R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Designs MP2  (Read 5440 times)

Blap

A Designs MP2
« on: May 31, 2004, 04:22:01 AM »

Anyone using the new version of the A Designs MP2?  Just the regular model, not the one for ribbon mics.  I am looking for a clean type pre for vocals and acoustic guitars.  I already have color with a Great River NV, and Vintech 1272, so I'm looking for something clean and complimentary to those.  

Also thinking about the Phoenix DRS model. Thanks!  

Jim Dugger

Re: A Designs MP2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:06:26 PM »

There is a pretty lengthy discussion on the A Designs preamp if you just search through the forum.

I got my first listen of one today.  My dealer got one in and we hooked it up to an AEA R84 ribbon.

First impressions:  Good sound, not too forward, but with a nice touch of a "Vintage Tube Sound".  Not tube oozey, but richer than normal.  Not so much in the mids.  I could totally use this preamp.  It's not a spotlight pre, but has a nice sound.

Second Impression:  This box has a SERIOUS build quality problem.  If you flip a switch on the front panel or tap the case in anyway, a LOUD 4k-ish metal "riiiiing" comes through the audio.  If you clap your hands above the box, same thing.  So, I'm guessing the tubes suffer from some pretty nasty microphonics, but I don't really know.  Regardless, I was very unimpressed.  

If you have a one room studio, take a pass on this box.  I can only imagine tracking snare drum is going to cause this awful "Ting, Ting, Ting" every time the drummer smacks the head.  If you have a control room, make sure the monitors aren't up too much and that you don't talk loud during the take because you are going to make a notable impact on the sound.

Given the price, I'd save a little more money and look at the Pendulum or Millennia, or any of the other dozen great tube preamps out there.

Blap

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:31:33 PM »

Thanks for info Jim.....after more research I think I'm going to go with a John Hardy.  

Nathan Eldred

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:10:29 AM »

Jim Dugger wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 17:06

Second Impression:  This box has a SERIOUS build quality problem.  

Sounds to me like your unit was broken.  Did you tell your dealer or the distributor (Trans America Audio group) about it, and if so were you ignored and refused to be supplied with a replacement?  I'm just trying to make heads or tails of this, considering you said you liked the sound.  With the kind folks behind this unit, you should have been supplied with good customer service, unless of course they were not aware of the situation.
Nathan Eldred

The Store:

AtlasProAudio.com

The Studio:

AtlasRecording.com

Jim Dugger

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 12:05:46 PM »

I tried the preamp in my delaer's shop.  He had it in on evaluation from the distributor, I assume, though I don't know.  So, in this case customer service wasn't an issue as no one was out anything.  

It would be real easy to figure out if my experience is unique... find a couple more of these boxes and go flipping the pad and impedence switch on the front and listen for that ring in the audio.  Put on a pair of headphones, clap your hands above the box and do the same.

Jim Dugger

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 07:31:04 PM »

Nathan Eldred wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 23:10

Sounds to me like your unit was broken.

I don't think so now.  Another A-Designs user reports the same thing from their unit.

steve@mojopie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 08:41:38 PM »

It sort of sounds like you've got a bad tube in this particular unit.

Steven Langer, Publisher
www.mojopie.com

mardyk

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 07:02:51 PM »

I've also heard the "ping". Only when switching the impedance switch though. Haven't thought about it much. The sound is stellar. I use it with an ATTY passive volume controller which allows me to drive the tubes and still be able to get a good level signal. Makes it more versatile.

gtoledo3

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 08:24:17 PM »

steve@mojopie wrote on Sun, 13 June 2004 01:41

It sort of sounds like you've got a bad tube in this particular unit.

Steven Langer, Publisher
www.mojopie.com

Exactly- the tube is most likely microphonic.

steve@mojopie

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 08:55:21 PM »

Some tubes (model or manufacturer) are more prone to being microphonic than others. Also, shipping can defeat even the hardiest of tubes. I had a mic pre shipped to me with a Mullard onboard. The shipping company cratered the Mullard tube even though the mic pre was in an industrial strength chassis and packed extremely well.

Steven Langer, Publisher
www.mojopie.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.