R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A must-see for any gearhead - "The Paradox of Choice"  (Read 5236 times)

PookyNMR

A must-see for any gearhead - "The Paradox of Choice"
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:28 PM »

I posted this on Lynn Fuston's forum, but this is so approriate that I thought I'd post it here too.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/93

Sometimes too much choice is not a good thing....
Nathan Rousu

downrazor11

Re: A must-see for any gearhead - "The Paradox of Choice"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »

that is how i feel when i sit down to write... great video

amorris

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »

I disagree with him completely.

McAllister

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »

Awesome.

Fucking brilliant.

I had feelings of this for a long time, but it's nice to hear them articulated.

Thanks for posting - I will pass it on.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

ella

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 08:45:07 PM »

Personally, I think that the real issues arise when one is trying to define oneself through choices made, as opposed to having a clear definition of self that then informs choice.

It's the difference between a poor craftsman buying every tool in sight and then blaming them for inferior craft and a good craftsman determining exactly which tools are needed to efficiently express through. Both have the same range of choices at hand.
"Learn as much as you can about anything that touches you. Be slow to anger, but tolerate no fools. Life is too short for anything else."
bbkong

littlehat

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »

Cool post.

Kudos.

Push the RED button!

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »

I love counter-intuitive revelations, and this is one.  I like analog gear with stepped switches for this very reason.  Digital eqs usually have sweepable center frequencies, which, for surgical repair may be nice, but do offer the choice of, say, 432.3 Hz versus 432.4 Hz, etc...     On the analog equivalent, however, there are huge gaps in what you can boost or cut.  While this approach is less surgical, per se, it also allows you to A/B and get on with life without wondering if it should've been the other setting, only a tenth of a cycle off from what you went with.  Surprised

Andrew
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Berolzheimer

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:33:50 PM »

He makes some good and thought provoking points, though I don't agree with him entirely- We don't all deal with choice the same way.  He's talking about his own experience, and doubtless lots of others too, but not everyone responds that way.  It's a matter of attachment I think- If you're attached to always getting the best, you'll often be disappointed that you didn't get it, but if you're happy just to have some good opions, you can have a world of possibilities and enjoy them, appreciate the ones you got to experience, rather than lamenting the ones you missed.  I think the attitude he's referring to is heavily conditioned into us by our consumer culture, but the solution is to learn to think for ourselves and set reasonable priorities, rather than limiting choices for everyone.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

patrick_wilson

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »

No.
It's not really that hard to get over yourself and take a chance.  

Fletcher

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:32:02 AM »

This "paralysis of analysis" has been a growing and continuing trend in audio... the bitch being that people think they can read about gear and understand how it will apply to their application... the reality is that reading about it is all well and good but you'll never know whether or not the hardware will suit your application until you try it.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

calaverasgrandes

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »

Like a lot of "speakers" he deals in absurd absolutes and math gimckry.  The several million possible stereos? Yeah but would you really put the $20 KLH speakers on the $1000 Harmon Kardon?
And dude at least wear your GOOD T-shirt with your jogging shorts.
That and I was waiting for him to just touch one of the laptops behind him.

PS. I do feel paralyzed by choice when I look at the list of plugins on my DAW. But not by their number.
Russ D'Arensbourg digital recordist, network technician, multi-instrumentalist.

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »

When someone starts talking about how freedom is bad for us because we're too stupid to handle it, I wait for the inevitable punchline. Sure enough, at the end of the video he proposes that the government should seize most of our income and redistribute it to people in the Third World, for our own good of course.

I find it hilarious when AE's profess these anti-technological ideas, when in their everday lives they INSIST on having certain mics, certain preamps, certain guitar pickups, certain guitar amps, certain tubes, et cetera, out of a range of several thousand choices, and they often prefer vintage gear that is impossible to reproduce because the materials and manufacturing techniques no longer exist. Ditch all the high-tech and stick to recording acoustic instruments on shellac 78's, and then we can talk.

Come to think of it, I've been listening to Pablo Casals' recordings of Bach's cello suites, made in the 1930's, and they blow away modern recordings musically AND sonically. I take it back, this Schwartz guy is a genius.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 18 queries.