R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isolating Video Display from audio  (Read 4047 times)

rlejr

Isolating Video Display from audio
« on: December 20, 2004, 02:53:53 PM »

Please give me some opinions.  I am cabling a home recording studio desk.  I know it is important to keep audio cables away from and especially not running parallel to power cables, video power cable included of course. However, what about the video signal cable(15-pin SVGA)running between the video diaplay and the PC? I know it only carries low voltage and both my video and audio cables are sheilded, but I'm leary about stapping them down together in a cable bundle.  Does anyone know the answer/'best practice' for this?

Brian Roth

Re: Isolating Video Display from audio
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 12:35:56 AM »

I always kept any video lines separated from audio jsut "on principle" since they carry signals with sharp "edges" in the waveforms.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

rlejr

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:34:44 PM »

Thanks Bryan.  I agree it is always better to be on the safeside.  However, due to access and cable lengths, your answer wasn't what I wanted to hear.  I need to run that SVGA cable along the audio path!!!

So, I sent an email to Furman Sound technical support.  The answer I got back was yes there might be some crosstalk, but the SVGA signal is in the megahertz range.  Any noise introduced would be miles above human hearing and anything that would be a problem for my DAW's.  

danlavry

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 01:09:41 PM »

rlejr wrote on Tue, 21 December 2004 17:34

Thanks Bryan.  I agree it is always better to be on the safeside.  However, due to access and cable lengths, your answer wasn't what I wanted to hear.  I need to run that SVGA cable along the audio path!!!

So, I sent an email to Furman Sound technical support.  The answer I got back was yes there might be some crosstalk, but the SVGA signal is in the megahertz range.  Any noise introduced would be miles above human hearing and anything that would be a problem for my DAW's.  

I never ran svag near audio, and can not comment on the amount of cross talk. That depends on shielding, cable length and so on.

Say you have a signal that is in the MHz that carries some low frequency content. That is how radio works (AM modulation and FM modulation) and TV does also. I know in the case of radio there is a lot of audio modulating the high frequency (that is the whole idea of radio transmission). I am not sure about the case of svga.

Say some audio modulated high frequency finds it way to the audio signal. The process of separation of audio from the high frequencies - is called demodulation. Non linearity in a circuit can certainly demodulate the signal creating some audio signals.

Where is the non linearity? Few active circuits designed to accommodate say 20KHz, or 100Khz (or some other range), come with some "front end protection" (attenuation) against high frequencies. Many circuits designed for audio expect no high frequencies at the input. A circuit designed to behave well (linearly) for lower frequencies, may become very non linear at higher frequencies.  

I am not saying it will happen. There are 3 "if 's" here:
1. The high frequency is a carrier for audio signals
2. Some of it will couple to the audio cable
3. The destination circuit will demodulate the audio

BR
Dan Lavry

Brian Roth

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 04:34:45 PM »

Wellllll, there *is* the vertical sync signal which is in the 60 to 90 Hz range typically.  H sync should be well above the audible range, but could trigger some sort of non-linearity as Dan posted.  

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.