R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CROWN DC-300.... any good, what are your thoughts?  (Read 2389 times)

guitarbth

CROWN DC-300.... any good, what are your thoughts?
« on: July 29, 2004, 06:51:17 PM »

Hi all, Im considering picking up a Crown DC-300 as a power source for my ns-10s. However, just as I was convinced that I was going to buy it, a very reputable source told me that it may be to "slow" for monitoring. What are your thoughts? What are these used for if they arent the best choice for monitors? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Level

Re: CROWN DC-300.... any good, what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 07:26:58 PM »

The Crown DC300 was an absolute reference for many years. I had one laying around for many years. (over 20)

I received a rather high end amplifier to do an equipment review (professionally) and in the process of this review, I considered purchasing the review piece. I sold my then reference amplifier (Krell KAV250) after comparison and when I finished the review, I was not in the position to purchase the review piece. My McIntosh MC2500 was in the shop getting its 10 year check-up so I resistantly connected the DC300 up for the time being.

That old thing holds its on. If I had to describe its sound..I would say, slightly mellow, bass is not as fast and tight as the Krell or the review piece (name withheld due to corporate restrictions) but very sweet compared to many amplifiers on the market today. Very Quiet.

It is a good amplifier..but for the 500 dollar range, their are many new amplifiers that will also perform to its level and better. If I had a choice between a Hafler DH series and the Crown, I would choose the Hafler. If the choice was between an Alesis or lower priced QSC, I would choose the Crown.

1. It is a good amp
2. It is old. Some of the parts are obsolete.
3. It has a complicated protection circuitry. Some say it gets "in the way of the sound"
4. It is a direct coupled amplifier and it will pass a DC signal. It can bake those Yamahas in a millisecond if DC is entered into it. The DC300 should always be used with fuses. Why you may ask? It can deliver unbelievable current at DC. You could weld with that thing and drive large electric motors (the service manual actually tells how to use it to drive motors)

For a bargain, the professional Yamaha amplifiers can be had on ebay for a song. I saw several going for less than 250 dollars and they would be preferable IMHO.

Now...if you decide you don't want that crown and it is available for a rather low price, I would not mind owning another one so I can run them dual Mono..since I do have one. I have some loudspeakers that need that kind of juice and one DC 300 does not quite cut it...but a pair would do it.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Eric Rudd

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 10:38:28 AM »

It's what all the NS10s are powered with at Ocean Way Hollywood for the past two decades, if that gives you any indication.

Just to clarify, you're talking the DC300, and NOT the 300A. Two entirely different sounding beasts. The 300A didn't sound nearly as good, IMHO.

In combination with the NS10s, they sound great. As with any speakers, however, the sound will be room-dependent.

Eric Rudd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rob G

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 10:56:57 PM »

Level

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 11:38:12 PM »

Sums it up, sonically formadable, not unique in texture display or finess, legato bass...but fun and a good amp. A lot of shit is being marketed today that cannot compare in either arena.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.