, many will know the fraction of releases that actually feature ISRCs.

Anyone encountered this? Or applied ISRCs retrospectively? (our owner code was allocated years ago, so that side is sorted).

I can only imagine how many versions of, for example, 'Caravan' and 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' are on this jazz label's catalogue..!

ISRC's are the responsibility of the label, Adam. Or in the case of a self-produced band, the producer, artist, songwriter or whoever owns "the recording". Unless the owner of the recording is affliated with the studio or ME, than he should want to register his company for his own ISRC's. Once the material leaves the ME's hands, the project is signed off and paid for, than logging of where it goes is not typically a concern of, or in the ME's interest. iTunes is using ISRCs to log impressions (i-net airplay times X stations) and for a count on download sales. Songs may have the same title, same lyrics, same arrangement and be different recorded versions of the same song, but the ISRC identifies "the recording" as unique not necessarily the song and associates the owner of a version of a recording or mix. Unless you are getting points and have a vested interest in the recordings, I would advise your clients to have the owner of the material register with IFPI. Once you know his registrant code, you can assign the numbers from the number where the client wants them to start, typically 00001 for a first timer. If the first cd or video has 12 songs, 00001-00012, the first recording on the next album  would start with 00013 and so on.  

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------