R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Beatles Rooftop Concert - What vocal mics are these?  (Read 20985 times)

archtop

Re: Beatles Rooftop Concert - What vocal mics are these?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:33:53 PM »

Randy I had heard once on the internets, that that was an extension/accessorie
for an AKG 251
Richard Williams

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

You mean 451.  However, the 451 didn't exist yet.  It's an AKG C28, with extension to the CK28 capsule.  It same tube and transformer as a C12, with an SDC capsule.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

archtop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »

who broke in and changed that 4 to a 2.

Yeah I meant 451.

Damn, led astray by the internets again.

[and subsequently set straight by the internets]
Richard Williams

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »

Archtop, see what happens when you read Gearslutz?  Wink

Anyway, here's a photo of one with a shorter type extension tube.  

http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/akg%20c29a%20with%20ck28.jpg
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

rnicklaus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I don't recall seeing these used other than The Beatles.
R.N.

rankus

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »

IIRC these mics were more of a fashion choice than sound?  (Less obstructive for the the cameras or something?)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

I thought that  The non extension C28 was sometimes used in the studio as a vocal mic also.  I bet someone knows for sure-  Looks like they liked these mics not only for fashion.-j

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »

Doesn't Paul use one for the Hey Jude video?

IIRC, I believe that in the Sympathy for the Devil film, Mick is using one without the extension tube, and with the pop screen cover.  Here's what they look like in that configuration:

http://www.saturn-sound.com/images/akg%20c28.jpg
studio info

Bill Mueller

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

While I have never used the C28, I have found the AKG 451 with a CK5 capsule to be an excellent vocal mic. It is a very high sensitivity mic with a stellar response and good pop rejection. I don't really know why it never caught on better. Maybe because it was pretty expensive and NOT a LDC.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

MagnetoSound

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »

For the sake of clarity ....

The microphone in question assumes the designated number of the associated extension tube that is fitted.

Thus, the mic becomes a C29A when fitted with the shorter VR29 extension tube, and it is known as
a C30A when fitted with the longer VR30 extension tube.

It is the C30A which you see on the rooftop.

The Hey Jude mic is a C29A.

These mics were very ubiquitous on pop television programmes from the early 1960s through the 70s, on both sides of the Atlantic, but particularly at the BBC.

The basic mic amp is the C28 which comes in a 6072 tube version (C28A/B) and a Nuvistor version (C28C).

They sound great. The 6072 version more so.

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »

I never knew that, Dan.  Thanks!
studio info

tom eaton

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 08 March 2008 21:17

I never knew that, Dan.  Thanks!

I'm shattered.  Doc said you knew it all, JJ.  And I believed him.

Can't you just go back up and edit your original answer?  It would make us all feel safe out here.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 05:04:27 AM »

It's definitely a weird one - the same mic, but the extension itself has a name, from the literature I have. I don't know of any way to order the mic without all three attachments either - all three come in a suspicious-looking case that you could NOT get on an airplane nowadays!

The Beatles used each version at different times, sitting, standing etc, We're told that Glyn chose them because of their excellent off-axis rejection - important on an album that was to have "no overdubs".

However, the visual appeal was no accident - supposedly the mics were designed for TV and stage announcements, something "slimline" to look good on TV.
Relax and float downstream...

MagnetoSound

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:18 AM »

I have edited corrections into my post above, as I now believe the extension tubes have 'VR' designations, in the same way as the VR1 and VR2.

The confusion arose from some very old BBC literature that I have,  which refers to the tubes as C29 and C30, and which I now believe to be inaccurate, as one of my short extension cases clearly has VR29 printed on it.

The extensions do, in fact, have C29A and C30A engraved on them, because the designation of the entire assembly changes  
as soon as the extension tube is added.

You can see now why there is so much confusion around these microphones .... I didn't mean to add to it!

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.