R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opinion?  (Read 4480 times)

Norwood

Re: Your opinion?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 05:55:20 PM »

I really like the sound you got on the record.  I think it serves the music well.  I think getting this music too polished and hi-fi would take away from the vibe of the album.  I understand your desire to get better but I think you did quite well on this.  Sometimes we are our own worst critics... I know I am.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

drumsound

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 11:00:08 PM »

It's pretty cool music with definite vibe.  I agree that the top is too sizzly and the bottom a bit light.  I like the vocal sound, though I'd like the vocal a scoch higher n the mix.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 02:33:17 PM »

I promised Casey I'd give my opinions on some of his tunes, so here are some random thoughts w/o reading other replies.  Sorry if I beat an already-dead horse.  Let me just say that overall it's a very pro effort, and I'll be picky:

#11 By Lantern Light . . . wow, nice structure & melody.  The female vox seems a bit too thin, and her 'verb isn't as lush as I'd like.  I would back off her level just a touch, too.  I'd also like to hear more 'verb on the drums.  It's kind of a non-interesting snare.  As far as the arrangement goes, I would consider losing the drums until the break, and then make sure the piano is up as high as the acoustic guitar (or actually that the acoustic is low enough).  The piano seems to be the primary instrument in the tune, and it should stay that way.  (In my opinion, of course.)  LONG outro.

#3  Hold Your Fire . . . hmmm, it just sorta starts with a faint drum click.  Weird edit?  Some of the little keyboard flourishes aren't so well-timed.  The xylophone is too loud.  Prechorus reminds me of Bowie.  (This is good.)  The chorus drags, mostly because of the flamma-flamma drums.  Nice jangly guitar.  Man, this song is letting me down.  It's got such potential, but hmmm, it's just not quite a hit right now.  It's just a bit spastic.  I think it's "overproduced" in a certain sense.

#2  All Defenses Down . . . cool.  Cool, cool, cool.  Maybe a bit of distortion in that opening pad?  Oh, I like the autopanning delay on "dry".  Chorus is dragging a bit, but it's a wonderful resolution to the tension in the verse.  Lead singer needs to clear his throat on "All defenses down!"  This song reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd.  (This is also a good thing.)  I'm not totally cool on the tempo variations, though.  And the swirly panning organ is a bit loud at times, too.

Casey, this is adventurous, intelligent pop.  You are to be commended.  I think it challenges the listener, but not in some sort of "look at me" way, but rather it draws them in.  I'd like to hear you rein in a bit of the production tricks and focus on the SONGS just a bit more, because they're strong.  Very strong.  And quite original, I might add.

Good job.

canada

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 02:43:55 PM »

Thanks, I agree with you 100%...

About Hold Your Fire... I think that song could've come off much stronger, but we have never played it in a room and it's all overdubs.  I wish I had more time to mix that one.

I was actually going for a really lo-fi mix on By Lantern Light, as if Sebadoh had recorded it (hence the super hype acoustic guitar in the outro).  Once again, there's only one song on this whole record that was recorded live in a band setting (only me and another guy in the band).

Thanks for your kind criticisms!
you're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it  -       malcolm x

jimmyjazz

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 03:10:46 PM »

Who am I to criticize an aesthetic decision, but I often recoil at intentional lo-fi.  This isn't to say I haven't done it myself, but usually when I don't have much "hifi" to work with!

It's a beautiful song.  My philosophy is usually to try not to cut beauty off at the knees.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.